• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I stop the side toolbar from appearing every time I open a pdf in Acrobat DC?

New Here ,
Apr 07, 2015 Apr 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right side tool bar is annoying in Acrobat DC . How can this be fixed?

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 07, 2015 Apr 07, 2015

Hi there,

The new "right hand toolbar" in Acrobat DC is always on by default, proving instant access to frequently used tools. That said, we're definitely hearing a # of customers that want Acrobat DC to "remember" the last state. So if you close it, it'll remain closed when you open it next.   Looking to have a fix in place in next ~3 months here. 

Thank you for the feedback.

Jon Perera

Vice President

Adobe Document Cloud

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

The new "right hand toolbar" in Acrobat DC is always on by default, proving instant access to frequently used tools. That said, we're definitely hearing a # of customers that want Acrobat DC to "remember" the last state. So if you close it, it'll remain closed when you open it next.   Looking to have a fix in place in next ~3 months here. 

Thank you for the feedback.

Jon Perera

Vice President

Adobe Document Cloud

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While you're at it, any chance of renaming "Adobe Acrobat Reader DC" and removing the "Acrobat" part from its name?

Myself and others have been trying to explain to people for years the difference between Acrobat and Reader, and now it is all for nothing because of the confusing name of this new product. It's a very bad marketing move...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably won't happen. Many of us have already complained extensively about the name and they believe they are right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We definitely know about this issue, and are working on a few approaches to make this more obvious. [With naming, there's rarely a perfect solution.]

Jon Perera

Vice President

Adobe Document Cloud

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2015 Apr 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3 Months is unacceptable.  Those of us in and out of these files all day long it's a terrible design and needs to be addressed immediately.  Put the functionality in the menu, just do it quickly!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2015 Oct 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could not agree more whole-heartedly!  Here it is October 2,2015, and as far as I can tell, the fonts are just as pale as ever, and there is STILL no way to disable DC so that it doesn't take up page space & make my page smaller!!!  Unbelievable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 26, 2015 Apr 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, VP JonRerera.

1. This is a very ugly design -- I understand Adobe wants users to pay money for those functions, but make it occupy users' precious screen space by default is a very awkward way. 

2. Acrobat DC does not really "remember" the last state!! Every time, when we open a pdf file, the tool pane will be on the right. You are wrong with your product !

3. As an computer software engineer, I do not think fixing this one takes ~3 months. It only need to switch the default mode, unless Adobe is unwilling to do it.

4. People have figured out how to solve the problem (smarter than Adobe engineer??)

Solution by

Go to the install directory, i.e." C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\AcroApp\ENU". Create a new subfolder (I used "Disabled"). Move 3 files from the "ENU" folder into the new "Disabled" folder: AppCenter_R.aapp & Home.aapp & Viewer.aapp. Open a PDF and no more Tool Pane!  I originally moved just the "Viewer" file but if you clicked on "Home" or "Tools" on the toolbar you couldn't go back to the "Document." Moving all 3 files takes care of that issue. Like a lot of people I don't and won't ever use any of the tools. I just want a reader. Let me know if this works for you.

----

Jon Perera

Vice President

Adobe Document Cloud

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2015 Apr 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you jerryANDtom,

Your method worked a treat for me... no more pesky Tools Pane in my documents.

Cheers,

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 27, 2015 Apr 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant, worked a treat for me  -  much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2015 Apr 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

" So if you close it, it'll remain closed when you open it next. " - did not work. The method described by jerryANDtom did. Just FYI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 04, 2015 May 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice, JerryAndTom!  Actually, I moved all the aapp files down into 'Disabled' folder - less cluttered look, trying to get back to core reader.  I kept the menu bar (F9 toggle).  Will see how it goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2015 May 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks jerryANDtom!  Worked!  Removed the sidebar very easily.  Took me three seconds and not three months. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2015 May 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the install directory, i.e." C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\AcroApp\ENU". Create a new subfolder (I used "Disabled"). Move 3 files from the "ENU" folder into the new "Disabled" folder: AppCenter_R.aapp & Home.aapp & Viewer.aapp. Open a PDF and no more Tool Pane!  I originally moved just the "Viewer" file but if you clicked on "Home" or "Tools" on the toolbar you couldn't go back to the "Document." Moving all 3 files takes care of that issue. Like a lot of people I don't and won't ever use any of the tools. I just want a reader. Let me know if this works for you.

I agree this is an ugly design. Might make sense on a tablet but not so much on my large screens.

I’ve tried removing the three files from the ENU folder on my Mac but they are automatically recreated when I open the next PDF, and the toolbar still shows up the right side of the window. Any idea how to make this removal "stick" on a Mac?

Linda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2015 May 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you jerryANDtom!  It worked as you said it would and gets rid of the Tools, which Adobe seems to think are more important than the average user does.

I hate "instant access" to seldom used tools being shoved down my throat and prefer to change defaults to suit my own needs, not what someone (Adobe) thinks the "commoners" need to use.  I was about to uninstall and go back to the previous version when I checked here out of frustration.

BTW, it might have been nice had Adobe (Jon Perera) told us this information in his reply rather than selling us on the Tools, but thank you jerryANDtom for your expertise on our behalf.  This doesn't mean Adobe isn't a great company, but come...work with us!

mm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2015 Jun 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks jerryANDtom.  Your work-around did the trick.  That sidebar is really annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2015 Aug 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This work for me very much! But if you use other language than ENG, you need to move files in other folder, RUS for mine!

Thank you for your trick!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2015 Oct 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not a trick, it's just common sense.  Normal people don't want to do shift-anything for something that should be the default.  This is not 1987 & WordStar word processing (LOL!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2015 Nov 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marvelous. Exactly as advertised. Quick and easy. Thank you both very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 10, 2015 Nov 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Man, you're the best

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2015 Nov 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMGGGGGGGGGG this totally worked!!!!!!! TY so much for posting this, saved my LIFE!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You Sir

I had problem of side pane is now solved

thanks & warm regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2018 Jul 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where the hell is the solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2018 Jun 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just created an account to say thank you for the steps to delete that toolbar completely. Even hidden the toolbar was insanely annoying.

It was clearly placed next to the scrollbar so it'd be clicked on by mistake.

Why didn't Adobe at least allow us to drag that minimised toolbar out of the way of the scrollbar? I'd have been happy just being allowed to make the scrollbar bigger. Oh well, its gone for good now, no chance I'll click that annoying toolbar ever again. Also no chance I'll ever again purchase any Adobe software or recommend it.

Thanks jerryANDtom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2018 Jul 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have nothing on my screen like that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines