4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2007 5:42 AM by peterent

Building Flex 1.5 application with Flex 2

vijaykarthi
      I want my application to run in Flash player 7 or 8 onwards. So is it possible whether we can build flex 1.5 application with Flex 2.0 compiler? if yes could you give the compilation commands to use while compiling.

If not so is the Flex 1.5 SDK is free as Flex 2.0 SDK? so i can use Flex 1.5 compiler itself.

Thanks in Advance.
      Vijay Karthik
        • 1. Re: Building Flex 1.5 application with Flex 2
          jlingwai Level 1
          I don't believe so, because flex2 uses actionscript 3 and flash 7/8 use AS2.0
          as for the SDKs usually all SDK are free
          • 2. Re: Building Flex 1.5 application with Flex 2
            peterent Level 2
            You cannot use Flex Builder 2 to build Flex 1.5 applications, nor can you build for Flash Player 8 or earlier with Flex Builder 2. You can certainly use Flex Builder 2 as an regular text editor, but you will not be able to compile the files nor use syntax highlighting.

I actually don't know what we are charging for Flex 1.5 - I don't believe we sell it any longer, but you'd have to talk with Adobe sales about that.

Is there a reason you'd want to chose 1.5 over 2.0? I mean, Flex 2 SDK is free.
            • 3. Re: Building Flex 1.5 application with Flex 2
              vijaykarthi Level 1
              My website users will not be that much technical persons, so if I develop using Flex 2 and if the users flash player is lesser than flash player 9, they won't be able to see my website properly, mostly blank screen would be displayed, thats the only reason I wanted to go for Flex 1.5.
              If you have any code to detect the Flash player installed in client and provides auto update of Flash player 9 without user intervension would be higly helpful. Thanks jlingwai and Peter Ent for your answers.
              • 4. Re: Building Flex 1.5 application with Flex 2
                peterent Level 2
                How can you be sure they'll even have Flash Player 7? With Flex Builder 2, the HTML wrapper will have automatic player detection and will upgrade them. If they have anything earlier than Flash Player 7, they will have to be more involved in the upgrade; player 7 and after have the ability to automatically update themselves, but the end user still must approve the action. You can tell them to just pick the OK button when they see the dialog box.