10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2011 11:26 PM by rombooth1

Starting Flex Builder 2

france2003
      Has anyone encountered Flex Builder 2 hanging while starting up? I restart my system each night before I go home and there are many days in which I start Flex Builder 2 the next morning and I get the "Progress Information" dialog box in which it says "Loading Project..." and "Analyzing Project..." but it just sits there with a few bars on the progress bar [and new bars never appear].

So far this morning, it's been in that state for over 5 minutes [and is still like that now as I write this]. Task Manager doesn't list it as a running application, so I can not end it. I have tried stopping the javaw.exe process and trying to open the app again, and that doesn't work. The only thing that works is to reboot my system again. Most of the time that fixes it.

Also, I have noted that when this happens, I also have MS Outlook open and as I shut down my programs to reboot, there is the "Do you want to Archive old items?" dialog box open in Outlook. An odd coincidence???

Anyone else encounter this or know of a fix?
        • 1. Re: Starting Flex Builder 2
          peterent Level 2
          I haven't heard of this happening until now, so I'm not quite sure what is going on. How much memory does your system have? Flex Builder 2 is based on Eclipse and, well, it uses a lot of memory. When I run it on a 512MB system it takes a while to come up, and if the system is left idle, takes a while to wake up. When I run it on a 1GB system it responds pretty quickly.
          • 2. Re: Starting Flex Builder 2
            france2003 Level 1
            Thanks for the quick reply, Peter. My machine has 1 GB of RAM.
            • 3. Re: Starting Flex Builder 2
              peterent Level 2
              Did you install FB onto a networked/mapped drive? If so, this may be a latency issue with the network.

I also should have asked if this is Windows or Mac?

If Windows, if you open Task Manager before you launch FB, check to see if there are any other processes running that are using up CPU or network bandwidth. Then launch FB and see how it behaves and how much memory it consumes.

I would also try uninstalling it, rebooting, and installing it again.
              • 4. Re: Starting Flex Builder 2
                mike_morearty Level 1
                I have never seen this happen, but I can tell you a couple of things that might help. For one thing, the slash screen of Flex Builder is actually a separate process from the main app (this is a carryover from the way Eclipse does things). The main app shows up in the process list as javaw.exe, as you know; but the splash screen is either flexbuilder.exe for the standalone version of Flex Builder, or eclipse.exe for the plugin version.

That is why from time to time during development, if I use task manager to kill javaw.exe during app startup, the splash screen remains onscreen. The splash screen is waiting for the main app to tell it to go away; but if the main app has died, the splash screen has a very long timeout before it goes away on its own -- seems like it waits at least five minutes (I haven't timed it).

So the point is, if javaw.exe has already vanished, then it is safe to use task manager to kill flexbuilder.exe to make that extra splash screen go away; it is waiting for a notification that it is never going to receive, so you might as well kill it.

As for why the hang/crash is happening in the first place: That is a harder question. Like I said, I have never seen this problem. It would be helpful if you could check your log file to see if there are any recent error messages in there. From standalone Flex Builder, you can see the log by doing Help > Product Details, then click Configuration Details, then View Error Log.

The error log is a text file, named ".log"; full path is <your_workspace_root>\.metadata\.log.

Newest errors are appended to the end of the log. So scroll to the end, and then back up from there, looking for lines like this:

!ENTRY ... <date> <time>

e.g.

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 2006-12-12 19:10:24.222

If there are any recent entries whose time seems to correspond to one of the crashes, then can you please paste the rest of the message -- all the way down to the next !ENTRY, or to the end of the log if you are on the last !ENTRY -- here?

Thanks! - Mike
                • 5. Re: Starting Flex Builder 2
                  france2003 Level 1
                  Hi Peter,

I have Flex Builder installed on my local machine. I am running Windows XP Pro SP2.

I am also receiving a bunch of "removing compiler problem markers" errors, so I did uninstall and reinstall FB2 about a week ago or so thinking that may relieve one or both issues [but still getting both]. I also found yesterday the FB 2.0.1 updater and installed it. I heard that would help with the second issue, but so far it has not.
                  • 6. Re: Starting Flex Builder 2
                    france2003 Level 1
                    Hi Mark,

Thanks for the information! Here is a snippet from my log file. The first entry in the log for yesterday indicates "the previous session did not exit normally". I always exit the program using File > Exit at the end of the day, so I am thinking this entry was entered after I had the hanging issue and tried to kill the javaw.exe via the Task Manager and tried to restart it again - ?

