5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2015 4:45 PM by Paul Chadha

PDF to ID?

patrickh87949203

I would like to open a PDF document into ID and work/edit and then save it as an ID file? Can i convert PDF to ID?

• 1. Re: PDF to ID?
          vladan saveljic Level 4

You can't convert PDF to ID but you can try other solutions.

For example you can open pdf file with illustrator and edit it.

If pdf file contain lot of text you can convert pdf in word rtf and than import that text in indesign.

Howewer your choice depend on caracteristics of your pdf file (how many pages contain, if contain only text, only photo, only vector, all theese objects, if you have fonts used in pdf etc)

• 2. Re: PDF to ID?
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

There are at least two commercial plugins for ID that will open PDF files directly in ID: PDF2ID from Recosoft and PDF2DTP from Markzware...

• 3. Re: PDF to ID?
              Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

On behalf of Adobe Systems Incorporated:

Note that Adobe Illustrator is not, repeat is not, repeat yet again is not a general purpose PDF file editor! The only PDF files that can be guaranteed to be successfully edited in Illustrator are PDF files created by Adobe Illustrator using the Save as PDF option and specifying the option to enable editability.

Otherwise, you risk loss of graphic elements, color conversions, font conversion, conversion of text to outlines, etc. Illustrator does not support the full PDF imaging model.

A better solution to the OP's problem is to save the PDF to Word in Acrobat and open same in Illustrator, assuming that they are not willing to buy the third party products mentioned by Peter Spier. And even those products won't do a perfect job; expect to do editing afterwards to fix issues.

- Dov

• 4. Re: PDF to ID?
                vladan saveljic Level 4

That's correct. but it is a generic information.

In the daily work we need to find the best method to solve a problem (quickly, cheap and good).
                For example, when an author asks us to place a figure, a logo, an object, a photo in his article from a pdf that sends to us, what we do in that case?
                If it is a vector object we open the pdf with illustrator, we extract the object and change what needs to be changed (colors, text, strokes etc.) although we know that  illustrator is not a general purpose PDF file editor.
                If it is an image then the pdf opens with photoshop and change it. etc.
                Indeed I asked Patrickh87949203 "Howewer your choice depend on caracteristics of your pdf file (how many pages contain, if contain only text, only photo, only vector, all theese objects, if you have fonts used in pdf etc)"

Patrick should tell us what kind of editing must be done to give him a useful answer and not generic

• 5. Re: PDF to ID?
                  Paul Chadha Level 1

Hello -

I represent Recosoft the makers of PDF2ID. To convert a PDF to an editable InDesign format, you will need a tool likePDF2ID. Visit http://www.recosoft.com/products/pdf2id for more information. InDesign can't convert PDFs natively.

I've posted a youtube video link here showing how PDF2ID converts PDFs to an editable InDesign format