• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reuse custom menu across projects

Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2015 Apr 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working in Captivate 8 and have a custom menu that I would like to reuse in multiple projects.  The menu is made from smartshapes and is placed only on the first slide, then set to display for rest of project.  It contains advanced actions.

The issue is that the other projects will start from imported PowerPoints, so the menu will need to be copied onto the "PowerPoint" slide within the Captivate course (since the PowerPoints don't import just as a background).  Of course, when I do this, I have to rename all the objects, update my advanced actions etc.  Is there a way I can copy the custom menu from one slide/project to another without renaming each object etc. each time?  I understand I can probably replicate the action of the button using shared actions, but don't know how I may be able to reuse the whole menu without renaming all the objects.

Here is a visual of my menu:

Custom Menu.png

TOPICS
Advanced

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 15, 2015 Apr 15, 2015

Alternative are shared actions. Those objects will be parameters, you could even indicate the generic name instead of your custom names. I think most users underestimate the power brought to Captivate by shared actions. And try to use groups as much as possible in the action; a parameter can be anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are talking about which 'objects'?

Why not start with that menu slide and insert Powerpoint slides after it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am referring to the group of smart shapes that makes up the custom menu.

Yes, though about that, but didn't think I could hide the first slide and still show the menu for the rest of project.  I suppose if there's no other solution I could replace the PowerPoint's title slide with a Captivate title slide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alternative are shared actions. Those objects will be parameters, you could even indicate the generic name instead of your custom names. I think most users underestimate the power brought to Captivate by shared actions. And try to use groups as much as possible in the action; a parameter can be anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Lily.  I will try to wrap my head around using shared actions with parameters.  I appreciate your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Most of my latest blog posts do use shared actions. Have a look at:

Parameters in Shared Actions - Captivate 7 vs. 8 - Captivate blog

Reuse Shared Actions in other Projects - Captivate 7 vs. 8 - Captivate blog

And this menu (call it a dashboard) was created exclusively with shared actions: Captivate 8 - First Adventures - Captivate blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources