5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2015 2:22 AM by Mauro Romano

Data encryption policies and personal passwords lost with the upgrade from Acrobat Pro to Acrobat DC

Mauro Romano Level 1

Good evening.

I searched similar discussions, but I haven't found anyone. I apologize if this is a duplicate question.

I have noticed that after the update of Acrobat DC, my password settings (Adobe Pro) weren't updated into "Security > Password Encryption" menu.

Without warnings or clear explanation before installing the new sw: this is a real problems if somebody have many policies based on different behaviors and/or different customer targets.

Now, how can I recover my lost settings?

Many thanks in advance.

Mauro Romano

• 1. Re: Data encryption policies and personal passwords lost with the upgrade from Acrobat Pro to Acrobat DC
          Steven.Madwin Adobe Employee

Hi Mauro,

The good news is when you create a custom Security Policy they are saved in your user space, and remain there even if the application is uninstalled. I understand that you would like user preferences to migrate as part of the upgrade, and I'll enter a request in our bug database for that, but in the mean time let's get the file moved.

We'll start by finding the original file. We're looking for the file security-policy.acrodata, but it's location is version dependent and platform dependent.

If you're on a Windows machine look in C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Acrobat\<version>\Security

On a Mac look in <User name>:Library:Application Support:Adobe:Acrobat:<version>:Security

In both cases "user name" will be your log in name and "version" will be the major version of Acrobat you were using (for example 10.0 or 11.0).  Once you locate the security-policy.acrodata file the next task is to copy it to the new Security folder. The path will be the same, except the "version" will be either "2015" or "DC" depending on which version of Acrobat was installed.

Once the file has been copied (please make sure Acrobat is closed before copying the file) the next time you launch Acrobat the missing policy will be on the Encrypt menu, which you get to via the Protect tool. With an unencrypted file open, click the Protect icon on the right-hand Tools panel and then on the toolbar select the Encrypt menu and you should see the missing polices listed on the drop-down menu.

I hope this helps,

Steve

• 2. Re: Data encryption policies and personal passwords lost with the upgrade from Acrobat Pro to Acrobat DC
            Mauro Romano Level 1

Hi Steve.

Thank you very much for your quick, correct and polite reply.

Please, consider to suggest to solve other issues that I noticed when replacing this file:

1)

The "protection" menu doesn't display the policy list for the saved items (it's quite boaring to have to enter into the policy menu to select a saved set: at least for people like me that have the steady habit on the direct selection from the menu items).

2)

Last but not the least, the saved policies don't works.

I tested an old policy, but the document hasen't recived the modify (I have opened it with mac preview and I was able to copiy a portion, without warning with the password input mask...).

This is a huge issue...

Following, few screenshots to better explain the issue:

1) Replaced file into right subfolder (please, note the creation time):

1-Copied File.jpg

2) Into Acro DC (Protection Menu is blank - even if I have rebooted my mac):

2-Menu issue.jpg

3) The policies are still there (with correct creation date&time):

3-ExistingPolicies.jpg

4) Saved file with protection (assumed true...): the protection state is "allowed" ("consentito" in italian language) for all the items...

4-Allowed changes.jpg

5) The acid test: mac preview permits changes (never occurred before with password protection)...

5-Mac preview.jpg

Any other suggestions to solve this trouble?

RGDS

• 3. Re: Data encryption policies and personal passwords lost with the upgrade from Acrobat Pro to Acrobat DC
              Mauro Romano Level 1

Another one:

After saving a file with password protection (normal procedure), there aren't any padlock icons around that alerts the presence of the lock (as in the past versions of AcroPRO).

Schermata 2015-04-08 alle 09.11.54.JPG

Please, note the name on the top of the window that differs from the previous posted  image: (PROTETTO), that it means (LOCKED), is appended by Acrobat.

I have also noticed that with one "saved policy", after applying it, the command "Save" is disabled: it's only possible to use the "Save AS" command. When applying a random password, the command "Save" works:

Schermata 2015-04-08 alle 09.37.10.JPG

So, I assume that copying the file "security-policy.acrodata" is not enought...

• 4. Re: Data encryption policies and personal passwords lost with the upgrade from Acrobat Pro to Acrobat DC
                Steven.Madwin Adobe Employee

Hi Mauro,

As part of the UI redesign the Document Message Bar has been given up in order to provide more screen real estate for the document itself. However, the paddle-lock icon is still displayed at the top of the left-hand navigation pane. If the navigation pane is not open (displayed) you can open it by clicking on the small triangle on the far left of the screen mid way between the top and bottom.  If you click on the lock icon it will open the Nav panel where there is a link to Document Properties dialog.

Steve

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Data encryption policies and personal passwords lost with the upgrade from Acrobat Pro to Acrobat DC
                  Mauro Romano Level 1

Thank you Steve.

I apologize: never seen the little triangle on the left side to open the navi bar.

And thanks for the correct term "paddle-lock".

I hope somebody could solve the major issue about the saved protection policies.