7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2015 12:45 PM by ssprengel

Camera Profile

Petrula Level 1

Creative Cloud 2014

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

XRite Color Checker Passport

Nikon P7800

I create Camera Profiles (.DCP files) using XRite Color Checker Passport.

Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) looks for user generated Camera Profiles in folder

C:\Users\john\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles

Camera Calibration tab | Camera Profile

If I do not create a DCP profile for a shoot, the Camera Profile list does not have the default "Matrix" profile for the Nikon P7800. It shows a list of XRite Camera Profiles from my other shoots. Therefore, Camera Profile will use some XRite DCP as a profile no matter what even if you do not want that profile.

Why is the "Matrix" profile for the Nikon P7800 missing?

If I delete all the XRite DCP files in folder

ACR now shows the "Matrix" profile for the Nikon P7800 as a selection.

For some reason, it is missing "Vivid", etc..

I am not sure which folder ACR places the "Matrix" profile for a Nikon P7800.

In summary, If there is anything in folder

ACR does not also search in the default folder where default DCP files for the Nikon P7800 reside.

Why?

What should one do?

Having to use a XRite DCP not intended for that shoot (since "Matrix" is not available) makes no sense.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Camera Profile
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Matrix is what ACR uses if it can’t find any profile to use, so the symptoms you have suggest the Adobe-installed profiles aren’t there, anymore, or at least aren’t accessible to the ACR plug-in.

I’d suggest reinstalling the latest ACR 8.8 plug-in and see if that brings them back.  If you’re not allowed to do that then install the latest DNG Converter 8.8 which puts the profiles in the same location as the ACR plug-in installer would put them.  If it is a permissions problem then try running PS as Administrator by right-clicking on the shortcut and choosing that option, or modifying the properties of the shortcut to do that by default.

You can find the latest ACR installer at:

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html

And you can get the DNGC 8.8 from here:

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/

• 2. Re: Camera Profile
            Petrula Level 1

ACR 8.7.1.311

Thank you for the feedback.

The native ACR profiles are there. How do I know? When I delete the XRite DCP profiles in folder

the default ACR native "Matrix" profile for the Nikon P7800 appears in the Camera Profile listbox.

However, if I place a XRite DCP profile in

the default ACR native "Matrix" profile for the Nikon P7800 no longer appears in the Camera Profile listbox.

• 3. Re: Camera Profile

Matrix is not the "default" profile it is the "something is wrong and the profiles are missing" profile from before DNG Profiles were invented, the very old way of dealing with raw files from 10 years ago.  Adobe Standard is usually the default profile unless you've changed the default to one of the other Camera-match profiles.

The problem is that the Adobe-installed profiles are missing or inaccessible and you need to put them back or make them accessible by reinstalling ACR 8.8 or DNGC 8.8 using the links I included above, at least as a first attempt.

• 4. Re: Camera Profile
                Petrula Level 1

Thank you for the feedback.

Telling me that

'Matrix is not the "default" profile it is the "something is wrong and the profiles are missing" profile from before DNG Profiles were invented, the very old way of dealing with raw files from 10 years ago.'

really helped. The meaning of "Matrix" is now clear to me and why.

I re-installed the ACR from the link you gave.

I re-booted the computer.

ACR says version 8.7.1.311

If I look at Nikon D90 Camera Profiles, "Adobe Standard", "Camera Vivid", etc appear, and the XRite DNG profiles I generated appear. So far so good.

If I look at Nikon P7800 Camera Profiles, there is only "Matrix" which you said means ACR does not have Camera Profiles for the Nikon P7800. However, the list of supported cameras includes the Nikon P7800.

This sounds like Adobe forgot to include the Nikon P7800 Camera Profiles.

I called Adobe Technical Support.

Adobe downloaded my RAW Nikon P7800 file.

He verified the problem on his end of only seeing the Camera Profile called "Matrix".

He said there is an existing ticket on the issue with the Senior Technical Support.

Unclear when it will be fixed.

• 5. Re: Camera Profile

I agree that the Nikon Coolpix P7800 camera profile seems to be missing from ACR 8.3, when raws from the camera were first supported, until now with ACR 8.8.

I wouldn't expect anything to be fixed until the next version of ACR is released assuming there is still a little time before then.

The one secondary issue that still remains is that you say you've installed ACR 8.8 yet you report ACR 8.7.1 is the current version.  This doesn't seem right.  Perhaps you merely installed the DNG Converter 8.8?  I haven't heard of anyone with PS-CC 2014 saying they couldn't install ACR 8.8.  In fact the CC Desktop Manager app should have checked for an update and already offered to download and install it for you a week or two, ago.  If this has not happened perhaps your update-check frequency is too infrequent or you've turned off ACR updates in the Adobe Application Manager or something.

• 6. Re: Camera Profile
                    Petrula Level 1

You are correct. I goofed.

I installed the Adobe DNG Converter 8.8 - incorrectly thinking it included the ACR.

It is unclear why the following page does not have CameraRaw_8_8?

Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter for Windows

The title of the page would indicate it should include all the ACR downloads.

I went to the page you first suggested for the latest ACR installer at:

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html

After installing "CameraRaw_8_8.exe", "About ACR" now shows the correct version 8.8.0.397.

Bye-the-way, I am unclear what the difference is between "CC Desktop Manager app" and Adobe Creative Cloud application. I thought the Adobe Creative Cloud application replaced the "CC Desktop Manager app"? Adobe Creative Cloud appears as "CreativeCloud.exe" in the Task Manager i.e. is just an ordinary EXE.

Further question - As expected ACR does not appear as an APP in the Creative Cloud application list since it is a plug-in. If the ACR is out of date, am I correct in assuming that the Creative Cloud application will say Photoshop is "up to date" since the Creative Cloud application does not look at plug-in dates. However, if the Creative Cloud application says Photoshop has an "update", the update will include the latest ACR plug-in.

Do you have any idea where Adobe stores the native Camera Profiles for each camera?

Thanks again for your feedback.

• 7. Re: Camera Profile

The webpage title includes ACR and DNGC because before cloud-licensing, during CS6 or maybe CS5.5, you could actually download the ACR plug-in update from the page as well as the DNG Converter.  Once cloud licensing started Adobe tried to control things a little more and make things easier so stopped posting update links to the plug-in.   Only very recently did Adobe make a HelpX page that has links to the most current ACR plug-in installer executable.  Prior to that the link to the most recent update was only on an Adobe blog.

--

The ACR plug-in is included in the things that Adobe will notify you about when they are updated.  Restarting your computer or at least logging out and restarting the CCDM should check for and notify you of an ACR update.  Doing Help / Updates from PS should start up the AAM and also notify you of any updates.

I refer to the CC application as the CC Desktop manager app because the term Creative Cloud means so many things, so your two terms would be referring to the same thing.  There is also the Adobe Application Manger (AAM) that is the old UI to what seems to be the same thing.  And if you go to the notification preferences in the AAM you'll see ACR as a separate item.

--

As far as where Adobe stores the Camera Profiles (and Lens Profiles) they ship with their products, on Windows, those are under:

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw

I am less sure where these are on the Mac since I only have a PC.