20 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2015 4:43 PM by A.T. Romano

Playback video in Premiere Elements 11

Lourdesm12@aol.com

Good evening - I cannot get Quicktime movies (videos with a .mov extension) to play back without stuttering in Premiere Elements 11, and wonder if anyone knows how this might be fixed?  Thank you, Mike

• 1. Re: Playback video in Premiere Elements 11
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

MOV is a wrapper, what is inside YOUR wrapper - Exactly what is INSIDE the video you are editing?

Codec & Format information, with 2 links inside for you to read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1070933 for screen shot instructions

Free programs to get file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

Does your video use a VARIABLE Frame Rate or a Constant Frame Rate?

• 2. Re: Playback video in Premiere Elements 11
            Lourdesm12@aol.com Level 1

Thank you John, I am reading up on the links now ...

• 3. Re: Playback video in Premiere Elements 11
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Lourdesm12

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 11 running?

What is the brand/model/settings for the camera that recorded your source .mov files?

What project preset did you (manually) or the project (automatically) set to match the properties of your .mov files?

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 11?

Are you playing back the rendered or unrendered Timeline in the Edit area monitor of the project?

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Playback video in Premiere Elements 11

Good morning AT-

My computer is using Windews 7, and the video recorder is a ZOOM Q2HD, which uses the Video format: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 (MOV).

I have not changed the Project Settings in Premiere Elements.

I did install QuickTime, the latest version, yesterday, and the video will play on QuickTIme.

Is any of this helpful?

Thanks, Mike

• 5. Re: Playback video in Premiere Elements 11
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Lourdesm

Please verify that the problem exists before and after export. We need to establish whether this is a Edit area previewing issue or an overall issue the affects the whole project including export.

Also, if you are looking at the rendered Timeline and still see the stuttering, please do this.

Right click the Timeline video, select Time Stretch, in the Time Stretch dialog set the Speed % to 99.

Close out of Time Stretch, render the Timeline content, and observe the playback behavior of that Timeline file...worse, better, the same?

ATR

• 6. Re: Playback video in Premiere Elements 11

Dear A.T.,

I set the Time Stretch to 99%, but did not notice any difference - the stuttering is still there.

I can play the video with Quick Time Player when it is a .mov file before I load it into Elements, but afterwards it is a .prel file and I cannot play it.

Mike

• 7. Re: Playback video in Premiere Elements 11
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike

Thanks for the update.

As per post 5, please confirm whether or not....

1. The work is being done in the project file (.prel) and you have stuttering in the playback within the project's Edit area monitor.

But, if you export that stuttering Timeline to a file saved to the computer hard drive (Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTime and an appropriate preset), does that export play back in your computer player (QuickTime) with stutter?

2. And, when you are looking at the stuttering playback in the Edit area monitor (before export to file saved to the computer hard drive) is there an orange line over the Timeline content.Render.JPG

The screenshot was taken using version 12/12.1, but is representative of the situation in 11 and 13 also.

ATR

• 8. Re: Playback video in Premiere Elements 11

Thank you again ATR,

1. Yes, when the work is being done in the project file (.prel) and I do have the stuttering in the playback within the project's Edit area monitor.

And when I export that stuttering Timeline to a file saved to the computer hard drive it still plays back in QuickTime with a stutter. When I try it in Windows Media Player only the video will play, no audio (before or after using Premiere Elements 11).

2. When I am looking at the stuttering playback in the Edit area monitor (before export to file saved to the computer hard drive) is there NOT an orange line over the Timeline.

I downloaded GSpot. The video I am working with has an Audio Codec lpcm, and the Video's Codec is avc1, Name H.264.

It looks like the video is crammed into the first frames of the video, that it plays back much more quickly than the video does!? Someone suggested taking a screen shot - I will try to figure out how to do that.

Mike

• 9. Re: Playback video in Premiere Elements 11
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike

Thanks for the verifications. Please check out the following on posting screenshots...

The specified item was not found.

In a prior post, you wrote

My computer is using Windews 7, and the video recorder is a ZOOM Q2HD, which uses the Video format: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 (MOV).

That would appear to be AVCHD.mov which is expected to be supported by Premiere Elements. But, there could be a possibility that ZOOM Q2HD is using some sort of proprietary video codec. We can explore that next. I will check online to see if there is a sample out there of the file.

Do you know if the video was recorded with a variable frame rate instead of a constant one? I do not see that type of information included in the Zoom Q2D specifications Q2HD | ZOOM

ATR

• 10. Re: Playback video in Premiere Elements 11

OK, here is a screen shot - I cannot figure out if it was recorded at a variable frame rate or constant. Will try to keep checking on that ...Capture_Mikes_Premiere_Elements_Window.PNG

• 11. Re: Playback video in Premiere Elements 11
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike

We can approach the variable versus constant frame rate inquiry in two ways....

by interference...take the video into the free HandBrake program and convert to a H.264.mp4 file with a constant frame rate of 29.97 progressive frames per second (if in NTSC setup).

https://handbrake.fr/

If the convert does not have the stutter, then we might assume that a variable frame rate was the cause of the problem.

using the MediaInfo properties readout software in Tree View....if your video was recorded with a variable frame rate, then the properties readout should have 3 frame rate readings - minimum frame rate, in between frame rate, and maximum frame rate.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/

MediaInfo will give us the information we want, but it comes with unwanted baggage. So, you need to be extremely careful with your choices in download and install options.

