• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Remediate to content slide; return to question; then continue on - using Captivate 8

New Here ,
Apr 07, 2015 Apr 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Captivate 8, I’m trying to remediate from a Knowledge Check question slide back to a content slide, then back to the KC question to try again, and then continue on from there.  On my first instance, this works fine.  However, the problems began on the second instance and continue on each instance thereafter. The settings on the KC question slides are all the same with the exception of which slide each jumps to for remediation.  I don't understand why it works the first time, but doesn’t work after that. On the second instance the question jumps back to the content slide, but then skips any subsequent slides.   Anyone had a similar experience?  Know of a workaround or what I might be doing wrong?

FYI, I'm using he E-Learning Uncovered Adobe Captivate 8 book by Elkins, Pinder, and Slade as a reference, and it clearly describes how to do this on page 183, "Remediation back to Content Slides - If students get a question wrong, you can branch back to one or several slides where the content was taught and then return them back to the quiz to retry the question.  To add remediation branching:  1) in the last attempt field on the question, set a Jump to Slide action to the first slide with the content.  2) On the last slide with the content, add a return to Quiz action on the slide's next button.  On the content slide, the Next button with the Return to Quiz action executes a Continue action under normal circumstances, but returns students to the quiz if that's where they came from."

Please see content map below:

Content
Mapping:

Slide 1 – Content

Slide 2 – Content

Slide 3 – Content

Slide 4 – Content

Slide 5 – Content

Slide 6 – Content

Slide 7 – Content

Slide 8 – Content

Slide 9 – Knowledge Check Question -Remediates back to slide 5 if user misses two attempts to answer; slide 5 returns user to Slide 9 for one last try at question, then advances to Slide 10 (works perfectly)

Slide 11 – Content (here’s the first problem; on click, slide 11 jumps to the Knowledge Check Question on Slide 13, skipping slide 12)

Slide 12 – Content

Slide 13 – Knowledge Check Question that remediates back to slide 11 if user misses on 2 attempts to answer; slide 11 should return user here for one last try at question, then advance to Slide 14

Slide14 – Content

Slide 15 – Content (here’s the second problem; on click, slide 15 jumps to the Knowledge Check Question on Slide 19, skipping slides 16, 17, and 18)

Slide 16 – Content

Slide 17 – Content

Slide 18 – Content

TOPICS
Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 05, 2015 May 05, 2015

Erik, Remediation is built in since version 6. The Next button can have a double functionality: when coming from a normal slide it acts as Next, when coming from a question slide it will Return to that question slide with the command mentioned.  It has been a while since I tested this out, but it worked. I'm not sure what is going wrong in your project.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,
May 04, 2015 May 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like the method described in the book is flawed...

I've never tried that, but suspect that since the Next button on Slide 11 has the 'Return to Quiz' action, that's what it's doing...since the quiz has been started (once the user hit slide 9).

So that button needs a bit more sense...

This isn't efficient, but you could try something like...setting a variable to the question #, then on each 'review' slide, a standard Next button will show if the variable is not = to the quiz # it remediates. If the var does = the quiz #, then hide the standard Next button and show one that jumps right to the proper quiz slide.

Something like

varQ initates to 0

slide 5: Show a standard 'continue' Next button by default, hide a button that jumps to slide 9 if varQ = 9. Setup an onEnter script that shows/hides the proper button based on varQ value.

on slide 9: varQ = 9

On slide 10, varQ = 0

On slide 11, setup two buttons and the jump button shows if varQ = 13

On slide 13, set varQ to 13...

Kind of a pain, but make sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2015 May 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is a pain, but will probably work.  Thank you for helping me.

