3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2015 8:23 AM by trshaner

Preset boo-boo

SausalitoDog Level 2

Hi- Proud to say I haven't been stupid in a while...but....here I go again...

I read an article that stressed the advantages of storing all my presets on Dropbox (this would be especially true for me since I store my LRcat on Dropbox), So I got out my macbook and iMac and when through all the develop presets to be sure I didn't miss any and put them all in my LRcat folder on dropbox and checked the "store with catalog" box in LR prefs.

Wham...everything is great for develop presets but all of my custom print presets (and maybe more I haven't discovered) are now missing. I can't find them since I am not positive where they were before of whether or not my current actions caused the to be deleted.

I do have extensive Time Machine backups and haven't gone there yet (that's kind of the dark side for me) but what do you think? Where should I look? Any chance of getting them back or does it sound like a lost cause and less work to just recreate them as I print?

Thanks,

Tom

Oh yes...yosemite (latest), LR 5 in CC subscription

• 1. Re: Preset boo-boo
          trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try unchecking "Store presets with this catalog" under Edit> Preferences> Presets. You can also click on 'Show Lightroom Presets Folder' and the various preset types are stored in the subfolders here. If the presets are missing you will need to download and restore them from Dropbox AND figure out what went wrong!

I would also make backup copies of all image files, catalogs, etc. to a separate backup drive. I wouldn't rely on Dropbox being bullet-proof!

• 2. Re: Preset boo-boo
            SausalitoDog Level 2

Many thanks.

I just could NOT figure out where the old files were stored...by unchecking the box, I was able to see them and export them and then recheck the box and import them.

I agree with you about dropbox, but I have the dropbox files on 3 macs and two external backups to the iMac so I think I'm pretty covered. It's so much nicer not to have to remember to copy a template or setting to the other machines.

Have a great weekend

Tom

• 3. Re: Preset boo-boo
              trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sounds like you've got it covered!