1 2 Previous Next 57 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2017 4:33 PM by gpolkadot

Disable automatic updates in Adobe Reader DC?

kilbys54004913 Level 1

Is it possible to disable automatic updates in the Adobe Reader DC? It's not under preferences where it used to be.

• 1. Re: Disable automatic updates in Adobe Reader DC?
          Adobe - Steve Cordero Adobe Employee

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC is set up for continuous updating.

You can modify those settings via the Adobe Customization Wizard DC or the Windows Registry

For the Windows Registry setting look here:  Windows Updates

• 2. Re: Disable automatic updates in Adobe Reader DC?
            marcelk45731772 Level 1

please @ the option in the program self (like in the last version)

• 3. Re: Disable automatic updates in Adobe Reader DC?
              dprout69 Level 1

What is the logic behind this decision?

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Disable automatic updates in Adobe Reader DC?
                DixonGrfx Level 1

I am an IT Manager for my company and we use a software called DeepFreeze to put the workstations into stasis mode after they are setup. No updates are permanent unless we unlock the software first. So we have always disabled automatic updates to keep the computers from wasting time and computer resources. I exported the registry key with the AU off and can quickly "turn off" AU in the future.  But it's a bit presumptuous of Adobe to remove the controls from the preferences. At least they didn't remove "Check For Updates" under the Help menu.

• 5. Re: Disable automatic updates in Adobe Reader DC?
                  JCF-MCC Level 1

In an academic environment, the inability to disable updates is unacceptable.  We have numerous computers that we intentionally never update.  For example, all student computers never update; they are frozen with a program called DeepFreeze.

And even for our employee machines, no users have admin rights, so they cannot update the program themselves.

In addition, registry hacks are an unacceptable alternative to us.  If something goes wrong, we have to explain to our CIO that we used a registry hack, and that is not going to go over well.

For now, we are going to hold off upgrading to the DC version until Adobe implements an official way to disable updates.  If they refuse to implement an official method in the coming months, we'll just start using the browsers' built-in PDF readers and not install Adobe Reader at all.

4 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Disable automatic updates in Adobe Reader DC?
                    Adobe - Steve Cordero Adobe Employee

You can turn these updates OFF by simply customizing your deployment package with the Adobe Customization Wizard DC (Adobe - Acrobat : For Windows : Adobe Customization Wizard DC).  This way you have more control over what you users have and their default configuration.

Also remember that if you are deploying this within an organization (company, school, enterprise ) you need to sign the Reader Distribution License Agreement:  Adobe - Adobe Runtimes / Reader Distribution License Agreement

• 7. Re: Disable automatic updates in Adobe Reader DC?
                      pwillener Level 8

Jason Freeman wrote:

... we'll just start using the browsers' built-in PDF readers and not install Adobe Reader at all.

That is a very poor replacement for Adobe Reader; many modern PDF features are not handled by these browser-owned PDF viewers.

If you are unhappy with the Reader DC update policy, install Reader XI and disable updates.  But make sure that your IT staff installs security updates!

• 8. Re: Disable automatic updates in Adobe Reader DC?
                        dprout69 Level 1

Adobe Reader DC is a very poor replacement for Adobe Reader 11... I would strongly suggest Adobe rethink what they've done.

• 9. Re: Disable automatic updates in Adobe Reader DC?
                          pwillener Level 8

I think if the GUI for Reader DC were kept the same as in previous Reader versions, the reaction would have been much less strong.  New design/layout/interface always causes an outcry.

Bugs are a different matter; they can be reported at https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

• 10. Re: Disable automatic updates in Adobe Reader DC?
                            dprout69 Level 1

"I think if the GUI for Reader DC were kept the same as in previous Reader versions, the reaction would have been much less strong."

Yes... and it also would have been very helpful had it not been so buggy, not been so obviously geared toward spending way too much time gathering the user's info (aka spyware), not had boxes present which can't even be closed, not had features missing like being able to control whether or not you update automatically... etc etc etc., yes but other than all that it's great (SARCASM)

• 11. Re: Disable automatic updates in Adobe Reader DC?
                              Szerlo Level 1

Adobe, what is wrong with you guys!?!

Stop patronizing the people and let us decide about if, when, why, we want to update - without any hassle (Registry,yeah right, thanks a lot!).

