1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 20, 2015 2:13 PM by Szalam

Is This A Bug?

Big Al 3D

This issue has come back to bite me several times. There seems to be a mostly random issues in AE CC 13.113 and earlier when I have a video clip and adjust the Opacity down to any value really, but let's say 30% over white to get a nice washed-out background texture. Many times upon rendering the comp out, not only will that clip not be screened back but will actually render out darker. Like I had added curves filter, grabbed the top point and dragged it down taking much of the lightness down with it. Now that I look at it, it's doing the opposite effect of the Opacity setting.  This happens all the time, but only when rendering out to a file. It happens in the AE render queue, it happens even more in Media Encoder. One project I had to export the spot completely uncompressed, then reexport into ProRes 1080i. Also happens when I use the Vimeo preset which creates an h.264 MP4 file. I was thinking it was just the ProRes codec, but it happens with others too.

I just did a render of this same project, but instead of using opacity, I used the curves filter and it rendered as expected. On this issue, is it a problem just relying on the comp's background being white as opposed to using a white matte as the background? Just curious.

Thanks for any insight into this annoying problem.

• 1. Re: Is This A Bug?
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Big Al 3D wrote:

I just did a render of this same project, but instead of using opacity, I used the curves filter and it rendered as expected. On this issue, is it a problem just relying on the comp's background being white as opposed to using a white matte as the background? Just curious.

Try putting a white solid back there and see how it looks. My guess is that it behaves more as you expect with an actual white solid back there.