12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2015 7:38 PM by A.T. Romano

Program crashes when adding menus

helenn38195080

Whenever I try to download and add menus to my project, the program crashes. This is on a Mac running OS 10.10.2. I cannot figure out why. All else seems to be working well, although there have been occasional crashes.

• 1. Re: Program crashes when adding menus
          A.T. Romano Level 7

helenn

What version of Premiere Elements Mac?

When does the problem occur

a. when you right click the theme thumbnail in Tools Menu/Movie Menu display and select Download Now to do that for a single theme or when you select Download All to download all in one operation?

b. after you hit Continue in the Movie Menu display area to gain access to the Movie Menu customization area?

Is one particular theme involved?

Please delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file

Users/Owner/Libraries/Application Support/Adobe/Premere Elements/# of your version/

Please determine that your program's files contains the Online Folder with complete sets of theme menu files and folders

Please explore the following path to find the Online Folder

MAC HD/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Premiere Elements/# of your version/Online/DVD Templates/All_Lang/

We will be watching for your progress.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Program crashes when adding menus
            helenn38195080 Level 1

I appreciate the quick response. Thank you.

It is Premier Elements 13 for Mac.

It happens immediately after a single theme (any theme; I have tried with several different ones) has finished downloading, and I have tried downloading all of the themes with the same result. Upon completion of the download the program unexpectedly quits.

I have located the Prefs file and removed it, restarted the program, and have had no change in the performance when trying to make movie menus.

As for the second file, the Online folder, I have located a folder named OLS (online services?), but it is empty. Even after downloading the 2.4 GB of menus, it remains empty, and I cannot locate them anywhere else.

Thank you.

• 3. Re: Program crashes when adding menus
              A.T. Romano Level 7

helenn

Thanks for the follow up.

bha51 is also have problems with Premiere Elements Mac and DVD themes.

Premiere Elements 13 problem with DVD menu templates

Please check out post 11 in the above link to view bha51's description of how the Online Folder and eventually the DVD theme folders

were found to confirm that content download had actually completed the incomplete theme files and folders that were placed on the hard drive during program installation.

Are you running the program as administrator? Does your Mac computer have any security features and/or software?

ATR

• 4. Re: Program crashes when adding menus
                Rafael Yuste

Same problem here... under Windows 7 64.... Content is downloaded and after that Elements hangs. I must use CTRL-ALT-DEL to launch TaskManager and shutdown Elements, TaskManager say that Elements 12 is not responding.

• 5. Re: Program crashes when adding menus
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

rafael yuste

What are the details of your situation? Several reports of Movie Menu content download issues lately....wondering if Adobe is having a server issue. We need to coordinate these report details to determine if we can point to the Adobe server or an issue specific to the user's computer environment.

How much of the Movie Menu theme content have you downloaded from the Tools Menu/Movie Menu display area using Download Now or Download All? Is the problem restricted to Movie Menu or does it involved all content download, such as Instant Movie, etc?

We will be watching for further details. Please make sure you have gone through all the "drill" suggestions. Please see thread comments.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Program crashes when adding menus
                    Rafael Yuste Level 1

Hello,

I have partially found a solution... return to version 11 and all run fine. This solve a question, i don'it think that Adobe is having server issue...

I have a pair of answers to give about download. I have tried to download separately all the menu Themes but problem remains. I haven't tried Instant Movie but for some audio Fx no problems for download and immediate use.

best regards

Rafael

• 7. Re: Program crashes when adding menus
                      helenn38195080 Level 1

Hi there.

Thank you for sending the link to the conversation with bha51. I have located the Online folder in the main Library now. So the path for the prefs file is as you had specified originally, but the path to the Online folder is as follows: Mac HD/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Premier Elements/13.0/Online

Everything I have downloaded is there. This Library is not hidden, but the one in the User’s folder is.

In answer to your questions on security: the system firewall and antivirus software are running. I have never had any problem with them installing any other application. And I am running the program as system administrator.