• 12. Re: Disable automatic updates in Adobe Reader DC?
                                BJM III Level 1

Adobe is going backwards for sure.  The new GUI stinks.  It is un-intuitive and I'm constantly searching for tools.  I can't believe they decided to do away with the toolbars.  Everything looks blurry and the icons appear to have been created using crayons.  They've invaded Outlook with Send & Share, They're forcing extra steps to save something.  And the response is to configure a roll-out package?  Ummm  - Creative Cloud (the SLOWEST software in the land) handles deploying the software, not me. 

• 13. Re: Disable automatic updates in Adobe Reader DC?
                                  tims48186235 Level 1

Hi all,

I was successfully able to prevent Adobe Reader DC from updating using the following registry key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\DC\FeatureLockDown]

"bUpdater"=dword:00000000

I too work in a public environment and use Deep Freeze. I also get tired of having to figure out certain registry entries in order to disable automatic updates for various programs and I refuse to use crappy customization tools.

• 14. Re: Disable automatic updates in Adobe Reader DC?
                                    St_Ranger Level 1

Adobe should rethink their (bad) decision.

They might be able to twist the arms of poor regular users and force automated updates on them.

But for any professional environment, the autoupdates are unacceptable!

1. It goes against policies (and makes the work of system administrators more complicated).

2. It screws up individual's environment and work process (I don't want it updating when I have my projects open in a particular state, and taking my laptop hostage by making the adobe reader unavailable until I reboot).

3. I don't want it to use my computer's resources at the time when they might be critical: the bandwidth to download the updates, the CPU when I am doing something time critical, etc.

I've done it before with other software: when I cannot control/disable program's autoupdate, it gets removed from the computer. Thankfully, there are now alternatives: FoxIt, PDF-Xchange, Sumatra, Preview (Mac), to name a few.

Adobe, I hope you are listening!

• 15. Re: Disable automatic updates in Adobe Reader DC?
                                      erpguy8c Level 1

tims48186235 wrote:

Hi all,

I was successfully able to prevent Adobe Reader DC from updating using the following registry key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\DC\FeatureLockDown]

"bUpdater"=dword:00000000

I too work in a public environment and use Deep Freeze. I also get tired of having to figure out certain registry entries in order to disable automatic updates for various programs and I refuse to use crappy customization tools.

adding that registry key also gets rid of the "Check for updates" option in Adobe Reader DC.  no more automatic updates for Reader DC AND no more ability to manually check for updates.

forced automatic updates for Reader DC is much like the upcoming Windows 10 operating system.  Win10 will have automatic updates always on.and only Pro & Enterprise users of Win10 (not Core/Home users) can defer/delay automatic updates.

I'll use Sumatra PDF more often than Acrobat Reader DC but I'll keep both.

• 16. Re: Disable automatic updates in Adobe Reader DC?
                                        St_Ranger Level 1

From what I understand, setting that key value to "1" will disallow automatic updates (or it may ask you when one is available), and it doesn't remove "check for updates".

Yet another alternative is blocking all outbound connections for the Reader program at the firewall level.

That can be done even with "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security" (or any other firewall you might be using), by creating an outbound rule for "C:\program files\adobe\acrobat reader dc\reader\acrord32.exe" (or whatever your path/program name is (it is different e.g. for a 64-bit system))

Then, when you want to update it, you can turn that rule off temporarily.

• 17. Re: Disable automatic updates in Adobe Reader DC?
                                          erpguy8c Level 1

adobe-reader-dc-checkupdatesoption-gone.png

nope, St_Ranger.  Adding the "bUpdater" registry entry and setting it to 0 not only disables automatic updates, it also removes the "Check for Updates" option from the Help menu of Acrobat Reader DC.  Proof is in the picture - I took an image of this on my family's Win7 computer with Acrobat Reader DC installed.

• 18. Re: Disable automatic updates in Adobe Reader DC?
                                            St_Ranger Level 1

nope, St_Ranger.  Adding the "bUpdater" registry entry and setting it to 0 not only disables automatic updates, it also removes the "Check for Updates" option from the Help menu of Acrobat Reader DC.  Proof is in the picture - I took an image of this on my family's Win7 computer with Acrobat Reader DC installed.

Please, pay attention, there is a difference between "0" and "1".

I wrote:

From what I understand, setting that key value to "1" will disallow automatic updates (or it may ask you when one is available), and it doesn't remove "check for updates".

I have it set on my computer and checked that "Check for Updates" is available.

In principle, there are several valid values of that key (something like 5), and if you search, you would be able to find meaning of the different values.