To: Anne Kimmitt <kimmitta@yahoo.com>

Sent: Monday, May 4, 2015 5:46 PM

Subject: Remediate to content slide; return to question; then continue on - using Captivate 8

Remediate to content slide; return to question; then continue on - using Captivate 8

created by Erik Lord in Quizzing/LMS - View the full discussionSounds like the method described in the book is flawed...I've never tried that, but suspect that since the Next button on Slide 11 has the 'Return to Quiz' action, that's what it's doing...since the quiz has been started (once the user hit slide 9).So that button needs a bit more sense... This isn't efficient, but you could try something like...setting a variable to the question #, then on each 'review' slide, a standard Next button will show if the variable is not = to the quiz # it remediates. If the var does = the quiz #, then hide the standard Next button and show one that jumps right to the proper quiz slide.Something likevarQ initates to 0slide 5: Show a standard 'continue' Next button by default, hide a button that jumps to slide 9 if varQ = 9. Setup an onEnter script that shows/hides the proper button based on varQ value.on slide 9: varQ = 9 On slide 10, varQ = 0 On slide 11, setup two buttons and the jump button shows if varQ = 13On slide 13, set varQ to 13... Kind of a pain, but make sense? If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7511835#7511835 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7511835#7511835 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following" Start a new discussion in Quizzing/LMS by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2015 May 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Erik, Remediation is built in since version 6. The Next button can have a double functionality: when coming from a normal slide it acts as Next, when coming from a question slide it will Return to that question slide with the command mentioned.  It has been a while since I tested this out, but it worked. I'm not sure what is going wrong in your project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 03, 2016 Mar 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have anything on your blog on how to set up actions that would allow the user to jump to the slide containing the relevant review information once the select the wrong answer in a quiz question? I have tried a number of options using the advance answer options to jump to the slide containing the information on the correct answer but it does not seem to be performing the action and simply move the user onto the next question slide.

For example my quiz question is on slide 27 and I want the user to be referred back to slide 7 to review the information then come back and answer the question again before proceeding to the next quiz question on slide 28.

I am new to captivate so am still learning my way around it. I suspect there is a way to perform this task using advanced actions but not being completely familiar with all of that yet I am navigating through mounds of information and not finding what I need. If you have any other resources that explain this process or can point me in the direction I should explore please let me know. I appreciate all your assistance. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe I figured out a way to work around my issue. I ended up creating review slides at the end of the presentation and had my review option try and jump to those. The problem I had lay in how I set up the Table of contents. I had disabled the move ahead feature on table of contents so the user was only able to navigate slides they had already seen.  This would then not allow the quiz to pull the slides as they had not been registered as being viewed. I then tried to intersperse them before the slide and use the jump to slide feature. Unfortunately for some reason every time I went back to the quiz it would then replay the review slide. I did check my continue option and changed it to jump to the next question slide but something kept overriding it. I eventually just deleted them all and pointed everything back to the original slides in the main presentation. I made sure all of them had the option return to quiz enabled (which was set up earlier). and amended the slides I had a couple of advanced actions on So I had to add the move to quiz as a conditional action. After some prayer and double checking it all worked. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is an option in Captivate called Return to Quiz that allows you to have content slides related to a specific quiz question.  You have to put a button on those slides with an action set to Return to Quiz.  When the learner first visits these slides clicking the button will only take him or her to the next slide.  However, if the On Last Attempt action of a later Quiz Question is set to jump to that particular slide, then clicking the same button will return the learner to the quiz question and grant them another attempt to try and get it correct.

There is one issue with this.  The learner can get trapped in a loop if they never get the question correct.  But aside from that, it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 04, 2016 Mar 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rod.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2016 Mar 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod,

You've been so helpful before, so I'm hoping you can help again.

I'm using remediation to jump back to content from question slides, and then return to the quiz from the content slide. The return to quiz action works perfectly. The problem is when viewing the content slides the first time, before the learner ever gets to the quiz questions. The Next button on just the remediation slides seems to do nothing. Sometimes I can click the button multiple times and it seems to "kickstart" it again to move on. Do you have any suggestions of what I can look at or do? 

I'm using Captivate 6 -

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2016 Mar 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show us a screenshot of the timeline of this slide, showing this particular button and any other interactive objects that might be on that slide?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2016 Mar 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You bet. Here's a screenshot of the slide with the timeline:

The Advanced Action simply stops the triggered audio and returns to quiz. It behaves the same way (not moving during first view), even if the action is set to just Return to Quiz.

