12 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2015 2:06 PM by ECBowen

Uber build for C4D, but for PP and AE?

Chase Chick Level 1

Putting together something for C4D to try to hold down those render times.  Question is how helpful this would be for PP and AE.  Here's what I've put together in my shopping cart on Newegg:

2x Intel Xeon E5-2630 v3 Haswell-EP 2.4GHz 8 cores.  16 physical cores, 32 threads total

Crucial BX100 CT250BX100SSD1 2.5" 250GB   for OS

SSD for cache, SSD for source files, 4x 1tb in RAID 10 for projects/exports, Amazon unlimited storage for backup

2x DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX 400 CPU Cooler 4 Heatpipes 120mm PWM Fan

ASUS Z10PA-D8 ATX Server Motherboard Dual LGA 2011-3 DDR4

128GB RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 series 64GB (8 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133

Rosewill Photon-750, PHOTON Series 750W Full Modular Power Supply, 80 PLUS Gold Certified

MSI GTX 980 GAMING 4G GeForce GTX 980

Phanteks “ Enthoo Pro Series “ PH-ES614P_BK Black Steel

Total comes to

$4,175.88

I have some of these hard drives already, just buying one extra HDD and one extra SSD

I know with C4S, the more cores the better for rendering, but the big Q is, how useful is a 2P machine for AE and PP?  Thanks everyone for any feedback.

• 1. Re: Uber build for C4D, but for PP and AE?
          RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

dual cpu should be fine, however seems like there is some problem with the new 18core/32thread cpu. others here know dual cpu better.

Premiere & Media Encoder only using all cores of only 1 CPU

for the ssd, samsung pro's and the intel 730 480gb are recommended. intel if doing any raid with the ssds.

if you haven't considered it already, you may want to look at a silent case to reduce noise. like the fractal define R5.

you may also want to look for a quiet cpu cooler, noctua, be quiet, phanteks are a few brands.

you can look up reviews for cases, fans etc. here is just one website silentpcreview.com | Everything about Silent / Quiet Computers

dump the rosewill, you dont want to cut corners on the psu. corsair HX or AX series, seasonic X or SS series, XFX pro series, thermaltake tough power series, or evga GS, G2, PS, P2  are a few known good brands/models.

• 2. Re: Uber build for C4D, but for PP and AE?
            Chase Chick Level 1

Well I wonder if the chip I have picked out would have the same trouble.  Anyone out there in Adobe land that has this chip care to weight in?  I would definitely be hesitant to get a system like this if it doesn't even work to its full potential.

• 3. Re: Uber build for C4D, but for PP and AE?
              Chase Chick Level 1

The case just got a very solid review on Anandtech.  And I'm not concerned about noise that much.  Also, my current thoughts are that the PSU is like ketchup, even if you get something cheap, it's still gonna get the job done.

• 4. Re: Uber build for C4D, but for PP and AE?

phanteks have been making very good products, and the cases are good. the for the psu, its not as simple as you put it. it can be more important to pick a good one than other parts of the computer. when a cheap video card or other component fails, it doesn't put the other system components at risk like a psu can. yes, the are suppose to have fail safes to protect against damaging the rest of the system, but cheap psu's use cheap or no real fail safes and the safety net is reduced or eliminated. even if it doesn't damage anything else, its more likely to fail and put the computer out of operation until it can be replaced. if that's acceptable to you, just to save a few bucks, go for it.

• 5. Re: Uber build for C4D, but for PP and AE?
                  Chase Chick Level 1

Good points.  So is the one I picked no good?

• 6. Re: Uber build for C4D, but for PP and AE?
                    Chase Chick Level 1

Another question I had about the CPU.  It says on the spec sheet that it is rated for 1866 RAM.  Is is necessary to pick this speed RAM?

• 7. Re: Uber build for C4D, but for PP and AE?

i think you could find a better psu for not much more, the list of psu's i posted early are just some suggestions. look up reviews for any you plan on getting. also the mbd manual also shows 2x8pin connectors, says only needs one for the 85watt cpu, but i would get a psu with 2x8 EPS just to be safe.

so the memory you have listed is for regular desktop motherboards, but you have a server motherboard and cpu. i looked at the server memory and still couldn't find any 1866, so you may have to get the 2133 and under-clock it for the cpu that wants 1866. i did find this on intel's forum. dual xeon / low frequency | Intel Communities.

you need to find memory supported by that motherboard, the asus website says rdimm, lrdimm, nvdimm. the pdf for supported memory only lists 2133, so again might have to get that and under-clock in the bios to 1866 for the cpu requirement.

Servers & Workstations | Z10PA-D8 | ASUS Global

Supported Memory | Z10PA-D8 | ASUS USA

• 8. Re: Uber build for C4D, but for PP and AE?
                        ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The Clock speed on those Xeons is to low and not what I would suggest especially for Adobe. Clock speed has significant impact on GPU acceleration and realtime playback. I would high suggest you look at the X99 platform with a 5960X instead versus Dual  Xeons. The Dual  Xeon build only performs better if you get the higher clocked chips which are far more expensive. I would also suggest you look at Octane for GPU acceleration with C4D if you want to seriously reduce the render times. The budget range you list above is far more suited for a better speced single X99 system.

Eric

ADK

• 9. Re: Uber build for C4D, but for PP and AE?
                          Chase Chick Level 1

I was planning on keeping my current system:

i7 4770

nvidia 760

32 gig ram

and using it for the content creation, then kicking it over to the build above for rendering.  This way I can stay productive and render at the same time.  Would that make much difference in your recommendation?  Or should I just kick out the 760, get a Titan Z, get Octane, and call it a day?

• 10. Re: Uber build for C4D, but for PP and AE?

The 4770 wont be able to push a Titan X card right now that hard and you want the Titan X instead of the Z if you get a Titan card. A 980GTX would be more suitable to the 4770 system. Octane is really your best bet to improve your render times with C4D. The X99 system would outperform the Dual Xeon above with that and the Adobe applications. That is also why I suggested that. The PSU listed above btw is not nearly big enough for a Dual Xeon with a 980GTX card especially with that Asus board. You need a 1000W minimum with that configuration. A 750W is barely enough for a X99 system with the 980 card.

Eric

ADK

• 11. Re: Uber build for C4D, but for PP and AE?
                              Chase Chick Level 1

I was looking at this comparison over at Anandtech

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1317?vs=1372

They didn't have the xeon chip I was looking for, but I felt like the 2650L was pretty close, and it doubled the cinebench multithreaded speed of the 5960x. 

So that was kind of the reason why I was looking at the 8 core xeon above, most specifically for C4D at render time.  My actually renders AE and PP quick enough for my liking.  It's the several hour (sometimes days) renders on C4D that really throw a wrench in my content creation.  Right now I've actually been using a cloud render farm that I pay for per render, Pixel Plow.

• 12. Re: Uber build for C4D, but for PP and AE?

Cinebench doesn't equate to GPU acceleration performance. That is strictly CPU processing. C4D multithreads out very well so it will show considerable CPU processing improvement with greater threads. GPU acceleration requires enough cores/threads to ideally decode the media your working with and the GHz is far more important. So applications such as Premiere would work far better on the X99 and i7 5960X. This is why configurations are based off what the client is doing and with what applications and media. With what you are planning on using application wise the X99 with GPU acceleration as the focus would be the way to go especially if you get Octane for the C4D which is what I suggest. The Dual Xeon system will help the C4D render performance but not the performance with the other apps. BTW have you tested the trial of Octane yet? It's limited to 1K res but it should give you an idea of the performance difference.

Eric

ADK