8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2017 5:44 AM by nerosunero

how to merge books

sergioo88

Hello,

I prepared 2 books in LR5, with pictures in 2 separate folders.

Now, I would like to merge these 2 books into a single one, without reworking it manually.

How can I keep all the frames, order of the pictures, legends, etc of each book in a single one ?

Thanks for your advice !

Serge

• 1. Re: how to merge books
          scott.johnston

Has anyone figured out how to merge two books in LR6?  I still can't figure this out.

• 2. Re: how to merge books
            john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can't.

• 3. Re: how to merge books
              wobertc Adobe Community Professional

You can't.

Words from the expert, and book publisher!

If I was really desperate to 'merge' a lot of book work, I might be tempted (with a lot of thinking in the book export panel) export both books to JPGs, then restructure a 'new' book using all the JPGs using  'one photo- full page- template'.

Does John have any thoughts on the 'quality' results of exporting the pages as JPG?

• 4. Re: how to merge books
                scott.johnston Level 1

Well, at least I have my answer. Thanks. How frustrating!

I thought I could hack it with a script, but I couldn't figure out how the book data was stored in the SQLite database either.

I will attempt to merge my books offline by combining the PDF outputs at a page level and submitting it to Blurb manually.

• 5. Re: how to merge books

Your PDF route would be my choice, assuming you have the right software. The JPEG method should work too, and I doubt you would see much difference - assuming the originals are high quality .

I wouldn't recommend updating the SQL. The structure is undocumented and updating data with SQL is a great way to corrupt your catalogue. Exporting both books into a dedicated catalogue would be reduce the risk, though.

• 6. Re: how to merge books
                    wobertc Adobe Community Professional

I am curious to know how the OP- Scott,  can combine the PDFs "at page level".

I assume Adobe Acrobat can do such re-arranging.

My experience with PDFs has been very minimal.

• 7. Re: how to merge books

Yes, maybe there are other apps that can do it, but Adobe Acrobat is the tool I would use. I'm no expert and I suspect it has many other capabilities that I don't appreciate, but it's pretty easy to do stuff like this.

For example, it has a combine PDF feature which I used the other day when someone needed to review the book I was preparing. You know how Lightroom exports one PDF for the cover and another for the pages? So I used Acrobat to combine them into a single file. I also set the new PDF to open with the page thumbnails panel visible and with pages displayed side by side, just like a real book. To get the pagination right, I also inserted a blank page. Have a go!

• 8. Re: how to merge books
                        nerosunero Level 1

yes I do that way myself, by combining the pdfs in Acrobat. It's not ideal solution, just a remedy.