4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2015 2:17 PM by snowpeakphotos

making metatada filenames case insensitive

snowpeakphotos

Running Mac Pro OSX 10.9.5 and Lightroom 5.7. When I "Read Metadata from files", Lightroom won't read metadata files when the suffix is .XMP but will read the same file when I make the suffix lower case: .xmp. How can I fix this problem?Metadata

• 1. Re: making metatada filenames case insensitive
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

In LR, select the problem photo and do right-click Show In Finder.  In the Finder, keep doing Go > Show Enclosing Folder until the containing volume is displayed (e.g. Macintosh HD).   Select that volume and do File > Get Info.  In the info window, what is the exact Format? E.g.

Untitled.png

• 2. Re: making metatada filenames case insensitive
            snowpeakphotos Level 1

The format is "Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive,Journaled)"

Does this lead to a solution of the problem? Thanks for helping, BTW!

John

On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 2:05 PM, johnrellis <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 3. Re: making metatada filenames case insensitive
              johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

That's the cause of the problem -- the volume on which the photo is stored is formatted as case-sensitive.  

As a practical matter, LR, like many Mac applications, doesn't seem to like case-sensitive volumes, and LR is schizophrenic about filename case.  The requirements state that it must be installed on a case-insensitive volume but don't say anything about photos stored on case-sensitive volumes.  On the other hand, there have been a number of bugs reported where LR doesn't properly recognize differences in filename case on volumes that are case-insensitive. 

I know of no official position by Adobe on whether LR supports case-sensitive volumes for photo storage. But given the past experience with numerous bugs around case-sensitivity, as a practical matter I think it's safest to avoid them.

I think you have two choices going forward:

- Make sure all your sidecars end in ".xmp".

- Convert the volume to case-insensitive.  A Google for "os x convert to case-insensitive" shows some third-party solutions for doing that (of quality unknown to me).

• 4. Re: making metatada filenames case insensitive
                snowpeakphotos Level 1

Thank you so much!

On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 3:13 PM, johnrellis <forums_noreply@adobe.com>