7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2015 5:09 PM by trshaner

Import speed is UNBELIEVABLY slow!

Geoffreyd

I have converted to LR5 as part of the creative cloud because Apple has chosen to abandon its professional level cataloging and editing software. No big deal, I was planning on moving to LR anyway because of its powerful tools, integration and workflow. So, I have been moving the projects I have from the Aperture library slowly but surely to my LR catalogue. I have also been importing all of my new shoots directly into LR. Last night when I tried to import 177 pictures, about 4GB, it just hung! All the previews popped up like normal and the slow down started when I clicked import. I waited about 1 hour and only 5 pictures were copied and added to the catalogue. I have never had to wait this long so I started trouble shooting. I canceled the import and thought maybe it is the card or the card reader. Closed LR and rebooted the MAC. Once I had restarted the computer I thought that maybe the card was going bad even though it is only 2 months old and about 4000 pictures shot on it. BTW I format the card after each copy and import. So I copied the card directly through the finder and the reader and card only took about 5 min to copy 4GB. I copied to both the SSD and an external HD backup which is part of my workflow. I then tried to copy and catalogue the card again. Also I tried directly from the Drives.  NO DICE! By this time it was late. I was curious how long it would take, so started the import and went to bed. Much to my surprise 8 hours later only 70 pictures, about 1.5Gb of data transferred. Help! I really love this software. Finally none of my setting have changed. Still building minimal previews and no added presets or additional corrections upon import.

Thank you in advance.

AG

• 1. Re: Import speed is UNBELIEVABLY slow!
          trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you using LR5.7.1 the latest version?

• 2. Re: Import speed is UNBELIEVABLY slow!
            Geoffreyd Level 1

Yes. I have updated all apps. It did finally copy all files but took 24 hours to do 4gb about 180 pics.  Now since my last import I did some camera Auto focus fine tuning could this be it? No problems copying or importing to Aperture, I tried. Took about 5 min to copy into Aperture using RAW files.

• 3. Re: Import speed is UNBELIEVABLY slow!
              dj_paige Level 9

Although I agree that this sounds like an outrageously long time to import these photos, please remember that Lightroom isn't just copying the photo to the hard disk, as your operating system is doing. Lightroom also has to create previews of the images, and if you have a very slow computer and these are very large RAW files and you ask for 1:1 previews, this is going to take a lot longer than simply copying the photos using your operating system.

So, while I don't believe it should take 24 hours, it would still be helpful if you could do some trouble-shooting and request minimal previews and import the photos again (into a new catalog) and see how long that takes. Also, please state how fast your CPU is, and what the size of one of the photos is in megapixels (please don't tell me megabytes, that is useless information here)

• 4. Re: Import speed is UNBELIEVABLY slow!
                Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That sounds like there is a real problem here. Import times that slow are quite abnormal. Good to check all your hardware indeed. Does it do this too with a fresh empty catalog? Do you have enough free space on your drive? Check in the Apple menu->About This Mac->More Info->Storage. Are you running any anti-virus software? Is your computer spinning its fans when it is doing this? Check "activity monitor" (just type it in the search thingy in the menu bar) and set it to "all processes" (view menu). Any process taking up close or over 100% CPU? Have you checked your hard drives for errors using Disk Utility?

Last, do you possibly have Lightroom set to generate 1:1 or smart previews? That might cause it to be working really hard for hours after a very large import. When that happens, Lightroom should show up as >100% CPU in the activity monitor and will likely not prioritize new imports for a while.

• 5. Re: Import speed is UNBELIEVABLY slow!

Jao vdL wrote:

Last, do you possibly have Lightroom set to generate 1:1 or smart previews? That might cause it to be working really hard for hours after a very large import.

Here's what the OP said, "It did finally copy all files but took 24 hours to do 4gb about 180 pics." Some simple math (24 hrs x 60) ÷ 180 pics = 8.0 Minutes per picture to import and build the 1:1 preview.

4GB ÷ 180 pics = 22.2MB file size should take no longer than 2.0 sec. to write to HDD and perhaps 10-20 seconds to build the 1:1 preview with a slow CPU.

(2.0+20 sec) x 180 pics = 66 minutes Total

Along with CPU spec on your system please provide memory amount (4GB, 8GB), OS you are running and if it is 32 bit or 64 bit.

• 6. Re: Import speed is UNBELIEVABLY slow!
                    Geoffreyd Level 1

Let me begin by saying Thank You to all that helped with my problem.  After reading all of your comments and taking a step back, to see the forest from the trees, I resolved what was taking up so much time. I reviewed every setting making sure there wasn't anything that I may have missed.

We all know that you haven't lived until you have lost something that is irreplaceable like an important photo. That being said the reason, or at least my current fix is making sure there is enough storage on my secondary copy(backup). I have every import set up to go to one drive that is separate from my back up. Wouldn't you know it by back up drive was full and that was hanging up the import process. Once there was enough storage space my import was like it once was.

Thank you all again,

AG

• 7. Re: Import speed is UNBELIEVABLY slow!

It's my understanding that when Importing if the destination disk is full you will get a "low on disk space" error message. It may very well be the drive is fragmented, but had sufficient space free space. I'm not a Mac user, but on Windows my suggestion would be to empty the Recycle Bin (Mac Trash) and defragment the drive. It's also a good idea to keep ~10% minimum free space on a hard drive. You'll need that much to run a defrag. SSDs do not have this constraint and do not need to be defragmented. Just an FYI.