17 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2015 9:17 PM by Jao vdL

Where to keep camera raw cache? Catalog is in Dropbox, Multiple computers.

nagol5178SN Level 1

Here is my issue, I sync my Catalog with my Dropbox folder, so I can use my laptop and work with smart previews or bring a small external drive that contain the photo's. That works great. However, where do I store the Cache?

The reason I don't want dropbox to sync the cache, is because I live in a place where internet is not ran. Therefore, I have to use a Verizon 4G LTE Jetpack. I get about 20 megs down and 5 up, so speed is no problem. However, I have a 20GB a month cap. So, I really don't want it uploading something it doesn't have to.

I'm fine with having two cache's on two different computers but will that work well? I thought about putting the Cache on an external drive and bringing it, so I always have the same cache, however I read that putting a cache on an external drive will slow me down and it's better that they be on my internal SSD. I do have an external SSD USB 3.0 portable drive which reads and writes at about 400. My internal drive reads and writes at about 800.

I have my Adobe Bridge cache on my internal on both machines, however, it's not like Lightroom, it has no catalog. I also have Premiere Pro CC cache on both computers, not sync'd, just different cache's, I wanted to put them on an external but the forums are telling me not to.

Will there be any problems having two different camera raw cache's yet having the same Lightroom Catalog?

• 1. Re: Where to keep camera raw cache? Catalog is in Dropbox, Multiple computers.
          Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The camera raw cache HAS to be on your local drive to make any sense. It is there to speed up local access. You really do not want to put that on an online resource and sync it. It won't help. Will only waste your bandwidth and will not do its intended purpose.

• 2. Re: Where to keep camera raw cache? Catalog is in Dropbox, Multiple computers.

also all the other caches that you talk about really should be on an internal hard disk. They should be on the fastest disk you have and should not be on a resource that might be unavailable (like an external drive) and absolutely never on a network drive as those are several orders of magnitude slower.

• 3. Re: Where to keep camera raw cache? Catalog is in Dropbox, Multiple computers.
              nagol5178SN Level 1

Well, if I put the cache and photoshop scratch disk, and premiere scratch disk all on my internal drive, within no time I won't have any space left at all, I won't know which ones I really want to delete or not.

What if I kept the Cache for camera raw from lightroom and photoshop on each machines internal, set it to 50GB, which means when it hits 50 it'll start erasing and start over right? But put the scratch disk on an external ssd?

• 4. Re: Where to keep camera raw cache? Catalog is in Dropbox, Multiple computers.

There is no reason to make the camera raw cage that gigantic. The default is good enough. At most double the default number. Your internal would have to be tiny for the cache to be a real problem. These caches really are only for speeding up access to what you are currently working on.

Be very careful with a catalog file on Dropbox btw. There is quite a potential to corrupt the catalog that way if it syncs while you have it open.

• 5. Re: Where to keep camera raw cache? Catalog is in Dropbox, Multiple computers.

If your external ssd is always connected than there is no issue having a scratch on there.

• 6. Re: Where to keep camera raw cache? Catalog is in Dropbox, Multiple computers.
                    nagol5178SN Level 1

Yes, I have had the sync issue happen before, I know better than to have them open at the same time or open one before I've uploaded from the other.

The only reason I want to use the external SSD as a scratch, is it doesn't seem like caches do. The cache, I can set to a specific number, know where the folder is, and know that my computer will never have a space problem.

With the scratch disk, premiere pro cc lets you choose where you put it, you can use the internal drive and when you're finished delete the scratch disk files or move them. But I have no idea where photoshop CC stores my scratch disk files and I don't want anything taking up internal space where I can't get to it and know exactly what to delete. On premiere, the scratch disk files can be set to a specific folder, so I know which files go to which project and which I am done with and can  delete/move.

Photoshop won't give me that option, it just wants me to pick a disk for scratch disk and that's it, so I'm forced to use an external. I do keep it plugged in at all times on both machines whenever I open photoshop.

• 7. Re: Where to keep camera raw cache? Catalog is in Dropbox, Multiple computers.
                      JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can specify the location of your cache file in your Lightroom preferences under the the file handling tab.

• 8. Re: Where to keep camera raw cache? Catalog is in Dropbox, Multiple computers.

There is no problem with cache on an external disk as long as the disk is fast and on a fast interface. USB 3 is probably the bare minimum. It could even be better than internal if the drive is on thunderbolt for example and is a ssd while your internal is a spinny disk.

• 9. Re: Where to keep camera raw cache? Catalog is in Dropbox, Multiple computers.
                          nagol5178SN Level 1

Well, my internal disk is an SSD. But it reads and writes double because it's internal. The external reads and writes way faster than the 7200rpm 3.0 hard drives. But it's still about half of the internal ssd.

