7 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2015 1:27 PM by A.T. Romano

Help! Reinstalling PE 12

ghijohansson

Due to problems with my laptop, it has been suggested that I re-install everything.

Will any problems occur if I try to re-install PE 12?

I mean, after I have re-installed Windows.

I have a Fujitsu AH532/G21 laptop. I upgraded Windows from 8 to 8.1 before I installed PE 12. Since multiiple persons have told about problems when doing the same upgrade, I guess this may be my problem.

I have PE 12 on a DVD and I have the serial number. I have a recovery disc for Windows 8.

Yes, I know that I must make sure that I have exactly correct graphics drivers after re-installing. Right now I have 10.18.10.3496 from Intel respectively 9.18.13.3523 from nVidia.

Yes, I know all files will be gone if I re-install Windows but I have in practice only used the laptop for video editing, and it is time to clean up my big project from last year. I have security copies on two external hard drives of everything which needs to be preserved.

Why I suspect there may be problems with Windows installation? After I installed PE 12 almost a year ago, the laptop has been disconnected from the internet, so it can hardly be malware. And the laptop is so new that hardware problems sound improbable.

The symptoms? For months I have had problems burning on disc. And a week ago something really strange happened. No sound any more. I can still open PE 12 projects, but that is about all I can do with the program. Windows media player refuses to play anything. Windows Movie Maker and Apple's media player both plays without sound.

• 1. Re: Help! Reinstalling PE 12
          A.T. Romano Level 7

ghijohansson

Please clarify "Just what are the Premiere Elements problems that are forcing thoughts of uninstall/reinstall of computer operating system and program?

If you are going to go the uninstall reinstall Premiere Elements and/or Windows route, please deactivate Premiere Elements 12 from the opened project's Help Menu/Sign Out, close out of there, and then

uninstall the usual Control Panel way

free ccleaner run through to get rid of leftovers from incomplete uninstalls/reinstalls

CCleaner - Download

reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled (use the installation disc)

Have you gone through the usual troubleshooting drill

a. Does the problem exist with and without the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled? If disabling antivirus Real Time Projection does not help, have you looked at uninstalling the antivirus temporarily?

b. Are you running the program as administrator? Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements?

Let us start here. Any questions or need clarification on any of the above, please do not hesitate to ask. Photoshop Elements 12 and Premiere Elements 12 were particularly difficult program for me to reinstall after an uninstall for troubleshooting purchases unrelated to Premiere Elements. Out of those disasters came the following solutions which may or may not be applicable to your situation.

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2014/04/pe12-premiere-elements-12-editor-will.html

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE12: Sign In Failure (Connect to Internet or Fix Computer Clock)

ATR

• 2. Re: Help! Reinstalling PE 12
            ghijohansson Level 1

What exactly the problems are? I can still open PE 12 projects, but nothing plays anymore. Have been so for a week. And other programs either don't play video at all or play without sound.

If I have tried both with and without antivirus? No, I have not thought about that because the laptop has been unconnected to the internet for almost a year. But alright, I will try to remember doing that tomorrow.

Yesterday evening I finally again connected the laptop to the internet. And I did so again an hour ago. So I now have a newer version of Avast antivirus. No difference.

Yes, I run the laptop as administrator. Or at least I think so since I am able to install programs.

No, I don't know which version I have of quicktime installer. I will try to remember to check that next time I have the laptop turned on.

About the links you enclosed. I hope they will be useful for my friend the computer genius next time he tries to help me.

• 3. Re: Help! Reinstalling PE 12
              A.T. Romano Level 7

ghijohansson

Thanks for the follow up with additional results and comments, especially uninstall/free ccleaner run through/reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

Thanks for looking at some of the suggestions.

Looking forward to results from

a. QuickTime (least version) install

b. Uninstall/free ccleaner run through/reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled

b. You wrote

And other programs either don't play video at all or play without sound.

What are these other programs to which you refer? This would suggest issues with the computer rather than issues with Premiere Elements.

Have you found that uninstall of Premiere Elements allows for those other programs to work again?

Premiere Elements has been known not to work well with a 2 video card/graphics card set up. After you assure that you had the latest version of the drivers, did you try to disable one and just go with one? This idea is difficult to pursue since you say that the system worked well with both before this recent issue.

What about the audio card driver...up to date?

Did you install any 3rd party codecs or plugins recently?

Once you connected to the Internet, did you notice several feature activation notifications going on?

Is the 12.1 Update installed using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates? If not, please do so while you have your Internet connection active.

We will be watching for further developments when you get time.

ATR

• 4. Re: Help! Reinstalling PE 12
                ghijohansson Level 1

I am right now too busy to give a long answer, but in short the situation is like this.

3 hours ago, my laptop refused to start. But the second time I tried to start it, all was as it has been during the last week. So I went to Windows update. Now the sound is back, even though the computer tells me that the Windows update failed.

During the next few days I hope that I can continue with my problem. But at least everything works as it did until a week ago. So there is no panic.

When I have finished I will do my best to answer.

• 5. Re: Help! Reinstalling PE 12
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

ghijohansson

Thanks for the update. Great news that "...everything works as it did until a week ago...." ...great job in recovery.

We will look forward learning of any further developments as your schedule permits.

But, major consideration is that you are moving forward with your Premiere Elements projects. Always great news.

Best wishes

ATR

• 6. Re: Help! Reinstalling PE 12
                    ghijohansson Level 1

Oh dear, I more or less forgot to write this answer.

I think everything now works as it should do. I have had no problems during the last few weeks.

After updating Windows 8.1, my problems disappeared. So I never needed to reinstall PE 12. It appears that the problem was that I had not updated Windows 8.1 for almost a year. I had not updated because the computer had not been connected to the internet. Disconnected so I am not disturbed when I edit.

In case somebody else has the same problem. The first evening I updated Windows, it took 3 hours. The next evening, it took 2 hours. Because I had to make two updates. And there is now about 10 gigabytes less free space on partition C:. So in the future I will have to put the media cache files on partition D:.

A. T. Romano, I hope this answers your questions. Since updating Windows 8.1 was all I needed to do, I never did anything else.

And many thanks for suggesting CCleaner. Because after installing CCleaner, I told the program that I don't want ElementsAutoAnalyzer to start automatically when I turn on my computer. Great that CCleaner solved this, because it is a problem to get rid of this nuisance.

CCleaner was also useful on my old computer, but it would be irrelevant to tell the details because I don't use that computer for video editing any more since it is too old for that.

• 7. Re: Help! Reinstalling PE 12
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

ghijohansson

Many thanks for the update and comments. We are very pleased to learn of your progress. Great job in sorting through the variables to gain your success.

Best wishes

ATR