17 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2015 6:29 PM by thomasa96460796

DNG 8.8 Does Not Recognize ORF files.

thomasa96460796 Level 1

I have the  new Olympus Mark II.  I have downloaded DNG 8.8.  It worked once converting ORF files to DNG so I could open them in PE 12.  Now the DNG converter will not recognize ORF files so they can be extracted. What to do?

• 1. Re: DNG 8.8 Does Not Recognize ORF files.
          Warunicorn Adobe Community Professional

The download page for DNG 8.8 says the E-M5 II should be supported so not sure what's going on there.

Did you try an uninstall/reinstall?

• 2. Re: DNG 8.8 Does Not Recognize ORF files.
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When pointing the DNG converter to your raw files, choose the FOLDER, but don't open it. The DNG converter works at the folder level.

• 3. Re: DNG 8.8 Does Not Recognize ORF files.
              thomasa96460796 Level 1

I am selecting a folder, but when I hit extract it responds "no folder has been selected."

• 4. Re: DNG 8.8 Does Not Recognize ORF files.
                thomasa96460796 Level 1

I have not yet tried to uninstall/reinstall, but will do so.

• 5. Re: DNG 8.8 Does Not Recognize ORF files.
                  thomasa96460796 Level 1

Control panel does not list the Adobe DNG converter as a program

• 6. Re: DNG 8.8 Does Not Recognize ORF files.
                    ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is what "selecting a folder" looks like on Windows, the folder is listed up in the folder list as well as the selected item:

And here is how the settings look before clicking the Convert (not Extract) button:

And the DNGC 8.8 does convert a folder of E-M5 II ORFs:

• 7. Re: DNG 8.8 Does Not Recognize ORF files.
                      thomasa96460796 Level 1

I am using it exactly as you suggest, but DNG is refusing to respond as I indicated above.

• 8. Re: DNG 8.8 Does Not Recognize ORF files.

EDIT:  Can you upload one of these errant ORFs to www.dropbox.com and post a public share link to it, here?

• 9. Re: DNG 8.8 Does Not Recognize ORF files.

And maybe the first thing would be to click the About DNG Converter and see what version is reported in case it isn't 8.8 like you think it is.

• 10. Re: DNG 8.8 Does Not Recognize ORF files.
                            thomasa96460796 Level 1

Well, I am not sure what happened here.  Last night I shut down my computer completely.  This morning when I started it up, I opened the DNG converter, went through the same steps; and Voila, it worked!  That is to say it worked with the ORF Raw files.  Olympus has a new file name for the high resolution files that the MII is capable of.  It is OLI.  DNG did not convert those files, but I am pretty sure it does not claim to work on OLI.  I can open those files in the Olympus software and convert them to TIFF, which is OK for the short term.  But getting the Raw files converted was a major step since I shoot almost everything in Raw.  Many thanks for all your help and suggestions.

• 11. Re: DNG 8.8 Does Not Recognize ORF files.

The DNG Converter 8.8 will recognize the E-M5 Mark II 64-megapixel ORF files although the first time I ran it, it ran out of memory on my 8GB system with only 2.3GB free.  I exited PS which freed up not too much more memory and it worked after that.

Here is the same raw file opened in ACR 8.8:

What is an OLI and why would it be better than an ORF?  In other words, is there a reason you're shooting OLI files that Adobe software won't recognize instead of ORFs that it will?

• 12. Re: DNG 8.8 Does Not Recognize ORF files.
                                thomasa96460796 Level 1

Olympus has a new feature with this camera where it takes 8 shots, each 1/2 megapixel off from the other, using the image stabilization system to slightly adjust the sensor.  The camera then combines those shots into a 40 megapixel jpg and a 60 megapixel raw.  This feature can only work when a tripod is used.  I thought the raw product would have an ORF extension; but when I used it for the first time yesterday, I see that it has an ORI extension.  I just went back and looked at the results of the DNG conversion.  The ORF file from the High Resolution features is about 100 MB.  The DNG conversion results in a 44 MB file.

