9 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2015 6:39 AM by trshaner

Tethering still a problem with LR 5.7

WernerJB

Tried yesterday to do a studio shoot using tethering with my D800 to my win 8.1 machine running LR 5.7. While it worked fine for the first 100 shots it suddenly stooped transferring files and after checking on the computer LR could not find the camera. I know this problem has been going on since version 3 I think but I was amassed it has not been fixed.

I changed the cable, changed the camera, restarted LR, restarted my computer - still the same problem.

Since the windows machine could see the camera I do not thing this is a cable issue. I searched today for a solution and it seems there are many people having the same problem.

One would think that Adobe would put more emphasis on this issue - especially since it has been going on for years - and not just ignore it.

It was embarrassing to have this issue in front of my customer and surly there must be another solution to this long standing problem.

• 1. Re: Tethering still a problem with LR 5.7
          trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Please make sure you have the latest Nikon D800 firmware update installed on your camera. If your Windows 8.1 system has USB 2.0 ports try using them.

Connect the D800 to your system, go into Device Manager, and check to see if there's a yellow exclamation mark next to it in the device list. If so try this fix:

http://www.denyerec.co.uk/windows-8-1-and-nikon-d800-tethering-problem

If not try this Adobe fix:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/your-camera-disconnects-tethering.html

• 2. Re: Tethering still a problem with LR 5.7
            WernerJB Level 1

The connection to the Device Manager is fine.

The Adobe fix you suggested seems to be only for Apple boxes.

Thanks anyway for trying.

Still cannot connect my D800.

• 3. Re: Tethering still a problem with LR 5.7

WernerJB wrote:

The Adobe fix you suggested seems to be only for Apple boxes.

This Adobe's fix is for both Mac and Windows platforms. It adds a USB keep-awake routine (heartbeat) to prevent losing the connection between LR and your camera's USB port.

Download and install the attached file. 

1. Download the attached config.lua.zip file. This file works on both platforms.
              2. Double-click the file to decompress it. The resulting file is named config.lua.
              3. Open Lightroom.
              4. Choose Lightroom > Preferences > Presets (Mac OS) or Edit > Preferences > Presets  (Windows).
              5. Select Show Lightroom Presets Folder, and open the selected Lightroom folder.
              6. Copy the config.lua file into the Lightroom folder.
              7. Quit Lightroom, then restart Lightroom.

You also say, "While it worked fine for the first 100 shots it suddenly stooped transferring files and after checking on the computer LR could not find the camera."  My first question would be did your system go into sleep mode and you resumed it to shoot some more pictures? Try setting Windows 8.1 Power Options to 'Never' turn off the display or computer and see if that helps.

• 4. Re: Tethering still a problem with LR 5.7
                WernerJB Level 1

Installed the config.lua file. Turn off monitor was always set to never - computer only goes to sleep after 4 hours.

Checking the system info after restarting Lightroom everything looks fine - I can see that everything loaded connected to config.lua.

Still Lightroom is not connecting to the camera at the moment.

I did a shoot this morning for about 30 minutes and everything worked perfectly. Coming back in the afternoon - camera cannot connect.

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Tethering still a problem with LR 5.7

WernerJB wrote:

Installed the config.lua file. Turn off monitor was always set to never - computer only goes to sleep after 4 hours.

Make sure to close LR and turn off the camera after the tethering session. If either the camera or LR goes into sleep mode with it connected you may not be able to reconnect. You may then have to disconnect the camera, restart the system, and reconnect the camera for it to be detected.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/troubleshoot-tethered-capture-lightroom-4.html

4. Turn off the camera and the computer. 

If turning the camera off and on doesn't work, trying completely disconnecting the camera from the computer. Then, turn the computer off and on, and try tethered capture again:

1. Turn off the camera.
                  2. Disconnect the camera from the computer.
                  3. Quit Lightroom and restart the computer.
                  4. Open Lightroom.
                  5. Reconnect the camera.
                  6. Turn on the camera and try tethered shooting.

5. Try putting an empty memory card in the camera, especially if you're using a Nikon camera. 

• 6. Re: Tethering still a problem with LR 5.7
                    WernerJB Level 1

Thanks for the suggestions - tried that too and sometimes it works but most of the time not. There is another thing going on which might give us a clue what is going on.

After restarting the computer and turning on the camera and checking if Lightroom could connect to the camera (it did not) I left for lunch and after coming back it was magically connected and working fine for the rest of the shoot.

But still have the problem of intermittently loosing contact - I probably need to go to lunch more often!

• 7. Re: Tethering still a problem with LR 5.7

Well who knows what happens when one is out to lunch (pun): Camera turns off, System goes into sleep mode......

It sounds like  power sequencing on the camera, system or both allowed the camera to be recognized inside LR.

• 8. Re: Tethering still a problem with LR 5.7
                        buddylicious

I actually fought with LR5.7 tethering my Nikon D7000, on a Win 8.1 computer, for the better part of the day. I had issues with LR not detecting my camera at all, and when the camera was turned off it won't see it again when the camera is turned back on. It was frustrating. I finally settled on a reliable solution, as follows:

1. Ensure Stisvc/Windows Image Acquisition (Task Manager/Services) is STOPPED

2. Ensure camera is connected to computer and OFF

3. Ensure occupied camera memory card is OUT; remaining card must be EMPTY and FORMATTED

4. Ensure Lightroom is OFF

5. Start Lightroom

6. Start Lightroom camera tethering (File->Tethered Capture->Start)

7. Verify Stisvc/Windows Image Acquisition (Task Manager/Services) is RUNNING

8. Turn camera to ON

9. Verify camera is detected by Lightroom

It's not clean, especially if you have to go into task manager. But it works, everytime, reliably. Give this a try and see how it works for you.

HTH.

• 9. Re: Tethering still a problem with LR 5.7

I'll add three more steps that should added to the above list before connecting the camera:

1) Set the system Power Management to 'Never' enter Sleep Mode.

2) Set the camera menu 'Auto Power-Off' setting to OFF, so the camera never turns off.

3) Use a fully charged battery or AC Power Adapter.