3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2015 10:46 AM by cc_merchant

Fastest Computer for After Effects CC

mwfarris

I have a 27" imac late 2012, 3.4 GHz Intel i7 4 core, 32 GB 1600 MHz DDr3 ram, 3 terabyte fusion drive, Nividia GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB and a 128GB SSD drive for is only used for Media Cache for AE. My problem is that if I have a lot of layers/heavy duty composition, for ram preview, AE can take from 5 to 15 minutes and this is a real bummer on my creative process. Because as you know when you make some changes, you want to see what it looks like.

So this is what I would like to ask Todd and other AE programers who should know what computer components would allow AE to run at it's fastest and I don't mean minimum requirements. What would be the fastest PC computer that would give you the fastest Ram Previews for AE CC and how much of an improvement over my current system in 4K. I know you guys are working on making AE faster, so a system that would also work on the future faster AE version.

If your idea system is over $5000, then also please suggest something under $5000.

Also it would be nice if you guys would make a detailed video for the best preference settings for the current version to get the most speed.

I have been researching like crazy and find numerous ideas for the best system for AE CC but don't feel confident as to what the best answer is.

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Fastest Computer for After Effects CC
          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The X99 platform with the 8 Core 5960X and DDR4 2400+ would give you the best performance for AE as long as you have an SSD drive as well for AE cache. That is the current best platform out right now and easily handle 4K and 5K playback realtime at full resolution without dropping frames in other applications. The much greater bandwidth with DDr4 has really opened up a bottleneck with DDR3 systems in the media content world. That effects AE specifically because of the ram preview. That is the direction I would suggest.

Eric

ADK

• 2. Re: Fastest Computer for After Effects CC
            mwfarris Level 1

Thanks for that :-)

The GeForce GTX TITAN is a supported card and has a 6 and or 12 gigs on it and I have heard good things about it. I have read that the Quadro cards are slower and older technology than the GTX cards and a whole lot more money. If you ask Nividia what the fastest card for AE CC is, they will suggest the Quadro 6000, but they also admitted to me that they are not as fast as the GTX cards, basically I got the feeling they just wanted to sell me the most expensive card.

With that said, it seams to me that AE CC is not really using the video card to it's fullest, something that I have read. So please tell me what you think the best video card would give you the fastest Ram Previews.

Also is 32 gigs of ram enough?

• 3. Re: Fastest Computer for After Effects CC
              cc_merchant Level 4

For AE the video card is irrelevant. Any $ 30 card is OK for AE, since there is no CUDA acceleration used. 64 GB would be advisable for AE.