19 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2015 1:50 PM by Jao vdL

All of a Sudden, lots of corrupted files

KBJR5150

I've never had this issue with lightroom 5.  All of a sudden, I'm getting corrupted files, some of them disappear , and some seem to be corrupted AFTER I've already processed it.  Very odd.  I use a Nikon D7100 with Delkin Devices 64gb SD 633x.  I just got these new Delkin Cards, which up until now, were smokin'!  Now I don't know if its the card or lightroom.  The cards were formatted like usual before I used them.  Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

Ken

• 1. Re: All of a Sudden, lots of corrupted files
          trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you using the LR Import module or Nikon software to initially download the files onto your hard drive?

• 2. Re: All of a Sudden, lots of corrupted files
            dj_paige Level 9

It's not Lightroom. Lightroom never writes to the image portion of your files, so there's no way that Lightroom can cause this.

Corrupted files are almost always hardware issues, which could be anywhere including card, card reader or USB cable/USB port, hard disk or even memory. If you can isolate each component and see if the corruption goes away, then you have found the problem.

• 3. Re: All of a Sudden, lots of corrupted files
              KBJR5150 Level 1

I was using the lightroom import module.  I talked to Delkin and they recommended not using the macbook reader, and buy a real reader.  So I ordered one, should be here tomorrow, so we'll see.  I'll let you all know.  Thanks for the replies!

Ken

• 4. Re: All of a Sudden, lots of corrupted files
                ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

kbjr5150 wrote:

I've never had this issue with lightroom 5.  All of a sudden, I'm getting corrupted files, some of them disappear , and some seem to be corrupted AFTER I've already processed it.

If the files are getting corrupted after you process them, this suggests a problem with the computer memory chips or the computer hard drive.

• 5. Re: All of a Sudden, lots of corrupted files
                  Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Lets see what you are getting, can you post a screen shot.

It is a little confusing as you are saying they are corrupting after processing but you want to get a new card reader.

We need to establish if they are corrupted during download from the card ( reader, etc issue) or if after processing in Lightroom a hardware issue.

Perhaps you could Dropbox a "corrupted" file (copy of the original file, not a Lightroom export) also for us to have a look at.

• 6. Re: All of a Sudden, lots of corrupted files
                    KBJR5150 Level 1

Geoff, thank you for the reply.  I can dropbox you a file no problem.  Just let me know what email you would like me to send it to.  It looks like a regular photo with color striping on either the top or bottom of the photo. 

• 7. Re: All of a Sudden, lots of corrupted files
                      KBJR5150 Level 1

I did just have 2 ssd's installed recently as well as 8gb of RAM installed.  Could that have something to do with it?

• 8. Re: All of a Sudden, lots of corrupted files

Just post the link to the Dropbox here.

Yes the hardware is a likely cause, especially the RAM.... who did the upgrade??

Can you try downloading to another computer to see if you get any corruption then?? I doubt it but it will ensure it is your Macbook... Also try downloading via Image Capture and copy and paste.... I think you will find the same result after import to Lightroom.

Most of the time you are seeing the embedded jpeg preview which is why they may look ok at first but when Lightroom renders them for its previews that is when corruption shows up usually. Keep in mind Lightroom only reads the files....

• 9. Re: All of a Sudden, lots of corrupted files
                          KBJR5150 Level 1

Ok, I got the Delkin card reader and I only had 7 corrupted photos instead of dozens out of 500 imported.  So there's a positive.

As for the question of the RAM upgrade, I got the RAM from Out of This World Computing http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/8566DDR3S8GP/.  It was installed by UbreakIfix (You Break , I fix).  I know the "Mac" guy over there and there have been no other issues otherwise.  This Macbook flies better than ever. 

• 10. Re: All of a Sudden, lots of corrupted files
                            dj_paige Level 9

Ok, I got the Delkin card reader and I only had 7 corrupted photos instead of dozens out of 500 imported.  So there's a positive.

I don't see this as a positive. If a new card reader produces the same problem as the old card reader, it says to me you still haven't found the source of the problem, which could be the cards, or the hard disk, or the memory.

• 11. Re: All of a Sudden, lots of corrupted files

As Paige states, there is still something happening somewhere.

Next I would suggest trying to download the files to a different computer using a different card reader.

• 12. Re: All of a Sudden, lots of corrupted files
                                Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As for the question of the RAM upgrade, I got the RAM from Out of This World Computing http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/8566DDR3S8GP/.  It was installed by UbreakIfix (You Break , I fix).  I know the "Mac" guy over there and there have been no other issues otherwise.  This Macbook flies better than ever.

