8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2015 4:18 AM by Geoff the kiwi

Raw corruption on Import?

085SS

Hi,

I currently use a Nikon D800 and only shoot in Raw format. I have downloaded and I am using Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop cc less than a week old.

Upon importing the files into Lightroom it immediately corrupts them and causes an error. Considering this is my business I am pretty pissed off right now. Can you add any feedback into why your software isn't co-operating as it should and how to fix this?

Kind Regards,

Steven

• 1. Re: Raw corruption on Import?
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Lightroom doesn't touch your images during import or at any other time. It is a Non-Destructive editor and never makes changes to the original file. The only time the changes, edits, you make to any file in LR are incorporated is when you Export the image to some other format. JPG, TIF or send the file to Photoshop or some other external editor.

If you are a Pro photographer then you have some other editor you were using. What happens when you open those images in that other editor? What happens if you try to open those images in Photoshop? What happens if you Copy newer images directly from the camera's memory card to your hard drive and open them in whatever editor you were using before you tried Lightroom?

• 2. Re: Raw corruption on Import?
            085SS Level 1

I use to use the older version of Lightroom and Photoshop CS6 without issue. Thought I'd splurge and upgrade and these are the first batch that i've tried to import and suddenly they are corrupted? I always save to the NEF's to my hard drive first before importing cause I prefer to work that way.

• 3. Re: Raw corruption on Import?
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Ok so if you use Bridge and ACR can you open/view/edit those NEF files? Have you tried a different memory card in the camera, taken some shots and copied those to your computer and then imported them into the newer LR? Sounds more like a memory card problem. As stated before LR doesn't touch your image during import. In fact it doesn't do anything to them at all except enter them into the LR catalog which is just a Database of where the images are located on your drive and make a Preview file/files of the image/images in a completely different folder.

• 4. Re: Raw corruption on Import?
                DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

Quote "Upon importing the files into Lightroom it immediately corrupts them and causes an error."

If you are getting an error message could you quote it exactly or if possible post a screen capture.

• 5. Re: Raw corruption on Import?
                  085SS Level 1

I have been advised to re-install lightroom 5 again. If it doesn't fix the issue, I will attempt a screen capture for you to show what it looks like. They are recognised as nef files in bridge but don't show anything, and it wont open using photoshop directly, but I have never been able to do that.

• 6. Re: Raw corruption on Import?
                    085SS Level 1

Untitled-1.jpg

This is what is showing up

• 7. Re: Raw corruption on Import?
                      DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

You have probably used an older version of Nikon software to download the nef files to your computer which has made changes to the file and caused them to be unreadable by Lightroom and ACR.

Try using a card reader to download the files using Lightroom.

• 8. Re: Raw corruption on Import?
                        Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

So how did you download these files?

What Denis has suggested (old Nikon software) is a most likely cause. It can be remedied though..

Look here: http://owl.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/fix_corrupted_nef.html