2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2015 11:57 AM by D Fosse

Why will Lightroom photos not launch into Photoshop CC?

conniem11949765

I just started Creative Cloud Lightroom and PhotoshopCC.  When I try to move Lightroom 5 photos into Photoshop I get a message that says "The file could not be edited because Photoshop CC 2014 could not be launched."  Even though I go to "photo" header in Lightroom and scroll to "edit in Photoshop CC 2014" it launches into my old Photoshop 4; I deleted Photoshop 4 but photos still won't go to Photoshop CC 2014.  Frustrating. Would appreciate some suggestions.  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Why will Lightroom photos not launch into Photoshop CC?
          99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would suggest you uninstall LR5

Re-launch Creative Cloud and it should refresh

Go to the Apps tab and click the install button for Lightroom 5

It should then automatically recognize that PS CC 2014 is already installed.

• 2. Re: Why will Lightroom photos not launch into Photoshop CC?
            D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I suspect the problem is with Photoshop, not Lightroom. Uninstalling older versions of Photoshop after installing a newer one is known to potentially cause a lot of grief in some cases.

What happens is that the old version takes a lot of registry settings with it on the way out - leaving behind empty pointers to itself rather than the newer versions which it is not aware of. Lost file associations is a classic.

Sometimes these pointers can be re-established easily, but in other cases a full uninstall/reinstall is needed, perhaps with a run of the CC cleaner tool tossed in to clean the slate. Or, if you have the stomach for it - manually editing the registry. But then you should know your way around and backup as you go.

With Photoshop, the safe procedure is to always uninstall in strict reverse version order, then reinstall the newer version.