The fact that you are still seeing corrupted files implies that the reader wasn't the issue. It is possible that the built in reader just maps to different parts of memory than the external one. Normally I would 100% trust RAM from OWC. I've bought memory from them for decades now and never seen a dud. However, you might have some bad memory here. One thing to try is to revert to the old memory and see if you still have the problem. It is strange that you are not seeing massive problems just running the computer though. If images are corrupting that frequently I would expect that to happen to other parts of memory too. Have you checked for a hard disk problem? Open Disk Utility (from /Applications/Utilities) and select the top level of your hard disk. Check if it says "S.M.A.R.T. Status : Verified" in the bottom of the screen. Then click on the hard disk icon that represents your internal disk (usually "Macintosh HD") and click "Verify Disk". If there are any errors found, it will tell you how to repair them. If you don't see any errors, try doing a "repair Disk Permissions".

• 13. Re: All of a Sudden, lots of corrupted files

Oh and before you try anything else make sure to try another SD card. That's the one variable that you haven't tried and the one variable that correlates with the onset of issues.

• 14. Re: All of a Sudden, lots of corrupted files
                                    KBJR5150 Level 1

Ok, Jao_vdL. I did what yousaid, everything is looking good.  Its got to be

the card?  I have asked Adorama for an exchange.  I've done a lot of biz

with them and have never had a problem.  Its doing it on both cards that I

rec'd from them.  So, we'll have to wait and see.  I cannot thank you guys

enough for your help.

I would try it with my old San Disc cards, but they both failed a few weeks

ago.  I did use them with my new set up and had no issues until they went

bad.

• 15. Re: All of a Sudden, lots of corrupted files

Well that doesn't mean it must be the cards. The card reader in the camera itself could also be going bad. That does happen and would be my prime suspect if with other cards you still see the problem. It's unfortunately quite common for cards to go bad or even be bad out of the box. I only get major brands but have had problem cards even then. Also I generally trust adorama but there have been cases where major retailers such as Amazon were selling fake cards. Probably not on purpose as it is very hard to spot the fakes. So it is not unlikely to run into a dud.

• 16. Re: All of a Sudden, lots of corrupted files
                                        trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

KBJR5150 wrote:

Its got to be the card?  I have asked Adorama for an exchange.  I've done a lot of biz with them and have never had a problem.  Its doing it on both cards that I rec'd from them.

I would try it with my old San Disc cards, but they both failed a few weeks

ago.  I did use them with my new set up and had no issues until they went

bad.

You have four (4) flash memory cards that ALL failed within a few week period? What's the odds of that happening! How many other memory cards do you have and are any of them now working without issues?

You also say, "I did just have 2 ssd's installed recently as well as 8gb of RAM installed.  Could that have something to do with it?" If all four memory cards failed AFTER installing the memory and SSDs I think you have the answer as to what's causing the issue?

To confirm this connect the new Delkin memory card reader to a known good system, download the files to HDD, and look at the supposed corrupt image files. Make sure to view them using Lightroom or other compatible raw editor so that you aren't just seeing the embedded preview. That's the quickest way to eliminate the memory cards, memory card reader, and your camera as the source of the "corruption." Let's us know what you find so we can make further trouble-shooting suggestions.

• 17. Re: All of a Sudden, lots of corrupted files
                                          KBJR5150 Level 1

Ok, I bought a new card...its not the card.  I took the new card and uploaded it to a different computer and there were ZERO corrupt files.  I've run tests on my HD's and they are coming up with no issues to fix.  I can't do a RAM test because the apple hardware test will not work on this computer(Mid 2010).  I'm convinced its the new RAM.  But I can't test it...anyone know a different way?  Is there a program that works?

Thanks guys!

Ken

• 18. Re: All of a Sudden, lots of corrupted files

If you are near an Apple Store, take it in and they will run a RAM test for you at the Genius bar thing and a bunch of other diagnostics. They'll do all that for free in my experience. Also if you have the old RAM still, it is fairly easy to put it back and Other World Computing has videos that show you how to do it yourself. You can also go to the guy that installed it for you and ask him to put in the old memory and then test if you still have the issue.

• 19. Re: All of a Sudden, lots of corrupted files

Oh you can also test apparently yourself by restarting your machine holding the D key, which should bring up a diagnostics utility: Do you have bad RAM? How to find it and how to fix it | Macworld. Don't know if it will work on your machine but can't hurt to try.