8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2015 7:37 PM by emilyk14580

Nikon D7200

rened82611541

How do I open my NEF files in PSE10

• 1. Re: Nikon D7200
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Short answer, you don't, and you won't be able to. The D7200 isn't supported in any Adobe software as yet. My guess is that it will be supported in the next release of Camera Raw. But that version isn't going to be compatible with Photoshop Elements 10. When the camera is eventually supported there will be a free DNG converter downloadable from Adobe that will enable you to create DNG copies that you would be able to open in PE10. But if you want native support for the camera it will be necessary for you to upgrade your software when it becomes available.

• 2. Re: Nikon D7200
            dbungophotography

well, Adobe better get on the stick!! Can't process any images till they get around to a plug in??  D7200 is nearly the same as D7100. How hard can it be.  Maybe there's truth to the rumor Adobe doesn't like Nikon???

• 3. Re: Nikon D7200
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'd guess Adobe has completed the work to support this camera; however, there is a release schedule and the next version has not come out, yet. 

• 4. Re: Nikon D7200
                MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

Raw files from the Nikon D7200 is now supported in Camera Raw 9 and DNG Converter 9, both released today.

• 5. Re: Nikon D7200
                  emilyk14580

The new ACR update only supports Photoshop CS6 and above. I understand there is a way to go around this by converting the files with the DNG converter, but will this only allow opening the files in Photoshop or does it have some sort of editing capabilities (like the ACR interface)? Has anyone heard whether Adobe will have an update for programs below CS6? I have CS5 and I love it- but now I can't do small ACR edits on my raw files!

• 6. Re: Nikon D7200
                    ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

DNGs converted from NEFs are still raw files, just with the new Adobe-profile information added so older ACR plug-ins can work with them. 

DNGs won’t work with Nikon software so keep your NEFs, somewhere.

One thing to be very careful of is don’t use any old Nikon software with NEFs from the new camera, otherwise the NEFs will become corrupted as far as Adobe software is concerned.  You should either only use the latest Nikon software that came with your D7200 and uninstall previous Nikon software, or you should avoid touching the files with any Nikon software.  Viewing the NEFs with an old ViewNX is enough to corrupt them.

• 7. Re: Nikon D7200
                      emilyk14580 Level 1

Thank you so much for the clarification!

• 8. Re: Nikon D7200
                        emilyk14580 Level 1

Wanted to follow up. I just tried a few NEF files from my d7200 with the DNG converter and it worked like a dream. Thank you so much!!!