I included some additional info in case you can shed any light on the "removing compiler problem markers" problem as well.

!SESSION 2007-01-17 07:20:41.387 -----------------------------------------------
                    eclipse.buildId=unknown
                    java.version=1.4.2_09
                    java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
                    BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=en_US
                    Command-line arguments: -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.resources 2 10035 2007-01-17 07:20:42.716
                    !MESSAGE A workspace crash was detected. The previous session did not exit normally.

!ENTRY com.adobe.flexbuilder.project 4 43 2007-01-17 07:20:46.622
                    !MESSAGE ProblemType attribute was not a string for marker 392

!ENTRY com.adobe.flexbuilder.project 4 43 2007-01-17 07:20:46.637

!ENTRY com.adobe.flexbuilder.project 4 43 2007-01-17 07:20:46.637
                    !MESSAGE ProblemType attribute was not a string for marker 393

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.runtime 4 2 2007-01-17 07:20:46.653
                    !MESSAGE An internal error occurred during: "Removing compiler problem markers".
                    !STACK 0
                    java.lang.NullPointerException
                    at com.adobe.flexbuilder.project.compiler.internal.ProblemManager$2.runInWorkspace(Unknown Source)
                    at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.InternalWorkspaceJob.run(InternalWorkspaceJob.java:38 )
                    at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:76)

!ENTRY com.adobe.flexbuilder.project 4 43 2007-01-17 07:20:46.653
                    !SESSION 2007-01-17 07:45:59.117 -----------------------------------------------
                    eclipse.buildId=unknown
                    java.version=1.4.2_09
                    java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
                    BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=en_US
                    Command-line arguments: -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.resources 2 10035 2007-01-17 07:46:00.385
                    !MESSAGE A workspace crash was detected. The previous session did not exit normally.

!ENTRY com.adobe.flexbuilder.project 4 43 2007-01-17 07:46:04.301

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.runtime 4 2 2007-01-17 07:46:04.317
                    !MESSAGE An internal error occurred during: "Removing compiler problem markers".
                    !STACK 0
                    at com.adobe.flexbuilder.project.compiler.internal.ProblemManager$2.runInWorkspace(Unknown Source)
                    at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.InternalWorkspaceJob.run(InternalWorkspaceJob.java:38 )

!ENTRY com.adobe.flexbuilder.project 4 43 2007-01-17 07:46:04.317

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.runtime 4 2 2007-01-17 08:58:53.221
                    !STACK 0

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.runtime 4 2 2007-01-17 09:02:49.749
                    !STACK 0

• 7. Re: Starting Flex Builder 2
                      mike_morearty Level 1
                      Hmm, very strange, I don't know what is going on here. If it isn't too hard, I would suggest deleting your workspace and starting over.

Note, when I say "deleting your workspace," I don't mean deleting your source code or your projects. Just the ".metadata" directory inside the workspace. That directory contains all the internal settings of Flex Builder.

After you do that, you will lose any customization you have done, such as Flex Builder preferences you have changed. Also, the workspace will come up with an empty list of projects; you'll have to use File>Import to load the projects back into the workspace.
                      • 8. Re: Starting Flex Builder 2
                        france2003 Level 1
                        Thank you both Mike and Peter for all of your help! I did delete my workspace last Friday and so far, Flex has been running a lot smoother. I am also opening up Flex before MS Outlook each day, too, just in case there was any relation there. So far, I have not had any additional issues.

Thank you!
                        • 9. Re: Starting Flex Builder 2
                          Grayson Lang Level 1
                          ALTERNATE SOLUTION

I just ran into the same issue when my system crashed while Flex Builder was open.

When I attempted to reopen Flex, it just hung on "Analyzing project...".

After some investigating I found that Flex Builder/Eclipse keeps a copy of changes in the directory:
                          .metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.core.resources/.history/

Because the application notices that the last session ended unexpectedly, it is attempting to reconstitute the project from the history files, but there may be some corrupt data in there that is preventing the process.

If you only move/rename/delete the .history folder, then Flex Builder will load, and you will retain your workspace settings.

Grayson
                          • 10. Re: Starting Flex Builder 2
                            rombooth1 Level 1

For anyone that reads this post and has this issue with flex builder 4: Go to this path:

C:\...\yourProject\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.core.resources

and delete the snap file. After doing so your FB4 works again here.