I've decided to use the external ssd as a scratch disk for photoshop. On premiere, I'm gonna use the internal since it's faster and since it will specifically tell me where the scratch files are going. If photoshop would just do that and I knew when files were connected to what project, I'd use the internal one for it.

I've decided to use internal for all cache's. Premiere, and camera raw. Then of course the lightroom is internal SSD on both computers through dropbox.

• 10. Re: Where to keep camera raw cache? Catalog is in Dropbox, Multiple computers.

As far as I know Photoshop deletes all scratch and temp files automatically upon restarting it and quitting it. You should never have to manually delete anything. Also, if you want to clear it out while you are working in it, go to Edit->Purge->All. That should get rid of the temp files but will make it impossible to step back in history on the files you are working with.

• 11. Re: Where to keep camera raw cache? Catalog is in Dropbox, Multiple computers.
                              nagol5178SN Level 1

I have heard that but then I have seen other people say their hard drive was maxed out because of photoshop scratch disk files and they had to go in and delete some. I don't know which one is true.

• 12. Re: Where to keep camera raw cache? Catalog is in Dropbox, Multiple computers.

I don't think you have to worry about that. I certainly have never seen it leave behind files. Read this thread for example. Scratch Disc Full: Where are the temp files kept? Chris is one of the main Photoshop engineers and quite clearly states it to be the case that Photoshop cleans up after itself. I don't think there is much magic involved.

• 13. Re: Where to keep camera raw cache? Catalog is in Dropbox, Multiple computers.
                                  nagol5178SN Level 1

Okay, but after seeing that I still am unsure but I think I get it. Let me confirm with you;

What is happening is, when you open a project or close, it clears the scratch files. But, why then do people get the error that scratch disk is full, right when they opened a new project? In other words, nothing has even been done to the project, so it hasn't gone beyond the ram or GPU to the scratch disk, why is it then full?

Is it that it sets what it needs for that project before starting work on it?

• 14. Re: Where to keep camera raw cache? Catalog is in Dropbox, Multiple computers.

There is normally far more happening on that disk than just the scratch. The big one is the system virtual memory swap files. If you put the photoshop scratch disk on your system disk, you cannot trust the amount of free space to remain constant. When you launch any program this usually grows by quite a bit. In general it won't actually decrease when you quit the program later. It is likely that this is a large part of what people are mistaking for photoshop littering files. I would be greatly surprised if the photoshop folks are really that incompetent. On the other hand, there are very good reasons for the operating swap files to grow during use. The biggest reason is being able to more quickly reload apps and shared libraries the next time you launch something. Most of the time you can only really shrink them by rebooting but they will slowly grow again after.

If people see this decrease in disk space when the scratch is on an external that is not accessed by anything else than we could suspect file littering but I doubt this is what people observe. It's probably always the startup disk and simply the swap files growing.

• 15. Re: Where to keep camera raw cache? Catalog is in Dropbox, Multiple computers.
                                      nagol5178SN Level 1

Hmmm... Well I have tested my scratch disk, while files are open,  in premiere and photoshop, I've been doing them both to external SSD's, it seems that I rarely need any scratch disk. I do have 2GB of ram in my GPU with 16GB of ram in the macbook, internal ssd and quad core i7 though. It seems to be able to do everything without resorting to the scratch disk, at least so far. I've opened up and worked on some complex photoshop projects.

Also, in Premiere I color graded by direct linking to speed grade and back to premiere 4k footage, which is huge, shot on a camera that doesn't compress much, and it didn't use the scratch disk at all, I know that speed grade doesn't anyway, but neither did premiere. But I don't make a lot of previews or anything. Photoshop uses it, but the file was very small and I saw it delete when I exited photoshop.

Either way, I'm just gonna keep the scratch disk on the separate drive because I don't like the idea of opening some huge files and getting the scratch disk is full error.

Even though it's not an internal drive, it's faster as being an SSD 3.0 than what most people are even using as their internal drives. Almost no one had SSD's not that long ago, scratch disk would have been 7200RPM raids if they did it external. That doesn't clock as fast as the external SSD. So it seems there should be no issues.

This is one of the downsides of mac, I can't put a second SSD as a second drive in there. In my older macbook, I did do that, I removed the optical drive and put in a second SSD, and it would not work for some reason, I put a regular HDD and it worked, but that drive died so I took it out.

• 16. Re: Where to keep camera raw cache? Catalog is in Dropbox, Multiple computers.
                                        nagol5178SN Level 1

What about this? What if instead of USB 3.0, I got an SSD enclosure for an external eSATA, and used the eSata to thunderbolt adapter. I've read that makes it equal to my internal and it would be as if I had two internal's as far as speed.

• 17. Re: Where to keep camera raw cache? Catalog is in Dropbox, Multiple computers.

That's probably a good idea. Thunderbolt to eSATA should be much faster than plain old USB3