8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2015 7:43 PM by photo-enthusiast

importing from Aperture

Pets73

why doesn't it say anywhere on the whole internet that a large image library is considered over a certain amount(10k??) of images??

Why doesn't it say ANYwhere that you must be prepared to keep your computer and external harddrive on for 2 WEEKS if you wish to use the Aperture importer plugin??

I am now STUCK importing what I considered to be a normal sized library, 265 GB, 40,000 or so images, at some kind of snail's pace. The whole process is SO infuriating - and I don't even know what size image or preview it's importing or what data it's bringing with it.

This is doing my head in.

Anyone know what the default settings are?

Anyone else waited two weeks for the import and found it was all ok in the end? I don't know what to do. I just wish, after spending 4 days researching this and thinking it would all be a smooth operation, that any of those blogs or instructions had warned that the plugin takes this long and that transferring your photos from Aperture - (which some of us only bought last year for God knows how much, GREEDY Apple!) would be a complete NIGHTMARE!!

• 1. Re: importing from Aperture
          john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It shouldn't take nearly that long. Did you go into the Options and choose to leave "referenced" photos in their existing locations? If no, the plugin is copying your files. Is Aperture "managing" your photos? If yes, the plugin is copying your files. So is disc space/speed the issue?

See Moving from Aperture to Lightroom for some more suggestions, including the log file which might reveal the problem, or doing the migration exercise  the older manual way.

• 2. Re: importing from Aperture
            Pets73 Level 1

Yes I want to move my master files to an external hard drive so i am asking it to copy the images.

Yes Aperture was/is managing them, there are no referenced.

Disk space is not an issue as I had 750GB free on my external drive, and my library is 265GB. On my main mac drive there is about 100GB free.

What if I was to interrupt the process? Would I end up with a total mess, because I wouldnt know what LR has imported and what it hasn't. Plus, it hasnt got around to the process of sorting them into my original structure yet, so the ones that have arrived in LR are useless...

Doing it manually would be a complete and utter nightmare becuase I only ever have an hour at a time (got toddlers)!

I have no idea also how to break it down into smaller libraries which I could then export...

• 3. Re: importing from Aperture
              Pets73 Level 1

PS: I am on 18% still and I pressed import late on Saturday night, it's now Tuesday morning.

I am really worried my external hard drive will burn out!

• 4. Re: importing from Aperture
                Pets73 Level 1

Is the IPTC data the stuff that goes with each photo like date and lenses used etc?

The darn plugin started working before I had a chance to press the Options button so I have no idea what settings it has. What are the defaults? I presume the essential data is coming with each photo and that the best quality images are being imported.

This kind of site is helpful to a point but really I need tailored information for my situation. The point is the plugin is already underway importing so I can't do anything at the moment. I need to know whether I should wait / abandon / how to get my ***images into LIGHT ROOM!! at this rate I'll just go back to using Finder and Bridge!

http://lightroomsolutions.com/articles/migrating-from-aperture-to-lightroom-where-do-i-beg in/

• 5. Re: importing from Aperture
                  john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Pets73 wrote:

Yes I want to move my master files to an external hard drive so i am asking it to copy the images.

Yes Aperture was/is managing them, there are no referenced.

Disk space is not an issue as I had 750GB free on my external drive, and my library is 265GB. On my main mac drive there is about 100GB free.

What if I was to interrupt the process? Would I end up with a total mess, because I wouldnt know what LR has imported and what it hasn't. Plus, it hasnt got around to the process of sorting them into my original structure yet, so the ones that have arrived in LR are useless...

I'm not near my Mac right now, and I just can't recall if it's possible to choose an alternative destination for the copied files.

But in Finder look for a Lightroom Masters folder under Pictures. By default this is where the plugin copies files, so has this default copying already filled up the internal drive? I wonder if this is the problem.

If you interrupt the process, the copies will be in Lightroom Masters and referenced in LR. You could simply delete this entire folder in Finder, and then remove that folder from LR.

• 6. Re: importing from Aperture
                    AlexQTI

I'm having a similar problem - importing about 170,000 photos from Aperture, leaving all the referenced files in their existing locations.

Its been 16 days already, and now at 48%. Its getting slower and slower. Its now taking more than a day to do 1%, and I am on a fairly new Mac Pro.

Any suggestions / advice?

Many thanks in advance.

• 7. Re: importing from Aperture
                      photo-enthusiast Level 1

Did you have success?  I have a Mac Pro with 32GB of RAM.  It stalled out.  Installed OSX 10.9.4 on a new partition, based on some obscure reference in the forums.  I had tried everything else.  That worked.