• 13. Re: DNG 8.8 Does Not Recognize ORF files.
                                  thomasa96460796 Level 1

First, I made a typo.  The mystery file extension is ORI, not OLI..  It appears that some of my high resolution shots produce a jpg and and ORF and an ORI.  I called Olympus customer support to ask what the ORI is and the person trying to help me had no idea, nor did his supervisor.  They told me to check with Adobe.  I currently have PS12, which won't accept ACR 8.8, that is why I am using the DNG converter.  I am going to give Adobe customer support a call.  This experience is making me think I should switch to Photoshop CC.  I would much prefer to be able to open my RAW files just as you have pictured above.  Also, curiously, the DNG converter is converting my RAW high resolution shots successfully, but the file size drops from 100MB to 44MB.  Another reason to consider an Adobe upgrade is to avoid losing data.

• 14. Re: DNG 8.8 Does Not Recognize ORF files.

I understand what the high-res mode of the camera is--a combination of 8-shots.  I was asking why you weren't just using the high-res ORF files that are 64-megapixel and 100 megabytes with the DNG Converter.

What do you want Adobe CS to tell you besides buy a cloud version of something?  I mean it isn't news to Adobe that they've only released the ACR 8.8 plug-in for PS and otherwise only the DNGC 8.8, not Lightroom 5.8 or ACR 8.8 for PSE13, even.  If you had PSE13 there is a way to hack ACR 8.8 Photoshop plug-in version to work with it, by doing a manual rename-unzip-with-7zip-copy-paste install, but I doubt that works with PSE12 and PSE12 will never be able to be updated to ACR 8.8.  I'm thinking things are dysfunctional because LR 6 and ACR 9 are already supposed to be out by now and Adobe doesn't want to waste time getting ACR 8.8 ready for PSE13 nor a lot more time getting LR 5.8 ready which probably would halt progress on LR 6.

Are you using PSE-specific things in your workflow or are you using it just because it is cheaper or it's all you've figured out so far?  I use Lightroom to drive Photoshop and have the $10/month Photography Plan that includes access to the latest versions of each as long as I keep paying.  There is no version of LR that works with the Mark II ORFs, yet, though, so if I had that camera I'd be using the DNG Converter, myself, but I don't so I don't have to.

Part of the size difference could be a difference in the size of the embedded JPG preview.  Part could be that DNGs are compressed more than the ORFs.  I don't know how many bits of data the high-res ORFs have and if any of those bits are thrown away or not which could also decrease the size of the DNG.  Typically DNGs hold all the raw data bits so I don't think that would be a reason the file is smaller.  You might experiment with the DNG options to include the full-size JPG and see how big the files are compared to the original ORFs and make sure the lossy compression is turned OFF.  Lossy means data does get thrown away.

• 15. Re: DNG 8.8 Does Not Recognize ORF files.
                                      thomasa96460796 Level 1

I think it was time for me to upgrade from PSE 12 to PS CC anyway.  Plus I can use ACR directly on the files that my camera produces.  I originally bought PSE just to save money and to learn, but at this point, I think can constructively use the greater options of PS CC.  I plan on experimenting with the Hi Res shots a lot.  It's an interesting technical development.  Olympus is saying they may be able to do the Hi Res shots in 1/60th of a second in the reasonably near future.  We shall see.  In the meantime, I will try to learn what I can from this equipment.

• 16. Re: DNG 8.8 Does Not Recognize ORF files.

If you are going to get PS-CC then the Photography Plan for $10/month is the cheapest option.  PS-CC by itself costs $20/month.

And if you haven't, already, you can test-drive PS-CC for a month to make sure you're still satisfied with that decision.

• 17. Re: DNG 8.8 Does Not Recognize ORF files.
                                          thomasa96460796 Level 1

I signed up for the $10 plan.  Many thanks.