2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2015 5:44 PM by Bill Gehrke

New Editing Laptop

YourAvgBear

I'm looking to get into some photo and video editing but my laptop I have right now just isn't going to cut it. I've considered building a pc but I really would like a laptop that I can use for school too. I'm planning on mostly using After Effects, Premiere, and Photoshop. Right now, I'm thinking about getting the Lenovo Y50  Lenovo Y50 Laptop | 15.6" High-Performance Gaming Notebook PC | Lenovo US

These are the specs:

-4th Generation Intel Core i7-4720HQ Processor (2.60GHz 1600MHz 6MB)

-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 4GB

-16 GB RAM

I know this isn't going to have mind blowing performance, but I can't spend a ton of money. From what I've read so far it seems to have pretty good reviews. Based on the specs what do you think I could expect? Would you recommend this computer and if not is there anything you would recommend around this price point? Thank you!

• 2. Re: New Editing Laptop
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Generally OK but the single 5400 rpm hard drive makes it totally useless.

Edit by Bill

If you are handy with computers and can find any upgrade information on the upgradability of the computer you might be able to clone the hard disk to a SSD drive (It would have to a good one like a Samsung 850 Pro) and make a marginally acceptable Premiere Pro laptop.  You would also need a very high speed USB3 flash drive, good ones are hard to find.  I have my project file and the media on one and it is working great.

I just took a look at the specs for the Y50 and if you are ordering from Lenovo you have options

"Up to 1TB Hybrid SSHD with integrated 8 GB NAND flash or up to 512GB SSD"