6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2015 3:54 PM by Geoff the kiwi

Lightroom problem

Wilbam

How do I use images from my backup drive which were put on that drive by another computer using Lr?   Thank you.

• 1. Re: Lightroom problem
          EricBier Level 3

Copy the images from your backup drive to your primary drive into the folder you want to use.

Import the images into Lightroom.

I suggest that you avoid importing from your backup drive because it can be confusing in regard to where your images are.

• 2. Re: Lightroom problem
            Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I believe the OP is not wanting to import back up images but link them to the catalog to repave existing files, is this correct???

Importing is the last, last option as it can lead to massive data loss of work done!!

• 3. Re: Lightroom problem
              Wilbam Level 1

Eric, Thank you for your reply.  I see that the images in the external drive are part of a system image &, I think, not useable in this form.  So, the best course of action might be to copy the images from the old computer to discs, then install in the new computer.  Thanks again.  Bill

• 4. Re: Lightroom problem
                EricBier Level 3

Bill,

If you have a system image, where are the files that you made the system image of?  If you worked on the images in LR, they must have been on your disk outside the system image.

It looks like you have a problematic workflow which can lead to confusion and data loss.  I suggest that you read Scott Kelby's and/or Martin Evening's books on LR to help you develop a good workflow with appropriate backups.

In the mean time, I suggest that you find your images and make at least two additional backups on separate external hard drives before you attempt to put them on the new computer or do anything else with them.

• 5. Re: Lightroom problem
                  Wilbam Level 1

Eric,  Thanks again for your reply & assistance.  The external drive has both the system image from the new computer & the sys image from the old computer on it since they are on a LAN.  The Lr program on the new computer does not know where the images from the old computer are.  And I think they cannot be acquired from the sys image {not sure}.  I will do some reading on this subject.  I too easily get snarled-up using Lr.   Thanks again.  Bill

• 6. Re: Lightroom problem
                    Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Well said Eric....

Bill, I highly recommend Peter Krogh as being number one for file management. Check out his site and books here.