In regards to the download issue: I have not downloaded the Instant Movie, but I have all the movie menus and just before, I tried the animated graphics and there was no problem. The download was normal and the program did not crash on completion. However, when I tried using the movie menu again, once more it crashed. Thus far the problem seems restricted to the Movie Menu for me. I did not have any problems while working on my project or rendering it afterward. It would be nice if I could get it to DVD through the program though.

Thank you.

• 8. Re: Program crashes when adding menus
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

helenn

Thanks for the very comprehensive report on your results. Appreciated.

It is important to know that the Movie Menu theme files are intact in the Online Folder route.

Although you have not had any antivirus and firewall(s) - program conflicts, would it be possible to disable temporarily the antivirus and firewall(s) long enough to determine if we can rule that factor in or out with regard to the crashes that are related to the Movie Menu feature.

When your Timeline is destined for DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, do you

a. open Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc first and then go to Movie Menu

or

b. do you go to Tools Menu/Movie Menu, complete that process through the Done stage, and then open Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc?

ATR

• 9. Re: Program crashes when adding menus
                          helenn38195080 Level 1

Hello again,

I did as you suggested and disabled both security features, launched Premier Elements, tried the Movie Menu with the same result: right after choosing the menu I wanted, before the program moved to the menu editing window (I presume), it crashed.

As to how I get to the Movie Menu, I have tried three ways: from the Tools in the menus at the top of the screen, from the Publish & Share area and from the Tools section at the bottom of the screen. I have never arrived at the Done stage because the crash always happens at the the Continue phase. I choose my movie menu and options for scenes, click continue, upon which there is a pause as the wheel turns and then the program quits, after which there are these windows asking if I want to make a report to Apple and then to Adobe. I said yes to the Adobe one once and was told that Adobe had no known fix for the problem or words to that effect.

Once again, thanks very much for your interest and help.

• 10. Re: Program crashes when adding menus
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

helenn

Thanks for the excellent troubleshooting details.

All but one of the Movie Menu themes requires this content download in order to complete Movie Menu files that routinely come incomplete with the program during the program's installation. That theme is Slideshow/Pan and Zoom.

In an attempt to try to implicate content download themes specifically in your issue, if you have not already, please start a new project and set up Tools Menu/Movie Menu/ and select Slideshow/Pan and Zoom immediately before you click on Continue. Do you still get the program crash when/after you click on Continue?

Depending on that results, we may want to look into:

a. uninstall/free ccleaner for Mac/reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled/download and install of 13.1 once 13 is successfully installed.

b. creating a new user account with administrative privileges and installing and trying to run Premiere Elements in it.

Please review and let us know if any of that works for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: Program crashes when adding menus
                              helenn38195080 Level 1

Hi.

I started a new project and and tried the Slideshow/Pan and Zoom as you suggested with the same result: upon clicking on the Continue button, the program crashes.

I have downloaded this ccleaner for Mac (a program I am not familiar with) but have yet to set it up nor am I sure exactly what procedure for follow now. I am also a little concerned about a program finding files that I should delete. I do not want to delete something vital. Anyway, how exactly should I continue from this point?

Thanks.

• 12. Re: Program crashes when adding menus
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

helenn

Thanks for the reply.

Since the issue impacts Pan and Zoom as well as those themes which require content download, I am assuming that your issue is related to the install and the computer.

Please double check to assure that you have gone through the deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file (the settings file for the Premiere Elements Editor).

The ccleaner Mac should do not damage to your computer but should get rid of leftovers from incomplete uninstalls and reinstalls.

It should not affect saved existing Premiere Elements projects. All that being said, backup anything that is important. I have used the software for Windows for several years for computer maintenance (regular and registry) and have not had any horror stories to report related to its use. Please check out the description of the ccleaner Mac in making your decision to use it or not.

Piriform - Using CCleaner for Mac

Several of these Movie Menu issues currently being reported. I am hoping that a breakthrough in one will apply to all.

ATR