6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2015 1:54 PM by Joel Cherney

Deleting Asian fonts

Emperor1212 Level 1

Can I delete all the Asian fonts from the Indesign dropdown menu? I don't speak any Asian languages so they just up ALOT of space that they don't need to.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Deleting Asian fonts
          winterm Level 4

In short: yes, you can.

Your OS?

For Win7, there might be good places to start:

Fonts supplied with Windows 7:

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/product.aspx?PID=161

MS has a list of all the fonts included with each of their products:

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/product.aspx

Be aware that on a Windows 7 installation, there are a lot fonts with the TrustedInstaller account attached.

MS obviously don't want you to remove this stuff. However, it's safe when you know what you're doing.

I could be far more specific here, but... your question isn't about ID, so it's a wrong place for it, I think...

• 2. Re: Deleting Asian fonts
            Emperor1212 Level 1

Actually it is about ID. I am most concerned about how a bunch of Asian fonts show up in my ID dropdown folder. (As I stated)....its alot of extra scrolling time that ads up. =)

I forgot to mention that I am on Yosemite. I have just deleted all that I could but there are still about 20 on the bottom of my ID dropdown.....oh well.

thanks.

=)

• 3. Re: Deleting Asian fonts
              winterm Level 4

Ah, haven't touched Macs for ages...

well, if your Asian fonts are installed on a system level, not application or document, than it's an OS question, not ID.

however, just try, it's doable.

And sure, BEFORE you do this: (1) make a copy of the files in the Fonts folder just in case you delete something you later need; (2) make a restore point (or how you call it on Mac...).

• 4. Re: Deleting Asian fonts
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I guess I don't understand why these are causing you such grief. Why scroll down that far if you don't need them?

• 5. Re: Deleting Asian fonts
                  winterm Level 4

Peter, people are just different.

I understand OP perfectly.

• 6. Re: Deleting Asian fonts
                    Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

(2) make a restore point (or how you call it on Mac...).

There's not really any such thing, unless you're using Time Machine. The need to make a restore point before performing any administrative action is more of a Windows thing, to be honest. My recollection from the last time I tried to remove system-installed Asian-language fonts on a Mac (10.8, maybe?) was that they automatically re-installed themselves unless you did it from the command line.

Here is a thread you ought to read before attempting to remove these fonts:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1617672

If you follow the links, you'll discover that Microsoft apps like Office require multilingual fonts to be installed in order for the apps (like Word) to function correctly.

I think of this as a usability issue; some operating systems (like Windows!) let you hide fonts that are required for multilingual support. This is the best of all possible worlds. You don't have to see the Asian fonts if you don't want to, but if your application developers are doing internationalization correctly and preparing their software for a global market, the apps can still see the fonts and not complain or break when their hard-fought Unicode implementation victories are rolled back by Americans who are alienated by seeing Asian font names in their lists and who want to remove clutter.

Yeah, I have a horse in this race   It'd be better if the app developers could write software that could be distributed internationally yet function correctly without eighteen million fonts installed at the system level. That being said, I find this current situation far better than requiring everyone who computes in a non-English language to jump through insane hoops to get their software working. That's the way it worked from, I dunno, the dawn of computing until 2005 or so.