The preferred way would be to find the information from the manufacturer of the recorder.

If you need supplemental information on any of the above, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 12. Re: Playback video in Premiere Elements 11

I did find info from the manufacturer's support that indicates it is a variable frame rate:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362143-Tools-For-Combining-And-Converting-Rec orded-Files

And I did download handbrake from http://handbrake.fr/ and use it to convert a video, which then worked.

But now I am reading comments that there is a considerable loss of quality when a file is converted like this using handbrake :-(

Thanks for all the help -

Mike

• 13. Re: Playback video in Premiere Elements 11
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike

There need not be a significant loss of quality in converting the source to H.264.mp4 with the constant frame rate. Did you match bitrate of source and HandBrake output?

What is the bitrate of the source? Did you match that bitrate in the HandBrake settings?

Your source was 1920 x 1080 (AVCHD.mov).

What was the frame rate value in between the minimum and maximum frame rates for the file.

What frame rate did you set to constant for the HandBrake output?

With that information, I will post suggested settings for HandBrake if you need them.

ATR

• 14. Re: Playback video in Premiere Elements 11

I really appreciate all your help ATR,

I think I did finally figure out how to match the Frame Rate (59.94) as well as the Bit Rate (13336) in the HandBrake settings. The movies I export from Premiere Elements 11 will work now with Windows Media Player just fine, but I am having some problems with QuickTime.  It may be the QuickTime program itself, because now it will not open when I click on it, and I've tried uninstalling and installing again, but the problems persists. Anyhow, when I play the movie in QuickTime (after exporting from Elements as and H.264/MPEG-4 AVC), the audio and video do not sync at all.

Thanks again for all,

Mike

• 15. Re: Playback video in Premiere Elements 11
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike

Thanks for the update and the good news of progress. Good job.

I am not sure what is going on with your QuickTime install. If you try for another QuickTime uninstall/reinstall, please do a free ccleaner run through (regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts) in between the uninstall and reinstall. When you are doing this

a. running programs as administrator

b. antivirus and firewall(s) disabled

I did a Premiere Elements export of AVCHD.mp4 @ 59.94 progressive frames per second and played it back without issues in QuickTime installed on the same computer as Premiere Elements Windows.

Did you get a chance to run the file through MediaInfo before taking it through HandBrake for the variable to constant frame rate fix? I was wondering what the three frame rate values might have been....would 59.94 or thereabouts be the mid value or the min or max?

Also, please clarify. You wrote

Anyhow, when I play the movie in QuickTime (after exporting from Elements as and H.264/MPEG-4 AVC), the audio and video do not sync at all.

Are you saying that the Premiere Elements export of the HandBrake fixed file now plays video audio in sync in Windows Media Player, but not QuickTime?

ATR

• 16. Re: Playback video in Premiere Elements 11

Hi ATR,

You asked, "Are you saying that the Premiere Elements export of the HandBrake fixed file now plays video audio in sync in Windows Media Player, but not QuickTime?"

That is correct, and I've tried several different formats now on export. I did another uninstall/re-install of QuickTime, and it is working now, though still a bit weirdly.  The files still do not sync in QuickTime ...

Best,

Mike

• 17. Re: Playback video in Premiere Elements 11
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike

The QuickTime player that you are using, is that the regular QuickTIme 7 (7.7.6) player or the QuickTIme Pro? I am assuming QuickTime 7.

Did you get the download from

Apple - QuickTime - Download

ATR

• 18. Re: Playback video in Premiere Elements 11

Yes, it is QuickTIme 7 (7.7.6), which I downloaded from the Apple site-

By the way, how did you set the file to export from Premiere at 59.94 frames per second?  I think that could be my problem; no matter what setting I choose, the resulting output seems to be at 24 frames per second ...

Mike

• 19. Re: Playback video in Premiere Elements 11

OK, I believe I finally figured it out - in the Export Settings I chose a higher format set at 60fps ...

Again, I really appreciate your patience with me on this!

Mike

• 20. Re: Playback video in Premiere Elements 11
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike

Thanks for the follow ups. Appreciated.

If you have the issue resolved with adjustment of the export settings, great news. Great job.

But, if you have any question about those settings, please do not hesitate to ask.

Some of the important factors to be considered

a. Project preset should match the properties of the source media.

b. Adobe default export settings for a preset can often be customized under the Advanced Button of the preset selected if the preset is one that comes with the Advanced Button for these advanced export settings. The Adobe default export settings are said to be optimized, but there are times when customization of the preset is needed.

Best wishes

ATR