3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2015 10:18 AM by Jao vdL

Problems importing photos to Lightroom 5.7 on iMac with Yosemite

DJE113

I have photoshop 5.7..creative cloud and it is installed on a iMac late 2014 27 retina display with Yosemite operating system.. Lightroom seems to work fine except it will not impost photos from any camera I load up to it.. I can upload photos to iPhoto but not to lioghtroom.. any suggestions?> Thanks

• 1. Re: Problems importing photos to Lightroom 5.7 on iMac with Yosemite
          Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First make sure you quit out of iPhoto and turn off that it is the app to open when you connect a camera. That preference is set in iPhoto preferences (extremely annoying that it is not a system preference). Turn the option for what happens when you connect a camera to "no application". Second, what happens when you select "import photos and videos" from the File menu in Lightroom? You should get a dialog where you can select your camera or card in the top left. It is best to use a card reader for importing but connecting a camera directly should work fine.

• 2. Re: Problems importing photos to Lightroom 5.7 on iMac with Yosemite
            DJE113 Level 1

Thanks for the info.. I tried what you suggested and I still have the issue.. LR tells me that the files cannot be read.. I'm trying to import from a Canon 6D and I also tried a Canon G11.. Additionally I tried to import from photos I saved on my desk top from I photo..Appears it's a problem between LR and Mac as the same program works perfectly on my PC..

Thanks again..

• 3. Re: Problems importing photos to Lightroom 5.7 on iMac with Yosemite
              Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That doesn't make any sense. If you can load the images into iPhoto, you should be able to load them into Lightroom. What I guess is going on is that you have the wrong destination folder selected in Lightroom. If your destination is in a place where Lightroom cannot write files (this is true for both the windows and mac os versions) it will throw an error that it cannot read the files. Very counterintuitively it will then tell you that because it cannot write to the location. So check to make sure the destination selected is in your home folder (typically inside Pictures) instead of the root level of your hard drive or another location where it shouldn't go.