7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2015 7:12 PM by leonalynn0469

Downloading a new trial version while already having an old version

leonalynn0469

Can I download a new version trial without my old version being damaged, replaced or in any way messed up? Will I just have two icons (LR 6 and LR 3)?

• 1. Re: Downloading a new trial version while already having an old version
          dj_paige Level 9

Yes, there should be no problem at all, except that there is no such thing as LR6, you can't download it.

if you're asking about LR 5, go right ahead, but remember that any work you do in LR5 cannot be understood or used by LR 3, and it would be wise not to have the exact same photos in both.

• 2. Re: Downloading a new trial version while already having an old version
            leonalynn0469 Level 1

Thanks. I have a a camera LR3 does not recognize and have gone through downloading the DNG converter and the files are simply not recognized on my computer. Instead of freaking out over it (its a borrowed camera for a wedding this Saturday) I figure I will download LR5 (thanks for the correction!) and process them in there and buy the new version in a bit. So, I cannot process them and then bring the DNGs back up in LR3 so I can use my software (NIK/Alienskin)?

• 3. Re: Downloading a new trial version while already having an old version
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

DNGs contain the camera profile so an older LR version can process raws that are too new otherwise; however, the adjustments to do to the DNGs in LR 5 would not generally be understood by LR3.

You probably need to get the DNG Converter to work with your raw files and then process the DNGs in the older LR version.

If you have tried to convert the raws to DNGs using the DNG Converter and it didn’t work, the most likely issue is when specifying the source folder you need to be selecting (single-clicking) on the folder name where the raw files reside, rather than opening (double-clicking on) the folder.

Your idea to use LR 5 to process the images is risky if LR 6 isn’t released before the LR 5 30-day trial period expires.

• 4. Re: Downloading a new trial version while already having an old version
                leonalynn0469 Level 1

Thank you everyone. Yea, I am just SOL I guess. When I put the card into my computer, I go to click on that drive (where the camera card is), which brings up the DCIM folder, I see where the camera files are supposed to be, but the folder is empty. So the DNG converter has nothing in the folder to convert. I totally understand the process of the converter, but I don't understand where the files are.  I would like to think I am smarter than the software. Alas, I cannot figure this out. Where else might these dang images be? I am looking in the right spot, but its like the whole computer isn't recognizing them.

• 5. Re: Downloading a new trial version while already having an old version
                  ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you are clicking on the DCIM folder in the Select Source area of the DNG Converter then you will never see the files.  That area is selecting a FOLDER and that is all you'll see are folders--the OS is filtering for folders only when it shows you the contents.  That is ok, just single-click on the DCIM folder and select include subfolders or whatever the phrase is, select the destination folder as another place if necessary, then click Convert.

• 6. Re: Downloading a new trial version while already having an old version
                    leonalynn0469 Level 1

No, I am not in the converter at all when I am looking at the DCIM folder. I am clicking my H drive (which is the drive the card reader is located), double clicking the DCIM folder which is where the images should be and they are not there. It does pull up a subfolder called EOSMISC which is where they should be as the date on the subfolder is the date I shot the images. Double clicking that, it brings up another subfolder labeled M2867.CTG and that folder is empty. I believe the images should be at this location.  If they were there, then I would have an easy fix and could use the converter to go get them. I  know it has to be something dumb I am not doing, but for the life of me, I just don't know what it is or where these images are if they are not there.

• 7. Re: Downloading a new trial version while already having an old version
                      leonalynn0469 Level 1

I figured it out! Thank you everyone who answered. I appreciate the support.