17 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2015 6:43 AM by larryb49389842

How can I de-activate LR for a re-installation?

larryb49389842

How Can I de-activate LR so I can do a re-install?

• 1. Re: How can I de-activate LR for a re-installation?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can't because there isn't any deactivation process. Simply reinstall the program. That's all there is to it.

• 2. Re: How can I de-activate LR for a re-installation?
            obsidiane82719681 Level 1

isn't there a limit on the number of computers LR5 can be installed on?

• 3. Re: How can I de-activate LR for a re-installation?
              Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The license (if it is a permanent license) says that you can only have it on two, but there is nothing physically preventing you from installing it on however many you want. If you are decommissioning an old computer that you won't use anymore, just drag the app into the trash on that machine and you'll have deinstalled it, or wipe the hard disk which you should do anyway if you are giving it to somebody else. If you have a CC license, you can also install it on multiple machines. It will simply only work on the machine that you are logged onto the creative cloud app with as with CC it is tied to your Adobe username/password and it will simply only run on the machine you last logged in with.

• 4. Re: How can I de-activate LR for a re-installation?
                dj_paige Level 9

Jao vdL wrote:

The license (if it is a permanent license) says that you can only have it on two ...

There is no limit to the number of computers you can install LR5 on. However, to offer a tiny clarification to Jao vdL's answer, there is a limit that you can have your Lightroom license installed on at most two computers SIMULTANEOUSLY.

If you install it on two, then uninstall it on those two, and install it on two more, that's four computers it was installed on, but never more than two simultaneously, and so you have complied with both the spirit and letter of the license.

• 5. Re: How can I de-activate LR for a re-installation?

I was wondering because i installed it on two profiles on mac and on the second profile i had to retype in the the product key and re-register, other software doesn't ask for that they just work.

• 6. Re: How can I de-activate LR for a re-installation?

Do two profiles on the same mac classify as two computers, even if both profiles are mine?

• 7. Re: How can I de-activate LR for a re-installation?
                      dj_paige Level 9

Well, I haven't read the license terms that carefully to know the answer, but you can read the license carefully and find out yourself and let us all know.

• 8. Re: How can I de-activate LR for a re-installation?

i was under the impression this was a discussion, so why would i do something that annoying...

• 9. Re: How can I de-activate LR for a re-installation?

As I understand it, they count as one installation as long as you don't run them in both accounts simultaneously for two different people. IANAL so don't rely on it but if it is just one physical copy of Lightroom on that machine only used by one person at a time I don't think there is an issue.

• 10. Re: How can I de-activate LR for a re-installation?

But caveats apply as taking what is essentially legal advice from a random person on the internet is never a good idea.

P.S. the reason why Lightroom asks for the activation code again is that nowadays it stores the code in a file in the user account. Earlier versions of Lightroom would activate system wide. I do not know why they changed this.

• 11. Re: How can I de-activate LR for a re-installation?
                              Joshua Cohen Level 3

I don't think it's possible to actually run LR on two accounts at the same time. Even if LR were running and you switched accounts and ran it in the other it would be a stretch to claim they are both running. I don't think anyone if monitoring so closely regardless of the wording of the license.

obsidiane82719681 wrote:

i was under the impression this was a discussion, so why would i do something that annoying...

We are all users like you. In order to be absolutely clear someone has to carefully read the license. By starting this thread it would seem that you are the one interested in these particular aspects of the license so why wouldn't it be you that has to endure the annoying task of reading it. Once you have done so, you could spare the rest of us similar agony by sharing what you find.

• 12. Re: How can I de-activate LR for a re-installation?

I understand what you said, but i didn't start the thread, Dj was just being irate and not helpful, it was a simple question if you know the answer of the top of your head fine otherwise no need for such a reply. I don't personally care about reading some legal document to find the answer to a question asked in passing.

• 13. Re: How can I de-activate LR for a re-installation?

mac won't allow you to be logged in to both, you log out of one and into the other. I think they seriously consider two profiles on single computer two instals otherwise i wouldn't have had to type the serial in twice.

• 14. Re: How can I de-activate LR for a re-installation?

mac won't allow you to be logged in to both, you log out of one and into the other. I think they seriously consider two profiles on single computer two instals otherwise i wouldn't have had to type the serial in twice.

It's actually not so hard to do. If you enable Fast User switching in Users and Groups->Login Options, you can log on simultaneously with two users. I haven't tried if it will allow you to run two instances of Lightroom simultaneously but it should probably work correctly as long as they have different catalog files open. The license refers to copies of the program and about a primary user (you). Even if you use two different log-on profiles, you still only have a single copy of Lightroom on that computer and as long as you are the primary user, you are fine I guess. The license also allows you to install a second copy on another computer for your use as long as you are the primary user and it allows you to make archival copies with which they mean backups I guess.

The reason for storing the license number under the user account probably has more to do with this making it easier to move your Lightroom to a new machine if you use Apple's migration assistant. This will bring over the license automatically if it is stored in the user profile that you are migrating over. This would not necessarily happen when it is stored in a system area. The overwhelming majority of users (probably >99%) only uses a single logon on their machines, so I doubt there was much thought given to this.

• 15. Re: How can I de-activate LR for a re-installation?

Just tried it it runs two separate instances of Lightroom, but i did install the key twice. If the licence refers to copies of the program then i think two separate profiles would constitute two separate installs, if they don't specify how many installs on the same computer then it should mean as much as you want if they only refer to how many physical computers it is installed on, but i haven't tried more than two profiles.

• 16. Re: How can I de-activate LR for a re-installation?
                                        DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

The Lightroom License Key is a single owner / user license for their personal use. It allows the owner/user to install on two computers for their own personal use with only one in use at any point in time.

There is no deactivate process so you can uninstall from one and install on another as many times as is necessary. There is no provision for two users.

• 17. Re: How can I de-activate LR for a re-installation?
                                          larryb49389842 Level 1

Thanks for the information.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone