3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2015 2:13 PM by lindaeliseruble

Narrow down search to a specific page?

lindaeliseruble

Hello,

How can I narrow down a search to a specific page in a PDF document?

For instance, I want to search only page 5.

How can I do this?

Is there any documentation that specifically tells you how to narrow down a search to a page number?

Thanks

Linda

• 1. Re: Narrow down search to a specific page?
          George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

What method are you currently using to search? You can use the doc.getPageNthWord to loop through the words on a particular page.

• 2. Re: Narrow down search to a specific page?
            lindaeliseruble Level 1

Actually, I need to find a particular page before I do a search on it.

My problem is that I need to search a specific book mark in a large document, however, the particular name of the bookmark appears three times and I want to search all three of these bookmarks.

Currently I am using the following to narrow my search to a specific bookmark:

if (global.mainDoc.bookmarkRoot.children[i].name.indexOf("XYZ")!=-1) {

// Do something

}

Unfortunately there are three bookmarks with the same name of XYZ and my search only goes to the last bookmark named XYZ.

I need to know how I can also search the other two bookmarks named XYZ.

The three same named bookmarks appear one right after the other.  Since I am able to search the last of the same named bookmarks, I would like to then go to the previous page and search that page.  Similarly I would like to go to the previous page before that one and search it as well.

I could obtain the number of the last bookmark named XYZ, subtract one from that page to obtain the previous page, and if there is a way to narrow a search to a page number I could search that page ,with the bookmark named XYZ, as well.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Linda

• 3. Re: Narrow down search to a specific page?
              lindaeliseruble Level 1

Actually I have solved my problem.  It was quite easy actually.

I just replaced the green line of code with the red line of code and now all three bookmarks named "Net Charges by Provider" are searched.

if (global.mainDoc.bookmarkRoot.children[i].name.indexOf("Net Charges by Provider")!=-1) {

//PMPgs = getBookmarkRange(global.mainDoc, global.mainDoc.bookmarkRoot, i);

PMPgs.push(getBookmarkRange(global.mainDoc, global.mainDoc.bookmarkRoot, i));

for (var j in PMItms)

global.srchVals[PMItms[j]].srchPgs = PMPgs;

}

Thanks anyway!

Linda