24 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2016 12:15 PM by LightHunter

Lr D7200 Support

chesterdawg Level 1

I just purchased a Nikon D7200 and there is still not an update for support, I'm using V5

When will Lr support the D7200?

How can I load my NEF files as DNG into Lr?

Thank you,

Steve

• 1. Re: Lr D7200 Support
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Adobe does not support the D7200 in any of their software, yet, so whether you are trying to import NEFs or create DNGs, you cannot do either, yet.

Adobe doesn’t comment on when they expect things to happen in the future.

I suspect Adobe has done the work to support the D7200 but has not completed updating the various software components to reflect that work.   dobe is probably busy working on LR 6 and ACR 9 and isn’t going to interrupt that to release an ACR 8.9 or a LR 5.9 unless they determine that it will be a long time before those next two releases are ready.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Lr D7200 Support
            chesterdawg Level 1

I also have but never use Ps6. Is there a way to convert NEFs to DNG then import into Lr where I can then edit/catalog as usual?

Thanks,

Steve

• 3. Re: Lr D7200 Support
              DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

The Nikon D7200 camera is a very recent issue within the last month so there is no support from Adobe for the raw files as yet.

The most logical workflow at present is

a..shoot RAW + JPEG in the camera and utilize the jpeg files until support is available.

b. Utilize the software provided by your camera manufacturer to render / convert the raw files to tiff or jpeg format.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Lr D7200 Support
                chesterdawg Level 1

The lack of a universal format i.e. DNG among the manufacturers is ridiculous! Manufacturer proprietary B.S. drives me nuts. Its one reason I stay away from all apple products but that's another story.

Steve

• 5. Re: Lr D7200 Support

The adoption of the DNG format from Adobe as a standard has been proposed for the past ten plus years with very limited success.

It appears that the camera manufacturers stance is they have provided you with the camera which has built in firmware to produce a jpeg / tiff image rendered file, and where there is the option to capture the raw sensor data they also supply a software application to enable you to render / process the raw data on your computer.

They appear to be unconcerned that that you may have decided to adopt an alternative software application to process the raw data, Adobe Camera Raw / Lightroom ; DxO Optics pro: Capture One or many other options available in the market. Each have their own proprietary processes.

One simple question comes to my mind, why should they (the camera manufacturer) adopt the option offered by Adobe over what is offered by the other software providers. 

• 6. Re: Lr D7200 Support
                    JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Just to experiment with JPEG images until support for the the raw files is provided. Nikon goes to great lengths to provide extensive in-camera processing such as Expeed 4, and all of the scene modes, in-camera sharpening, Active D-lighting ,just to mention a few of the features. And when you shoot raw you can't take advantage of any of those because Lightroom doesn't read that information from the raw file. So take a little time to see what your camera can do in JPEG mode. You might be surprised.

• 7. Re: Lr D7200 Support

If your choice of Raw processing software is Adobe applications then you will just have to wait until  they have completed the process necessary to render the raw data from new camera models to their standards.

If a particular process is critical to your workflow then its best to check if the camera model you are purchasing is supported before you pay. That is the only way that the camera manufacture will know / understand.

• 8. Re: Lr D7200 Support
                        chesterdawg Level 1

I used to shoot jpeg and am aware of what it is capable of but prefer to capture the image and deal with the processing later when I have time to sit. Shooting RAW as you know also gives you the ability to correct any mistake you may have made when the image was taken i.e. incorrect WB setting.

Steve

• 9. Re: Lr D7200 Support
                          chesterdawg Level 1

Lr can handle the D7200 jpeg files correct?

My D7200 should be here in a day or 2. If Lr can import/edit the jpeg as usual I will likely do that until NEF to DNG conversion is available.

Steve

• 10. Re: Lr D7200 Support
                            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

LR will process JPG files regardless of the camera they originate from because there's nothing camera-specific in the pixel data, anymore.

