6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2015 9:37 AM by A.T. Romano

can I combine 2 different projects into 1 movie?

drooling piston

In Adobe premier elements 13

I worked on video clips from a 3 day weekend separating them by day and working each day as a separate project. Now i want to combine the 3 separate projects (days) into 1 movie. How do I import day 2 and day 3 into day 1's project?

I want to burn them to a DVD as 1 combined movie.

• 1. Re: can I combine 2 different projects into 1 movie?
          ghijohansson

You can't (at least not in PE 12 which I use).

So export each project as a separate movie. Then create a project where you import your 3 exported files. Combine them into one and bur to DVD.

• 2. Re: can I combine 2 different projects into 1 movie?
            drooling piston Level 1

Thanks! I'll give that a try.

I was surprised it wouldn't recognize or import its own .prel files.

• 3. Re: can I combine 2 different projects into 1 movie?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

drooling piston

Premiere Elements (any version) will not allow you to import one project file (.prel) into another.

If you are a Windows user, then

a. Copy/Paste Insert using ClipMate in conjunction with Premiere Elements

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe-clipmate-copypaste-between-pe.html

ClipMate is a Windows only software.

or

b. For each of project 2 and 3, export the Timeline content  to a file whose format is consistent with the project settings for project 1.

Then import those exports into project 1 to join the project already in progress there. Then export the three from project 1.

Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...From your thread title versus the information in the body of your thread, I am not sure if there are 2 or 3 projects involved here. It sounds like 3.

• 4. Re: can I combine 2 different projects into 1 movie?
                drooling piston Level 1

I tried this and it appeared to work (test #1).

But when I burned the whole project to a DVD so I could play it on the TV, the quality was poor. I'm editing helmet camera footage taken while riding my dirt bike.

(test #2) I drug an un-edited clip into a new PEL project, burned that to a DVD, played it in my blue ray player and this test piece looked crisp & smooth like HD should.

test #3, (I have a total of 3 segments), I burned one edited segment to a DVD and it played well too. this is what leads me to believe the double rendering or compressing (Saving ot once in an AV file to the computer, AND re-rendering it to play as a DVD) has made the end result look like an old 8mm film kinda studdering. I'm noticing I have to use very minimal lighting, saturation or coloring adjustments too or I end up with a studdering end result.

• 5. Re: can I combine 2 different projects into 1 movie?
                  drooling piston Level 1

A. T. Romano.

Clipmate is a surprisingly powerful clip board app and did work well for me. I was able to copy & paste segment #2 into the work area of segment #1, then copied and pasted segment #3 into the first segment that now had #1 & #2.  I did a test burn of the whole thing together (1,2 &3) to a DVD and I could not notice any reduced picture quality. The web site for clipmate suggested that sometimes sound effects & transitions didn't copy through. I didn't have any in yet so I can't speak as to weather they did or not.

My computer will work with AEL13 but the program brings it to its knees. That is part of the reason I was working on this project in 3 separate parts, less to hold in RAM, less page file writing, etc. Since starting with AEL13 I have now doubled the amount of RAM, added a second hard drive and upgraded the CPU. Had I know I was going to do all that I probably would have bought a whole new computer.

Thanks for the help!

• 6. Re: can I combine 2 different projects into 1 movie?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

drooling piston

Thanks for the follow up with the great news that ClipMate in conjunction with Premiere Elements worked for you for copy/paste insert between Premiere Elements projects.

My write up

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: ClipMate Copy/Paste Between Projects

whose link I posted earlier details all the results to be expected from version to version in this procedure.

The copy/paste insert step at the end can be delayed so you did a great job working through the procedure to get it to work for you.

Best wishes

ATR