• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New Flare 11 frameless top navigation - coming to RH soon?

Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2015 Apr 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flare's new version has "new Top Navigation HTML5 output allows you to break free from the limitations of the traditional tripane format with a sleek new responsive search engine-optimized output for online Help, knowledge bases and more."

Does anyone know if Robohelp can or will do the same?

One of my clients sent us a link to a site as an example of where he'd like the design of the help (currently done in RH10) to eventually end up. That site was created with Confluence (I contacted them to find out), but it looks like the new Flare feature would accomplish the same or similar design output.

I'm the lone RH advocate here, the other two writers prefer Flare. Between the design requirements and the dropdown/conditional text bug (conditional expression playing havoc on dropdowns), I'm facing a battle to keep the project in Robohelp.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 08, 2015 Apr 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, RoboHelp 11 offers a frameless Responsive HTML5 output feature that would be a similar equivalent to what the Flare folks have.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 09, 2015 Apr 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or the Multiscreen HTML5 which is even more frameless (but harder to set up). The Responsive output uses an iFrame, just like Flare. The Multiscreen doesn't use that.

I sometimes switch between the two outputs because some customers don't want iFrames at all and then you're out of luck with some HAT's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Willam, out of curiosity, do you know why these customers are opposed to iframes?

Is it possibly the case they are thinking these are bad because "HTML5 doesn't support frames" and they now believe iframes are part of that?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There may be some issues with accessiblity. Iframes work fine most of the time, but they are a pain to get working correctly on iOS. But I believe accessibility devices are the most important reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick and Willam. My cursory googling of the HTML5 outputs showed tri-pane-ish samples, so I thought that was still a limitation and didn't explore further.

Two of our biggest projects now are in RH, so as long as the conditional text bug gets resolved, I may be able to make the argument to stay in RH.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 11, 2016 May 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Late to the party on this one but Captiv8r what must I do in RoboHelp 2015 in order to achieve frameless output?  I'm using Responsive HTML5 right now in some test projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp