6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2015 8:53 PM by cmscss

Confused about how to install Lightroom 5

cmscss Level 1

Hi There,

I have all my serials in 1Password and generally keep very good software records but while I have serials for Lightroom versions 1-4, I can't see anything for v5.

Is it possible that Lightroom 5 was an in-app upgrade or special upgrade that used the v4 serial number? I've found a lot of conflicting forum and blog posts so am not sure.

But even if I had the v5 serial, the serial number box doesn't appear as an option after installation (see attached) - the only option is to buy a new license?

Sorry for the dumb question - just not sure what's going on.

Cheers

Ben

lightroom5.png

• 1. Re: Confused about how to install Lightroom 5
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Lightroom 5 requires its own serial number, separate from other versions. If you purchased Lightroom 5 as an upgrade then you will need both your original Lightroom serial number as well as the serial number for Lightroom 5. In the box that you provided a screen Capture, you have checked the right box indicating that you have a serial number. Near the bottom of that box is prompting you for the country or region, and is says that it is required. Once you have indicated the country or region then you should be able to click on the next button where you will be able to enter your serial number.

• 2. Re: Confused about how to install Lightroom 5
            cmscss Level 1

Thanks for that, because of the gap above the but button it looked like there should be a box there!

Makes no difference though as I can't find a serial number.

Cheers

Ben

• 3. Re: Confused about how to install Lightroom 5
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Where did you have LR5 installed, before, as this looks like a brand-new install?

Your serial number is on adobe.com under Manage Account if you ever registered LR5 with Adobe.

Your serial number would also be on your old computer where you previous installed LR5 unless you've lost or erased that hard-drive.

• 4. Re: Confused about how to install Lightroom 5
                cmscss Level 1

Thanks for the reply,

I'm now a Creative Cloud user but have always had a separate licence for Lightroom - in fact, I've never been able update Lightroom via the CC interface and have always had to manage it manually because it was never installed via CC. If I go to apps from the CC menu, Lightroom is available to install so I assume CC knows it's licensed separately?

Screen Shot 2015-04-08 at 3.26.00 pm.png

Now I'm trying to install it on another Mac without CC (and will use CC on the current Mac) so am looking for the serial - I've tried:

• Logging in to my personal store account (clicked 'view all products')
                • Logging in my CC account (clicked 'view all products')
                • Logging in to the company volume licensing account
                • Searching for a .lrreg file
                • Manually checking ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom/Lightroom 5.0 Registration
                • But I don't see anything

Even though Lightroom is not installed via CC, when I try to view license info under the help menu, it just states that I'm signed in and displays my CC login. If I sign out of CC, I still can't find license info so I don't know if CC has somehow removed the license info?

Anyway, I normally keep very good records but we've noticed that after a move to a new email server, we're missing email - not sure what to do from here sorry.

Cheers

• 5. Re: Confused about how to install Lightroom 5
                  JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I didn't realize you had a creative cloud account. You cannot activate Lightroom from the creative cloud installation with a serial number. If you want to install Lightroom from the creative cloud application manager you will need to uninstall the standalone version. Then you will probably have to quit the application manager and sign back in again. Then Lightroom can be installed from the application manager. The creative cloud installation does not rely on a serial number. Everything is controlled with your Adobe ID and password. And there is a periodic check to verify that your account is paid current.

• 6. Re: Confused about how to install Lightroom 5
                    cmscss Level 1

Thanks Jim,

This new install is on a machine that doesn't have CC installed.

I'm also not trying to activate Lightroom from the creative cloud installation with a serial number - I posted that screen shot to show that Lightroom on my main mac was never installed, nor is it being managed by CC - so was asking how come I can't find a serial number in Lightroom?

Hope that makes sense.