5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2007 2:16 PM by Newsgroup_User

goto scene2 - please help with script!

ulalume Level 1
      Sorry guys, but I am new to Flash and I have a horrible teacher who isn't able to explain this well. I have 2 scenes. I have a button in scene 1 that I would like to link to scene 2. Can anyone please help? I tried several versions gotoandstop ("scene2"); gotoandstop ("2", 1), I just don't know anymore! I am using MX 2004. At school we have Flash 8 and it has a help area for actions, but I can't find it in my MX version (it lets you type in Scene, Frame type -label, number, etc.) Do you know how I can turn this on? Thanks!!
        • 1. Re: goto scene2 - please help with script!
          Level 7
          ulalume,

> Can anyone please help? I tried several versions gotoandstop
          > ("scene2"); gotoandstop ("2", 1), I just don't know anymore!

Your best bet -- and this is going to help you more than your teacher,
          if he or she really is horrible (this will even help you more than Script
          Assist) -- is to roll up your sleeves and brave ... are you ready for it?
          ... the ActionScript 2.0 Language Reference. It's not a perfect document,
          but it's truly the very best place to look first. I don't know why people
          seem to shy away from it. Yes, it's a big huge tome, but it really isn't
          that hard to read once you know a few basics.

Basic tip #1: everything in ActionScript can be described as an object.
          Objects are defined by something called classes, which define an object's
          properties (characteristics), methods (things it can do), and events (things
          it can react to). Whatever you're dealing with, take a breath, stop and
          think, "What sort of object am I dealing with?" In this case, you're
          dealing with a movie clip. Why? Because the main timeline itself is a
          movie clip. (In this case, this point is the only thing that may not make
          sense immediately.) Look up the "MovieClip class" entry of the ActionScript
          2.0 Language Reference, and you'll find a gotoAndStop() method (a thing this
          object, the main timeline, can do). It shows you the capitalization you'll
          need -- gotoAndStop, rather than gotoandstop -- as well as the parameters
          that are accepted by this method, such as what frame or frame label you can
          send it to.

Basic tip #2: the ActionScript 2.0 Language Reference is largely
          organized around classes, so think in terms of classes and you're good.

Basic tip #3: Flash has a long history and hasn't always been as
          object-oriented as it is now. In many cases, there are stand-alone
          functions that correspond -- or nearly correspond -- to methods. Look
          carefully, and you'll also find a gotoAndStop() function that is different
          from the MovieClip.gotoAndStop() method. Personally, I recommend against
          the stand-alone functions, as they're a historical hold-over, but ultimately
          the choice is yours.

> I am using MX 2004. At school we have Flash 8 and it has
          > a help area for actions, but I can't find it in my MX version
          > (it lets you type in Scene, Frame type -label, number, etc.) Do
          > you know how I can turn this on? Thanks!!

Flash MX had this and it was called Normal Mode (versus Expert Mode).
          Flash MX 2004 dropped this feature. There was much uproar, and it was
          brought back in Flash 8 as Script Assist, which is slightly different, but
          close enough. My personal opinion is that this feature ultimately hurts
          you, because it keeps you from having to actually learn how to code. It can
          only take you so far, and when you eventually want to "break out" and try
          something a bit different, you'll be lost without it. I'm not saying it's a
          bad feature, any more than training wheels are a bad feature for someone
          learning to ride a bike. It's just that there's a time to let it go ... and
          many people don't, for some reason.

See if these articles will help get you grounded, a bit.

http://www.quip.net/blog/2006/flash/actionscript-20/ojects-building-blocks
          http://www.quip.net/blog/2006/flash/tackling-the-actionscript-20-language-reference
          http://www.quip.net/blog/2006/flash/debugging-actionscript

David Stiller
          Adobe Community Expert
          Dev blog, http://www.quip.net/blog/
          "Luck is the residue of good design."

• 2. Re: goto scene2 - please help with script!
            cokefour
            click on the script assist button in the actions pallette
            • 3. Re: goto scene2 - please help with script!
              Ldavinci
              ...try the behavior panel...its the easy way...
              • 4. Re: goto scene2 - please help with script!
                Level 7
                Ldavinci,

> ...try the behavior panel...its the easy way...

Yes and no. It's the easy way, but has the potential to box you in. My
                two cents. ;)

David Stiller
                Adobe Community Expert

• 5. Re: goto scene2 - please help with script!
                  Level 7
                  cokefour,

> click on the script assist button in the actions pallette

There's no such feature in Flash MX 2004. What was once Normal Mode was
                  dropped in that version, then re-surfaced as Script Assist in Flash 8.

David Stiller
                  Adobe Community Expert