I've also noticed that during the first view, clicking the Continue button will work if I wait the full amount of time of the audio recording. Clicking the Continue button prior to that causes the audio to stop, but has no other impact.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2016 Mar 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is now sounding like it's a bug that occurs when you mix triggered audio actions and return to quiz actions.  I don't think someone at Adobe may have tested this specific use case when they designed and built the Return to Quiz feature.

I suggest you report this as a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2016 Mar 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think I confused the issue when I explained that my advanced action included "Stop Triggered Audio". I was just experimenting with the advanced action to see if it would correct the problem. The audio is attached to the slide and isn't triggered.

I've seen other posts related to this same problem, and none of them have answers. I think I'll simply create a duplicate slide that's not involved in the remediation that I can jump to when the content is first viewed, and use the "return to quiz" slide for remediation only.

Thanks for your help Rod -

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2015 May 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with my project.  If the player detects that a quiz has begun, it sees it as in quiz scope.  Thus, when it encounters the next slide after the quiz slides that has "Return to Quiz" as the Exit Action, it instead goes to the next set of quiz questions and skips a bunch of content slides.

I don't know where I read it, but I thought that if the slide was being visited for the first time, and did not come from a quiz, the "Return to Quiz" would have no effect and it would continue to the next content slide.  Perhaps I am wrong, but I thought that was the correct behavior.

I've attempted to get help from Adobe, but the operator was not very helpful.  He wanted me to upload my file using wetransfer.com but gave me an invalid e-mail address.  Since that was the second attempt to get help, I gave up on Adobe Support.

Although I get the suggest above, it's a pain, especially since I don't have buttons on the content slides.  I have the player just playing with the playbar available for pauses.  So, now I have to create some sort of workaround using variables, but I don't think this is how it's supposed to work.  In fact, I'm not sure what I did yesterday that caused it to work correctly for a while, but I'm pretty sure I didn't change anything related to this.  Of course, then it stopped working.

I find Adobe Captivate to be pretty buggy and it's put me way behind in delivering a product to my client.  I'm very frustrated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2015 May 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried contacting Adobe, too, but with no clear resolution yet.  One suggestion they gave me was to put the slide you are remediating back to right before the question slide.  However, if you can only remediate back to the slide immediately before the question slide, that limits this functionality severely.  My solution has been to remediate to a duplicate, but separate content slide using buttons rather than quiz logic.  Cumbersome, but it works.

To: Anne Kimmitt <kimmitta@yahoo.com>

Sent: Friday, May 15, 2015 1:41 PM

Subject: Remediate to content slide; return to question; then continue on - using Captivate 8

created by camelothome in Quizzing/LMS - View the full discussionI have the same problem with my project.  If the player detects that a quiz has begun, it sees it as in quiz scope.  Thus, when it encounters the next slide after the quiz slides that has "Return to Quiz" as the Exit Action, it instead goes to the next set of quiz questions and skips a bunch of content slides. I don't know where I read it, but I thought that if the slide was being visited for the first time, and did not come from a quiz, the "Return to Quiz" would have no effect and it would continue to the next content slide.  Perhaps I am wrong, but I thought that was the correct behavior. I've attempted to get help from Adobe, but the operator was not very helpful.  He wanted me to upload my file using wetransfer.com but gave me an invalid e-mail address.  Since that was the second attempt to get help, I gave up on Adobe Support.  Although I get the suggest above, it's a pain, especially since I don't have buttons on the content slides.  I have the player just playing with the playbar available for pauses.  So, now I have to create some sort of workaround using variables, but I don't think this is how it's supposed to work.  In fact, I'm not sure what I did yesterday that caused it to work correctly for a while, but I'm pretty sure I didn't change anything related to this.  Of course, then it stopped working. I find Adobe Captivate to be pretty buggy and it's put me way behind in delivering a product to my client.  I'm very frustrated. If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7548938#7548938 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7548938#7548938 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following" Start a new discussion in Quizzing/LMS by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources