3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2015 1:43 AM by john beardsworth

Designer / Photographer ideal workflow

Pets73 Level 1

Hello,

I am in the process of moving from Aperture to Lightroom and I can't find the answers to my worries anywhere.

My issues spring from the fact that I have some needs as a photographer, with a 320 GB library and the need to keyword and sort my photographs; but also the needs of a designer where I want to group Adobe illustrator, photoshop, jpgs and pdfs and sometimes word docs all together in folders by project. I like to view these design files/projects in Adobe Bridge because it's great for viewing all file types and sometimes I like to load different images into one photoshop file in different layers, a great feature of Bridge. However I haven't got round to using many of the other features of Bridge. My design files also include loads of inspiration/moodboard images which are often from the internet (so saved on my desktop) or from my own photographs (therefore in Aperture/Lightroom).

I can't just import everything into Lightroom because it can't see pdfs and ai files. Also, the irritation of having to import and reimport all the time is a nightmare.

So , I have to reach some kind of midway point - which I tried to do with Aperture but it wasn't entirely successful. (if you ask me there is a niche for  professional software for people like me).

I also have the added issue that my harddrive on my Mac (running Yosemite) is filling up fast (900GB out of 1tb drive) so I want to move all my photos to an external 1tb drive. I have researched how to do this and know about smart previews.

SO:

How do I get my Lightroom set up so that Bridge can read the image files I want it to, which are stored in Lightroom? For example, photography I have taken for inspirational purposes to inspire my design projects.

Do I have a whole separate file system which lightroom can point to, or do I have to import them into LR - in which case Bridge can't see them ?? What would you do in this situation?

Eg - I may have tree photos which I have grabbed off the internet. And I have tree photos of my own which are in Lightroom. How can I get all photos of these trees in one place? ANd make it so these trees can be viewed next to my design files in Bridge??

I think I can leave photos in the place I want with Lightroom??

Ie, in my TREE TEXTILES design folder, I also see inspirational pics of trees  altogether in Bridge along with the Adobe Illustrator design files.  I also want those inspirational pix of trees to be inside Lightroom too. Can I get Lightroom to point to those tree images happily? And what if I was to add more pictures of trees to the folder later, would it be a nightmare to remember to import them so that lightroom can see them??

Another question:

I use photostream with Aperture which is a quick way of getting my photos from my devices onto my computer to work with. Can LR use photostream too?

And another:

When importing is it important to create a smart collection or collection for all the images in that import, because it seems to me that they will otherwise just float around inside the main parent folder and become untraceable- unlike in Aperture where they automaticallly get a project name and order by date, or iphoto where an event is automatically created? Am I wrong about this? I haven't played with LR that much yet.

Many thanks!

• 1. Re: Designer / Photographer ideal workflow
          Pets73 Level 1

OH AND! would I also use Photos as a way to import images tooo??? Or I wouldn't need it?

• 2. Re: Designer / Photographer ideal workflow
            Pets73 Level 1

ah ok forget my third question I've just seen it does actually show you the filename of the original folder or the new folder - I hadn't noticed it before!

• 3. Re: Designer / Photographer ideal workflow
              john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Maybe you should look up John Ellis's AnyFile plugin which would allow you to import any file into LR. This would change the whole basis of your questions, as you could greatly reduce your use of Bridge. If you want to see an individual file in Bridge, you can drag it from LR and drop on Bridge in the dock.

How do I get my Lightroom set up so that Bridge can read the image files I want it to, which are stored in Lightroom? - nothing special to do

Do I have a whole separate file system which lightroom can point to, or do I have to import them into LR - in which case Bridge can't see them ?? What would you do in this situation? - Forget how Aperture does things. With LR, photos remain in regular folders. Import is more "registering" or "cataloguing", not sucking them into a package or vault.

I may have tree photos which I have grabbed off the internet. And I have tree photos of my own which are in Lightroom. How can I get all photos of these trees in one place? - You add keywords.

And make it so these trees can be viewed next to my design files in Bridge?? - You would find them in LR.

I think I can leave photos in the place I want with Lightroom?? - Yes

I use photostream with Aperture which is a quick way of getting my photos from my devices onto my computer to work with. Can LR use photostream too? - Not directly, but it's not the only way to get photos from A to B.

John