6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2015 11:46 AM by richardg1208378

How to convert a PrE 3.0 project to PrE 9.0

richardg1208378

I have some old videos that were done in Premiere Elements 3.0 and I wish to edit them.  I have PrE 9.0 on my current computer, but it won't even open the old version.  Any help would be appreciated.

Rick

• 1. Re: How to convert a PrE 3.0 project to PrE 9.0
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Rick

What computer operating system is involved?

There is no guarantee that any Premiere Elements project file created in an earlier version will open in a later one. There are major differences between version 3.0/3.0.2 and version 9.0/9.0.1. What you want to do is possible, but often problematic with low chance for success.

By old videos I am assuming that you are referring to project files and not exports from Premiere Elements 3.0/3.0.2. Right? If you have the opportunity to finish the project files created in 3.0/3.0.2 in 3.0/3.0.2, then please consider doing that. Be aware that project files created in an earlier version and edited in a later version cannot be edited again in the earlier version. So as a safety net, work from a copy of the 3.0/3.0.2 project file that you intend to open in Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1.

Have you double checked to assure that the media that went into the 3.0/3.0.2 project file is still connected to 3.0/3.0.2?

Please consider and then we can discuss this further.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: How to convert a PrE 3.0 project to PrE 9.0
            richardg1208378 Level 1

A.T.

Thanks for the reply.  The old videos are project files created in version 3.0.  I got a new laptop and installed PrE 3.0, but when I attempt to open up the project, it says that I need to activate MPEG-2.  No problem.  All I need to do is go to the Adobe site and get the activation code.  Problem is that the Adobe website says that activation codes for older versions were not being distributed anymore and you should upgrade to a newer version.  So I go ahead and install PrE 9.0, but it won't open up the 3.0 project.  Any suggestions?

Rick

• 3. Re: How to convert a PrE 3.0 project to PrE 9.0
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Rick

Thanks for the reply.

There may be hope for Premiere Elements 3. Are you working with an Internet connection? If so, MPEG2 activation should be going through automatically, with maybe a flash on/off of a message about MPEG2 activation taking place. With Internet connection OK, uninstall Premiere Elements 3, do a free ccleaner run through (regular and registry parts), and then install 3.0 with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled. Once 3 is installed, then be sure to install the 3.0.2 Update. Have you been there and done all that?

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3565

Have we determined if you have a good QuickTime install on your computer with these programs? Please verify that by determining if you see QuickTime presets for Share/Computer/QuickTime or however that exists for 3.0/3.0.2. Be sure to be running the programs as administrator. In addition, right click the desktop icon for 3.0/3.0.2, select and apply Run As Administrator.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: How to convert a PrE 3.0 project to PrE 9.0
                richardg1208378 Level 1

A.T.

Thanks again for your response.  I have PrE 3.02, an active Internet connection and Quicktime installed on my new laptop.  I am out of town until tomorrow, so I have to wait to get my original disk before attempting a reinstall as you have suggested.  In the meantime, I found that I had saved the activation code for the MPEG-2 component, so I am over that hurdle.  However, now a dialog box appears saying that I need to activate the MP3 component.  The serial number does not show in the box and clicking the web link goes to the same screen that says that Adobe no longer supports activation codes for the older products.  Even if I had an activation code, it would not let me enter it, I am guessing because the serial number isn't there.  Even though I have the serial number, it won't let me enter that in the appropriate box.  If PrE 9.0 would open the 3.0 project, then I would be fine.  I am not sure why there is not support for backwards compatibility.  There is a lot of legacy stuff out there that need to be maintained.

Any thoughts on how to get the MP3 component activated?

Rick

• 5. Re: How to convert a PrE 3.0 project to PrE 9.0
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Rick

Thanks for the reply.

I am hoping that the uninstall/ccleaner/reinstall will take care of all the first time one time activations as they present after the program activation.

How about this...if mp3 activation continues to be an issue, can you convert your audio to wav version or other version with iTunes or other music format converter?

iTunes: How to convert a song to a different file format - Apple Support

Did you actually get beyond the MPEG2 component activation issue or did you just find a saved activation code for MPEG2 component?

ATR

• 6. Re: How to convert a PrE 3.0 project to PrE 9.0
                    richardg1208378 Level 1

A.T.

I will give it a try to change the audio to a .wav file if the reinstall doesn't work. The MPEG-2 activation actually worked, but I can't seem to get past the MP3 activation.

RIck