• 19. Re: Disable automatic updates in Adobe Reader DC?
                                              samarax Level 1

Today I found what APPEARS to be a simple way to disable automatic updates.  Windows 7, Adobe Reader X

In Adobe Reader X:  Edit | Preferences | Categories.

At the very bottom of the list on the left-had side is something called Updater.  It gives three choices, one of which is: Do not download or install updates automatically.

I hope it works.

In the meantime, I agree with all re Adobe high-handedness.

• 20. Re: Disable automatic updates in Adobe Reader DC?
                                                DavidR_SF Level 1

This caused a shutdown of a computer I need to remotely access. I had to have someone physically go to the location to restart it.

This is TOTALLY arrogant and unacceptable behavior.

If we can't easily undo it, we'll pull Acrobat from our computers.

• 21. Re: Disable automatic updates in Adobe Reader DC?
                                                  wiggaw92850970 Level 1

"If we can't easily undo it, we'll pull Acrobat from our computers."

Looks like you'll have to do that.  But it's probably just as well since it will help out the competition like Foxit and Sumatra even further.  I've already done it, much like dumping Flash as well..  

• 22. Re: Disable automatic updates in Adobe Reader DC?
                                                    SASanderson Level 1

This constant nagging to install a monthly paid update to Acrobat DC is just as annoying to a poor individual user as it is to corporate users. I can find no way to disable it on my Mac. I am content to use my old version of Acrobat that came with Creative Suite 6 rather than pay Adobe $12-15 a month for the new version. I don't want to uninstall that old version of Acrobat just to stop the nagging.

• 23. Re: Disable automatic updates in Adobe Reader DC?
                                                      pwillener Level 8

I have never seen a prompt to update Adobe Reader to Adobe Acrobat; can you post a screenshot of that?

• 24. Re: Disable automatic updates in Adobe Reader DC?
                                                        SASanderson Level 1

It is a prompt to update Acrobat Pro from CS6 to the new AcrobatDC.

• 25. Re: Disable automatic updates in Adobe Reader DC?
                                                          jameso33413458 Level 1

I wholeheartedly agree with many on this post. As a software developer that has many PDFs open at many times, and can't just rebppt my PC when an app decides it wants me to, I need to be able to control when things update... I never let Flash update on it's own. But with Acrobat, frequently there are rebooting requirements, since you are forcing a reboot, we must be give control. 

• 26. Re: Disable automatic updates in Adobe Reader DC?
                                                            richardc49015764 Level 1

phew just installed Foxit and rid myself of this parasitic viral filth that it Adobe Acrobat Reader DC

• 27. Re: Disable automatic updates in Adobe Reader DC?
                                                              richardc49015764 Level 1

what did you replace flash with? I would like to get rid of that "Auto-Updater" parasite as well.

• 28. Re: Disable automatic updates in Adobe Reader DC?
                                                                wiggaw92850970 Level 1

I didn't.  I just dumped it.  The fact is smartphones and tablets can't use Flash and more & more websites are switching to HTML

A couple of years ago, I couldn't do this, but now enough websites have jumped on board that I finally got rid of it.  If you go to youtube and you are still using Flash, it will display your video in Flash whether you like it or not.  If you uninstalled Flash, then youtube will default to using HTML.  More and more websites are doing this using an auto-detect system.

You can still use Chrome if you have to use Flash, but for Firefox and IE, I don't need it anymore.

• 29. Re: Disable automatic updates in Adobe Reader DC?
                                                                  St_Ranger Level 1

There is Pepper Flash Player.

I am not ready to fully "endorse" it, but it's worth taking a look at it.

It it probably not available for Firefox, but only for the "chromium"-based browsers. Slimjet includes it by default.

A possible deterrent is that it is maintained by Google, - so there might be privacy issues (I haven't looked at that at all, - it's just a guess based on the overall desire of Google to collect information).

So, it's a "pick your poison" situation for when you need still need a Flash player.

• 30. Re: Disable automatic updates in Adobe Reader DC?
                                                                    atilatgm Level 1

Hey guys, thank you all for the directions. Done all that's been listed and will pull the plug on installing/running Adobe Reader DC in my family's computers and those of my company upon software maintenance.

Adobe does not seem to understand their reader is already one of the heaviest on resources, and annoying users with cumbersome procedures (it is, for regular users) will just enforce the stampede towards competitors.

