• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I am wanting to set up a website with Muse and host through BC....

Participant ,
Apr 12, 2015 Apr 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But, I am a little leery of the huge handle .businesscatalyst.com! 

So, for instance I am thinking of the business name SOHO Solutions - so would I tell someone looking for my site that it is www.sohosolutions.businesscatalyst.com??

Thanks for your help!

Lorie

TOPICS
Newbie Corner

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lorie,

That would be your development domain. When you go live with your site you need to by a domain from a domain registra and set that up. Google "Going live business catalyst" and you will find lots of info on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh okay....  so it is just like a practise site then...  the name chosen when set up really doesn't mean anything.  I would need to go to GoDaddy for example to purchase a domain name?

Thank you for answering!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a practise site as such, it could become your actual site. Think "Development URL" - Its a url so you can access the site.

If you take payments or have eCommerce on a BC site that name also becomes the secure URL - sohosolutions.worldsecuresystems.com

As a note in terms of domains... when you have a subdomain like sohosolutions.businesscatalyst.com there is no www.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Liam,

I am still confused though....  I thought with my Adobe Creative Suite I could have a site without going somewhere else, but that is just hosting, not the actual site name.  I want to use a name associated with SOHO, because it to me means Small Office/Home Office, but I am not sure I can have it as it is pretty much taken, so I was just fooling around seeing what was available with BS and when I typed in soho solutions it came up as available.  So, tell me this.  If someone was to ask me what my website was what would I tell them.  You say no www - so I am lost.

Lorie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hosting or something like BC(which is more then just hosting) IS like your house. But how do you find a house? The address.

The domain is your address and you need to buy that and set that up to point to your house. So anyone on the web that goes to your address goes to your house.

That make sense?

The name/domain you set up in BC is a subdomain of businesscatalyst.com, It is just a URL so you can view and work on your site. But you will need to go to someone like Godaddy to buy a domain and point it to your BC website.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=business+catalyst+go+live&oq=business+catalyst+go+live&aqs=chrome...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 28, 2015 May 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To use the house analogy:

The sohosolutions.businesscatalyst.com is like the frame of your house. It works and holds your website but you don't want people to see it in this state. It's like an unfinished house with no paint.

So what you'll need to do is to go buy a domain name (for example sohosolutions.com) on Go Daddy or wherever you want and this will be like the "paint" on the outside walls of your house The domain name is simply a kind of cover that will hide the sohosolutions.businesscatalyst.com. Once you will purchase your domain name, you will be able to point it to "hide" the sohosolutions.businesscatalyst.com in the "domain settings" of your Adobe Business Catalyst. Then you can proudly tell people to go visit sohosolutions.com!

You can always use the sohosolutions.businesscatalyst.com and share this with your clients, but it would look nicer if you'd get the domain name sohosolutions.com!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines