7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2015 8:25 AM by A.T. Romano

How do I get Encoder Activation for Premier Elements 3.0?

M@rch15

I upgraded to Windows 7 on the same computer and now Adobe wants to rob me for an upgrade in order to activate the same software I've been using.

• 1. Re: How do I get Encoder Activation for Premier Elements 3.0?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Huh? How's that happening?

You should have no problems installing and running Premiere Elements 3.02 on Windows 7 -- though you may need to run it in compatibility mode. What is it you're not getting? (Though, after 11 years, you may be about due for some sort of software upgrade -- unless you're only editing miniDV.)

• 2. Re: How do I get Encoder Activation for Premier Elements 3.0?
            M@rch15 Level 1

When I go to burn the DVD, a window comes up telling me I need an Encoder Activation Code and gives me a link to their website.  When I go there, it tells me that version is no longer supported but I can get a discount for an upgrade.  I have my original activation code and I'm using the same computer, but that doesn't work.

• 3. Re: How do I get Encoder Activation for Premier Elements 3.0?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

M@rch15

There have been several recent threads where the user is trying to install Premiere Elements 3.0/3.0.2 on Windows 7 64 bit and has been running into MPEG2 Activation message. When the user follows the message to get the MPEG2 Activation, the end message says that the MPEG2 Activation is no longer supported by Adobe and your version. Is that the situation that you are in?

The MPEG2 Activation is one of those first time use/one time only activations that should go on behind the scenes when you have an active Internet connection. Is that the message that you are getting, and do you have a working Internet connection?

The following has worked for a few

1. If the program is installed in Control Panel/Programs, then uninstall it the usual way.

2. Do a free ccleaner run through (regular cleaner and registry cleaner) to get rid of leftovers from incomplete uninstalls/reinstalls

CCleaner - Download

3. Install Premiere Elements 3.0 with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled

4. Once Premiere Elements 3.0 is installed, then install the 3.0.2 Update with the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

Adobe - Premiere Elements : For Windows : Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0.2 update

Any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...You may want to include 5. Right click the Premiere Elements 3.0 desktop icon and select and apply Run As Administrator.

• 4. Re: How do I get Encoder Activation for Premier Elements 3.0?
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Also note that the Encoder Activation is NOT an Adobe product. It's provided by Main Concept, who apparently no longer offer the activation service.

So it's not Adobe holding your software hostage. It's simply the result of company's no longer offer support for very old versions of their products -- which few companies do.

• 5. Re: How do I get Encoder Activation for Premier Elements 3.0?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

M@rch15

The matter of the MPEG2 Encoder Activation in Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 and earlier is confusing.

Based on my observations on the matter, I am drawn to suspect that the issue is with the online line to Adobe MPEG2 Encoder Activation.

With Internet connection working, I can take Premiere Elements 2 which has never seen Windows 8.1 64 bit laptop and install it there and am able to export to MPEG2.mpg SD file or DVD-VIDEO standard on DVD disc. No signs of any MPEG2 Encoder Activation message. There are one or two "odd" things going on...new project dialog, cannot enter name for the new project...and an MPEG2.mpg exported from Premiere Elements 2.0 has serious problems getting imported into a new project. But, the Premiere Elements 2 MPEG2.mpg export and the DVD-VIDEO on DVD outputted by the project play back great on the computer players.

Consequently, I would encourage you to try the uninstall, free ccleaner, reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled to try to get back the function of your Premiere Elements 3.0/3.0.2.

ATR

Add On...One prior post on this type of problem

Why My Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0.2 can't burn Mpeg2 format?

ATR

• 6. Re: How do I get Encoder Activation for Premier Elements 3.0?
                    M@rch15 Level 1

I tried to uninstall PE 3.0.2 and ran into another problem.  When I do so, it takes out my CD/DVD drive.  The drive icon is missing from "computer" and when I go to the device manager, there is a yellow splotch on the drive.  When I go to re-install the drive, Windows tells me that I already have the latest driver.  The only way I can recover the drive is if I do a system restore which puts PE 3.0.2 back in.  Even worse, when I go to use PE 3.0.2, it gives me the error message that it "could not find any video play modules" and tells me to re-install the program.  Even after re-installation, I still get the same message. I would really like to get this software out of my system. Any thoughts?

• 7. Re: How do I get Encoder Activation for Premier Elements 3.0?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

M@rch

Thanks for the reply. Sorry that the news was not good.

To remove Premiere Elements 3.0/3.0.2 from you computer.....

If you see any signs of Premiere Elements 3.0/3.0.2 in Control Panel/Programs, then delete it the usual Control Panel way.

Then, do a free ccleaner run through (regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts) to get rid of leftovers from incomplete uninstalls/reinstalls.

CCleaner - Download

Piriform - CCleaner

Only if you are OK going into the registry, then consider a further step of picking out "Premiere Elements 3.0" leftovers if any.

Computer Start Button

In Search field,type in Run

In Run, type in regedit

When you get to the Registry Edit, go to Edit Menu/Find, and, in the Find dialog, type in Premiere Elements 3.0 in the Find What field. And, use the Find What and Find Next in the Find dialog to go through the registry to delete Premiere Elements 3.0 leftovers.

A last resort thought, if you have iTunes installed, we may need to consider that. Please see

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: Burner Location: No Burners Found

We will be watching for your results when your schedule permits.

ATR