4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2015 4:41 AM by dj_paige

Horrified - Lightroom ruined 15 years of folder catelogs during import

AntoniusFX

I imported my folders, each dated and with remarks in the folder name. To my horror Lightroom CC has removed all the content and created its own folders into dates with which I cannot do anything. How on earth did this happen, Is a program glitch.

• 1. Re: Horrified - Lightroom ruined 15 years of folder catelogs during import
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Not a program glitch. It is a USER glitch. You selected MOVE in the import dialog window instead of selecting ADD. Selecting Add would of ADDED your image to the LR catalog and left the images where you placed them, IE on the drive and in the folders you had them in, originally. Selecting MOVE, or allowing that option to stay as it was (Move selected) MOVED your imaged from the folder they were in to whatever was selected as the destination folder.

You need to look at some tutorial to get an understanding of how LR works and how to work with LR.

• 2. Re: Horrified - Lightroom ruined 15 years of folder catelogs during import
            john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you sure it hasn't simply copied your folder structure?

But no glitch. This happens because you didn't review the Import dialog box before hitting the OK button. At the dialog's top you can choose "Add" which means that the photos will be recorded in their existing folders locations. Move or Copy will move or copy photos into date-analysed folders.

I suggest you restore your backup of your photo folders, and ensure you choose the correct option when you import in future.

• 3. Re: Horrified - Lightroom ruined 15 years of folder catelogs during import
              AntoniusFX Level 1

If it was a question of just moving all my images and folders to a different location I would be fine with it since I could just copy it back.  The whole folder structure was changed, so each set of images was put in its own date folder. I assume that is the default way of doing it, just dates and no explanation what is in the folder.

Anyway, just not happy how easily it happened. I have other Lightroom catalogues and nothing went wrong then.  It just too easy to make a significant mistake in Lightroom. For sure I will not trust the "non-destructive" nature of this program again.

Thanks for the quick answers! It's appreciated.

• 4. Re: Horrified - Lightroom ruined 15 years of folder catelogs during import
                dj_paige Level 9

For sure I will not trust the "non-destructive" nature of this program again.

Lightroom only does what it is told to do. You must have accidentally told Lightroom to do this.

The "non-destructive" refers to editing, not file storage. There's no reason to doubt that Lightroom's editing of your files is non-destructive.