9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2017 9:02 AM by Steve Grisetti

How do I get premiere elements 13 to read the video of my .mov files?

phyllism71082089

I am working on a PC.  How do I get premiere elements 13 to read the video of my .mov files? I hear the audio but don't see any video.Thank you.

• 1. Re: How do I get premiere elements 13 to read the video of my .mov files?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

phyllism

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 13 running on?

Have you updated 13 to 13.1 yet? If not, please do so using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates.

Please tell us if you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements. If not, then please do so since that is likely to be the solution that you need.

If that does not resolve your issue, then please post the properties of your source .mov file. The brand/model/settings for the camera that recorded the video would give us a lot of troubleshooting information.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: How do I get premiere elements 13 to read the video of my .mov files?
            phyllism71082089 Level 1

Thank you A.T Romano. I do not have quicktime installed on my PC so let me do that first. Thank you for responding!

• 3. Re: How do I get premiere elements 13 to read the video of my .mov files?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

phyllism

Thanks for the follow up. Once you install QuickTime, all should be OK. But, double check after the QuickTime install to make sure you see the QuickTIme presets in the drop down list for Presets in Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTime.

Publish+Share/Computer has several choices besides QuickTime, and QuickTIme choice may be hidden because it is toward the bottom of the list. Use the thin scroll bar to the right of the Publish+Share/Computer list of choices to scroll down to the QuickTime choice.

Looking forward to your results.

Best wishes

ATR

• 4. Re: How do I get premiere elements 13 to read the video of my .mov files?
                phyllism71082089 Level 1

Thanks A.T Romano!

I installed QT and now the video plays on the timeline which is great so thank you! However, in the browser, the preview is an audio file, not a QT preview. Any ideas how I can fix this?  See the attached pics for references. Thanks so much for any more help you can provide. Thank you!

Phyllis

ADDING MEDA IN ADOBE BROWSER

Screen Shot Audio in Browser 2.png

COMPUTER BROWSER

Screen Shot Audio in Browser.png

• 5. Re: How do I get premiere elements 13 to read the video of my .mov files?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

phyllism

Thanks for the reply. Glad that QuickTime install resolved the Premiere Elements 13/13.1 video playback problem.

When you double click any of the thumbnails for your .mov file in the Elements Organizer 13/13.1, does the Elements Organizer 13/13.1's player open to play back the .mov file contents for both video and audio?

You wrote

in the browser, the preview is an audio file, not a QT preview.

I was not sure if you were just going by what appears in the thumbnail, namely film strip with music note, or whether you had gone through the actual playback there. In the Apple Pro Res footage that I have, I get the same thumbnails that you are seeing for Windows Explorer. In Elements Organizer 13/13.1, the thumbnail for my Apple Pro Res file is just a film strip on gray.

I think what you are seeing is "normal" for the situation. But, please verify your observation with 13 updated to 13.1 if you have not done that already.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: How do I get premiere elements 13 to read the video of my .mov files?
                    phyllism71082089 Level 1

Thanks again for the reply!

YOU WROTE:

When you double click any of the thumbnails for your .mov file in the Elements Organizer 13/13.1, does the Elements Organizer 13/13.1's player open to play back the .mov file contents for both video and audio?

YES I GET VIDEO AND AUDIO

I am using 13.1. It's odd that the files don't preview in the browser as QT video clips or when I go to add media to elements they also don't preview as QT files. But I guess this is the normal. I have a attached an image for reference anyway.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Phyllis

Screen Shot Audio in Browser 3.png

• 7. Re: How do I get premiere elements 13 to read the video of my .mov files?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

phyllism

Thanks the updates.

So far, from what you have described, it sounds normal for the circumstances.

If you are not seeing the .mov file extension for these Apple ProRes files, please check your folder options to assure that you have enabled the one which un-hides file extensions. Please remind me what computer operating system is involved, and I will post the folder options details if needed.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: How do I get premiere elements 13 to read the video of my .mov files?
                        emveha67

Hi all,

A friend of mine gave me some videofiles (.MOV) of a cheap actioncam. PE15 saw those files as audiofiles so I couldn't import them as videofiles. In this post I read that installing Quicktime (QT) could solve the problem.

It did but now a new problem arose, PE15 does not play audio anymore. The audio system of my computer is working normally and in the professional mode I can see that the videofiles have an audio track but I hear nothing (yes, my volume is set to 25 :-). I imported some music files but still: no sound. I removed QT from my computer but that didn't help.

So, what to do???

Thanks in advance!

• 9. Re: How do I get premiere elements 13 to read the video of my .mov files?
                          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'd suggest you start a new thread. You've tagged onto a 2 year old thread and conversations with people who are no longer on this forum.