4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2015 7:30 AM by A.T. Romano

How to change the text already available in a video?

gabrielb509977 Level 1

Hi

I have a video with a text on it that I would like to change. I'm using Premiere Elements. Does anyone can help me?

• 1. Re: How to change the text already available in a video?
          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is the text stationary?  If so, you could create a title with a background to place in a video track above the old text.

If it's not stationary, you will have to keyframe the position of the title.

• 2. Re: How to change the text already available in a video?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

gabrielb

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system is it running?

Could you explain your situation more?

Are you saying that you have a video file that you have imported into Premiere Elements, and this video displays text in the video that plays back. And, you want to change that text? Is that it?

If that is the case, the can and cannot do are going to depend on the placement of the existing text and the frequency of its appearance in the duration of the clip. One approach might be to apply a garbage matte to the clip and then create text in the Titler to go on the track above. Are you OK with keyframing techniques if you have to change the properties of an effect across the duration of the clip?

ATR

• 3. Re: How to change the text already available in a video?
              gabrielb509977 Level 1

AT Romeo

I'm using Premiere Elements 13 on Windows 7. The situation is as your described in your 3rd sentence: Are you saying that you have a video file that you have imported into Premiere Elements, and this video displays text in the video that plays back. And, you want to change that text?

• 4. Re: How to change the text already available in a video?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

gabrielb

Thank you for the reply with additional information.

As I mentioned before

"..... the can and cannot do are going to depend on the placement of the existing text and the frequency of its appearance in the duration of the clip"

Possible means include

1. Garbage matte to hide the existing text and creation of title to placed above the video which is on the lower video track. Then you would need to keyframe the garbage matte for the duration of the video clip to keep pace with the existing text that you want to hide/replace. See Applied Effects/Applied Effects Palette/Crop Panel expanded and Toggle Animation. To get rid of black borders generated in the process, you can scale the image in the Edit area monitor to fit the monitor space. See fx Effects/Keying/and the four, eight, or sixteen point garbage matte.

2. Cropping instead of garbage matte. See fx Effects/Transform/Crop. Keyframing of Crop effect. See Applied Effects/Applied Effects Palette/Crop Panel expanded and Toggle Animation.

3. If the "Elements" are right, use the Effects Mask to blur the section with the text, and then create new text to fit over the blur.

4. Other.

A significant other would be if you had the project file for your video so that you could make the text corrections in it prior to export.

Please do not hesitate to ask if questions or need clarification on the above.

Thanks.

ATR