• 11. Re: Lr D7200 Support
                              trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Please see this similar post with a procedure for shooting NEF+JPEG until LR supports the Nikon D7200 raw files: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7415882#7415882

• 12. Re: Lr D7200 Support
                                chesterdawg Level 1

Thank you & all that have replied. I'll likely shoot jpeg and see how much adjustments can be made in Lr. Who knows I may just go back to jpeg, I know many skilled photographers shoot jpeg only I just forget how little or how much I can adjust in Lr but will find out. It will be nice to have the contrast/dynamic range control (ADL) back again if nothing else.

Steve

• 13. Re: Lr D7200 Support
                                  BigMouse Level 1

We have seen reports that LR 6 is released. Does anyone know if it will now support the D5500 and D7200?

• 14. Re: Lr D7200 Support
                                    Joshua Cohen Level 3

Yes it does, as is evident in the many lists of supported cameras.

• 15. Re: Lr D7200 Support
                                      andykazie Level 1

It's supposed to support the Nikon D7200 but I installed it and the new DNG Raw Plugin and it still won't recognize the RAW files, or import in Lightroom

• 16. Re: Lr D7200 Support
                                        chesterdawg Level 1

That bites.

Oh well thanks for letting us know, I'll keep following this post & shooting jpeg. It is nice having ADL. I'll have to see how my jpegs compare to RAW, its been so many years since I've shot jpeg but Auto WB nails it every time.

Steve

• 17. Re: Lr D7200 Support
                                          BigMouse Level 1

Yeah, isn't adobe fantastic. Optics Pro 10 already supports D7200 and D5500. Sooner you get away from this greedy business model, the better for your imaging needs.

• 18. Re: Lr D7200 Support
                                            Joshua Cohen Level 3

andykazie wrote:

It's supposed to support the Nikon D7200 but I installed it and the new DNG Raw Plugin and it still won't recognize the RAW files, or import in Lightroom

I would venture to guess there is some other problem. LR 6/LR CC does support those cameras. Are you sure you are launching LR 6? The upgrade to LR 6 does not remove LR 5 so your shortcuts may not be pointing at the program you think it is.

By the way DNG converter is not a plug in. It's a stand alone application. Adobe Camera Raw is a plug in (which also supports these cameras) but it's a plug in for Photoshop not Lightroom.

• 19. Re: Lr D7200 Support
                                              andykazie Level 1

Thanks for the info, I'm away from my Lightroom Mac, but I think the issue was I was still opening 5.7.8, I'm hoping to find Lightroom 6 in my app folder. (when I get home tonight)

Yes I was aware of the DNG converter, I have that and I installed the plugin for camera raw 9, I was thinking that it serviced both Photoshop and Lightroom, so thanks for clearing that up.

• 20. Re: Lr D7200 Support
                                                davidt6610696 Level 1

In windows, there is a work around.  It is a little batch file/exiftool program developed by Dan Santee (Thanks Dan!)  It is simple and doesn't require file conversion to TIFF, etc.  It converts the exif data of the D7200 to a D5300 which then you can edit in LR.  I put it on my desktop, just drop the NEF files in from Explorer, then the files will load into LR.  See:

http://santeesworkshop.com/Home/tabid/396/Post/1794/Nikon-D7200-NEF-Compatibility

• 21. Re: Lr D7200 Support
                                                  Keith_Reeder Level 4

BigMouse wrote:

Sooner you get away from this greedy business model

Did you somehow confuse Adobe with a charity? Adobe is in the business of making money, not giving out hugs.

• 22. Re: Lr D7200 Support
                                                    Joshua Cohen Level 3

Yeah, and Optics Pro 10 is free and had zero bugs.

• 23. Re: Lr D7200 Support
                                                      Keith_Reeder Level 4

Joshua Cohen wrote:

Yeah, and Optics Pro 10 is free and had zero bugs.

Heh!

I've very recently quit as a beta tester for Optics Pro - one thing it's not is a Lightroom replacement! It's very good at some stuff, but in terms of overall functionality, flexibility and - my personal bête noire - highlight and shadow recovery, Optics Pro is humiliated by Lightroom.

No local adjustments, either.

• 24. Re: Lr D7200 Support
                                                        LightHunter Level 1

Almost a year later and this solution is still rock solid and extremely dependable.  Very thankful for this workaround. Not sure if there has been any other solutions found for this issue, but this one's a winner.