2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2015 2:53 AM by KlausKi

What's the preferred application for GIF/PNG animation in CC?

KlausKi Level 1

After Fireworks has been deprecated, what's the currently preferred application in CC for creating animated GIFs and PNGs?

• 1. Re: What's the preferred application for GIF/PNG animation in CC?
          Herbert2001 Level 4

Flash and Photoshop?

Both offer timelines, and both export to animated gifs. After exporting you may want to optimize the gif animations with a utility such as Gifsicle. It may save quite a bit of file size.

APNG (Animated PNG files) is a non-standard file format, and because of this Adobe applications remain unable to export animated png files.

Chrome, Opera, and IE do not support APNG files either. Safari and Firefox do.

Should you still wish to or require to create APNG files, a list of a number of conversion and editing tools is available here: APNG Software

• 2. Re: What's the preferred application for GIF/PNG animation in CC?
            KlausKi Level 1

Thank you very much for enlightening me on this!

I remember that the palette dithering algorithm in Fireworks was awful, creating sizzling artefacts over and over. I'm glad that other Adobe applications now took the baton. Hope they'll have animated palette dithering improved.

And I was hoping that APNG would be the valid successor of animated GIF, so I was looking forward for it to be standardized.