2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2015 9:08 AM by A.T. Romano

After completing my video I am now getting a screen that says "Media off-line"> how do I retrieve my work/media?

jeffreyy75082153

I had video on my desktop that I loaded to Premier Elements, when I completed editing I put the desktop videos in a folder and I'm now getting "Media off-line"

• 1. Re: After completing my video I am now getting a screen that says "Media off-line"> how do I retrieve my work/media?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Where are the media files that you used in your project? Apparently the device you have those media files on (a camcorder, an external hard drive) has been disconnected from your computer.

Importing media into your project doesn't move your video or photos from a device to your hard drive. It only adds a link to it. You must either copy the media to your computer before your import it into your project or leave the device connected as we edit or this link will be broken when you disconnect the camcorder or hard drive.

The program includes a number of tools that both copy the media from your camcorder, phone, etc, and add it to your project in one move. I show you how to use them, step by step, in my book on Amazon if you're interested.

• 2. Re: After completing my video I am now getting a screen that says "Media off-line"> how do I retrieve my work/media?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

jeffreyy

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system.

You wrote

I had video on my desktop that I loaded to Premier Elements, when I completed editing I put the desktop videos in a folder and I'm now getting "Media off-line"

Based on that, the text that I have put in bold text should be the sole reason why you got the media offline message.

You cannot move, delete, or rename files/folders that went into a project after the project is saved closed. When you import

media into a project, all you get are copies of the originals which are saved to a hard drive location. But, the copies in the project

need to trace back to the originals at the hard drive save location where they were when they were imported into the project.

But, the other consideration is....given the source is saved to the desktop before, where was it afterward...?

a. as a file still on the desktop (same before and after)

b. as a file now moved into a folder on the desktop

c. other

Do you know where the missing media are at the present time? If so, open the project, and then reconnect the missing media to the project, one by one with the "Where is the file....?" messages....pointing the dialog to the location where you know a file is. If you get lucky, sometimes more than one file will reconnect at one time.

If you have significant edits involved with this missing media issue, you could look instead at the Replace Footage feature for the reconnects.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Replace Footage

But, first try the "Where is the file....?"  message route.

We will be watching for your progress as your schedule permits.

Thanks.

ATR