3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2015 5:46 AM by Danny Whitehead.

PDF export Question.

cbishop01 Level 2

Hows come when i send out a PDF In the Advanced Tab the Transparency Flattener  Quality is grayed out If i select any higher Acrobat 4 compatibility?  Do the Newer version of Acrobat not support this?   On some of our files if we send them to plates If the Acrobat Compatibility Is set higher than Acrobat 4 the all the overprinting And knockouts get lost.  Is there a better way to accomplish this? 

Thanks For your help

• 1. Re: PDF export Question.
          Danny Whitehead. Level 4

Acrobat 5 (PDF 1.4) and above supports supports transparency, so it isn't flattened. If the RIP can't reliably flatten transparency, stick with Acrobat 4 (PDF 1.3). Out of interest, what is the RIP, and which version?

• 2. Re: PDF export Question.
            cbishop01 Level 2

Harlequin Rip version 9 rev2.  I did find that in indesign under edit menu there is a Transparency flattening preset menu that lets me use the newer version of PDF output's.

• 3. Re: PDF export Question.
              Danny Whitehead. Level 4

The Transparency Flattener Preset menu lets you define Transparency Flattener Preset, but they aren't actually used unless your printing direct from InDesign or exporting to a PDF version that doesn't support transparency.

What are you trying to accomplish? To create PDFs over version 1.3, but that have flattened transparency? I can't imagine a purpose for such files. We have a Harlequin RIP a version older than yours, and as a rule I feed it PDF/X-4 files (PDF 1.6). The only problem I've seen is transparency on spot jobs generating empty CMYK seps.