5 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2017 11:50 AM by michaela59776367

How to export photos to new Photos App

billdokla

Any one know what the setting are to get LR to export to the new iPhoto app?

• 1. Re: How to export photos to new Photos App
          Joshua Cohen Level 3

I don't know much about Photos but I doubt there is a direct connection from Lightroom. They are competing products after all. I think you would have to first export from Lightroom and the bring the resulting exported image into Photos.

But why do you want to do this? What do you think Photos can do for you that Lightroom cannot?

• 2. Re: How to export photos to new Photos App
            billdokla Level 1

Well, there was a built in option to export from LR to iPhoto and there are many reasons to use iPhoto and especially the new Photos. Sharing is one big reason and storing them on the clouds the main reason. I said I didn't edit in iPhoto. I can export them to a folder and then drag it to Photos but i'm sure some one will post the setting to do this soon.

• 3. Re: How to export photos to new Photos App
              johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
              there was a built in option to export from LR to iPhoto

There was never such an option. A number of people have discussed various methods for getting pics from LR to iPhoto, all of which involve multiple steps.   Some of these methods use iPhoto's "auto import" to reduce the steps.  Unfortunately, the new Photos app doesn't appear to have "auto import".

Perhaps you were thinking of importing from iPhoto into LR?  There is a builtin command to do that.

i'm sure some one will post the setting to do this soon.

There is no such setting in LR.  Given that the Photos app doesn't have "auto import", it looks like you'll need to first export to a folder from LR and then manually import into Photos.

• 4. Re: How to export photos to new Photos App
                Joshua Cohen Level 3

billdokla wrote:

I said I didn't edit in iPhoto.

Actually you said no such thing. There's no reason to get snippy when folks are trying to help you. I had no idea what you were trying to do and just thought there might be a more simple way that didn't involve Photos. Getting access to the sharing and cloud features of Photos is something I don't think Lightroom can do. Maybe someone will someday write a plug in if such a thing is possible. But for now as John said you'll have to do it manually.

• 5. Re: How to export photos to new Photos App
                  michaela59776367

The best solution I've found so far is to use Hazel $32US, but not available from the AppStore.  You create a folder with Hazel that loads the images directly to Photos and then deletes the original. Then you make a Lightroom export preset which exports to that folder. Hazel does the work. It also works well for screen shots directly to Photos which is an option I think Apple should write into the OS.