In regard to accepting license agreements, noone even reads them, home users or system administrators. There is no negotiation of clauses or any sort of customization for anything the user does not agree with. For paid software it's even more dull, since the "contract" is presented AFTER purchase. That is why software agreements will never have any value to users. Though their acceptance may exempt Adobe and other developers from any legal claims, they just worsen user irritation upon mention. People want and have the right to easily manage what software is unnecessarily spending resources and devouring their 3G/4G data limits. Softwares that do not comply with that are subject to abandonment. In fact, the plain refusal of developers to attend to user basic needs (not to have this hassle, for example) is what starts the search for alternative applications. Should they just maintain things running smoothly for the user (you need updates for that, we get it, but we need to update only when it is convenient), the natural inertia would keep them using the software forever.

• 31. Re: Disable automatic updates in Adobe Reader DC?
                                                                      JCF-MCC Level 1

So it's near the end of 2015, and there is still no GUI for disabling the automatic updater?  Come on, Adobe.  Pretend that you have corporate customers that you give a crap about.

• 32. Re: Disable automatic updates in Adobe Reader DC?
                                                                        tomh54714 Level 1

A lot of great ideas here, I see people mention Deep Freeze. I installed that for a bit but when the trial ran out I didn't quite have the money at the time for a license so I went with a free alternative, reboot restore rx. I use it to eliminate updates I don't want so you might want to consider it as there may be some updates that you'll want to install. I think if you turn it off entirely you might miss out on some really critical updates. Some food for thought

• 33. Re: Disable automatic updates in Adobe Reader DC?
                                                                          ABDev Level 1

Hi,

Here is my soft : The specified item was not found.

• 34. Re: Disable automatic updates in Adobe Reader DC?
                                                                            St_Ranger Level 1

Nothing personal, but why would anybody in a good state of mind run a program posted by some anonymous person to a wide-open forum?

That's a recipe to have your computer "owned" by hackers.

• 35. Re: Disable automatic updates in Adobe Reader DC?
                                                                              ABDev Level 1

I'm sure you have a lot of installed software which you don't know the developers. Am I wrong ?

Too, I haven't bought WinDev (€ 1.650 w/o Tax) in order to code some malwares ... Please be a bit realistic !

It is why the sources are given (CNU/GPL v2 license). But to read them, you need WinDev.

Here is a screenshot if you don't trust me ...

2015-12-30_18-58-40.png

You can test it too in a sandbox if you want !

• 36. Re: Disable automatic updates in Adobe Reader DC?
                                                                                SASanderson Level 1

@JCF-MCC, Or, even individual customers. Adobe, are you listening? I don't want to be prompted to "upgrade" my functional copy of Acrobat Pro to a monthly paid upgrade to Acrobat DC each and every time I boot up my computer. Give us a way to stop this nagging.

• 37. Re: Disable automatic updates in Adobe Reader DC?
                                                                                  St_Ranger Level 1

@You convinced me!

Sorry, now, it is obvious to me that you spent 1650 Euro on this package in order to produce free Adobe-sh*t-disabler.

How could I miss that simple argument? Stupid me...

Well, I have a small excuse: you didn't post the purchase receipt... So, it could've been a cracked copy... But now that you've told me that you purchased it, I believe you.

And I believe you that the compiled .exe and .dll's came from that source.

I am not even wondering why such a simple program should be using several DLLs... (as opposed to a single small .exe file). You must be a great developer, since you own that expensive IDE.

• 38. Re: Disable automatic updates in Adobe Reader DC?
                                                                                    ABDev Level 1

WinDev uses its own dependencies, it is why there are some DLLs.
                                                                                    If I want to diffuse only the executable file, you must install the framework, which is available here : http://www.pcsoft.fr/st/telec/windev20/framework20_WD.htm

That software was developed with the previous version of WinDev, not recompiled with the latest because no utility.

• 39. Re: Disable automatic updates in Adobe Reader DC?
                                                                                      St_Ranger Level 1
                                                                                      "Never use a cannon to kill a fly." – Confucius

The same job can be done with a-few-lines of script using one of the built-in scripting methods in Windows (WSH (.vbs and .js), .bat/.cmd/.btm, .ps1, ...), without any expensive IDE.

And that script would be all-text, thus, very transparent.

Your desire to help others is commendable, but you need to learn the proper ways for the results to be useful and helpful. Those proper ways include thoughtful approach and appropriate technical tools.

Bonne Année!

1 2 Previous Next